Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cadex Competition Chassis for a Savage 10 TR LEO vs. Cadex CDX rifle

I did a build last year based on a savage 12.
    Savage 700
    Shillen barrel 700
    Never did the chassis but the gun will do 1/4 moa so i cant see ever getting much better than that. If you dont believe me that is fine i can let you know who i sold it to. He has seen very similar results.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canadiankeeper's Avatar
    ALOT of higher up factory rifles can shoot just fine. Better then most of us I would bet, first thing I learned was to load you're own ammo if you want to REALLY dial it in.

My buddy has a savage 10TR and it shot great, easily 1 moa or better if he did his part. He then hand loaded, and lays round on top of round with it. A completely stock rifle.

I have a Remington 700, mid range... The sps tac. It was a good shooter, I dropped it in a magpul chassis (not even a high end chassis) and it now lays rounds on top of each other. Factory Vmax

Next calm day, I plan on going to get a target to put it in "my rifle shoots .50 moa all day" challenge thread. (I'm only doing it with a fixed 10x optic also! last time I was 1 group to big and it was only by .029)
    A "MID range" rifle with a "Low end" chassis with a "budget" optic that wouldn't even be worth 1/6th of what you see on some rifles... (500 ish bucks for a Bushnell elite 10x)

The rifle is only as good as the user! Just like cars!
    Last edited by Canadiankeeper; 11-13-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C1A1 FAL View Post
    I spoke to Patrice shortly after you posted and finally had a chance to provide an update in case anyone else is in this quandary. Patrice summed it up best, the Cadex rifle is a race car, my Savage is a car, capable of going around the same track, but there is a huge difference between the two. If I put my Savage in their chassis, its like putting a decent engine capable of some power in a race car. Its not the same as the Cadex, the performance engine and chassis. Patrice explained the barrels, action and why they are a far better product. I agree, the CDX is the route to go, but it then comes down to $$$$. It's a 4g+ difference.

Mounting the Savage in the Cadex addresses the things I hate the most, ergonomics, magazine capacity, tuning the rifle and resetting the riser after each clean. Patrice stated you torque it to 65 feet pounds and you go shoot (a bit more, but that's about it). I like the Cadex chassis, find it ergonomically better than anything else and its CDN. To get the competition chassis, skeletonized folding stock, bag rider, side rail(s) and bipod rail I am going to spend $800 more than anything else I priced out. As an example the MDT will be about $800 less when set up the same.

But why put a $700 gun in an expensive chassis? First off, I think I can justify this. There is no way the bank manager (wife) will let me spend another $6500+ to get a new firearm the way I want it. The Savage I own shoots very well, it averages <3/4" MOA out to 400m and I am a very new shooter (360 rounds to date). I think the action and barrel can keep me going for a long time until I can out shoot this Savage. Once I need to get a better action/barrel there are some Savage compatible options that will allow me to turn this into a much more accurate rifle, but use the same chassis. An aftermarket action and barrel that will fit the Savage seems to be the solution for the long term.

I expect a lot of shooters will think this is nuts, but I can only own one rifle. My rifle and stock stripped of the toys is worth $500 at best on a used market with the cheek riser, barely a dent in a CDX. It seems the right solution but only time will tell.

Attachment 73581

(FYI: The data book is from Impact Data Books. Targets are Hornady and are peel and stick)
    Glad to hear you've found something that works for YOU.
    Cheers, happy shooting.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by C1A1 FAL View Post
    Dundurn? You must have done something really wrong in a former life..
    I asked to go ...lol, I just want t finish my career on a small base.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234