Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cadex Competition Chassis for a Savage 10 TR LEO vs. Cadex CDX rifle

Cadex Competition Chassis for a Savage 10 TR LEO vs. Cadex CDX rifle

I just took the Level 1 course through RFMA (Rob Furlong) and would have bought a Cadex on the spot if it was possible (impulse buying). I am interested in PRS and want to go that direction with my current shooting. My issue, do I buy the new Competition Chassis for the Savage 10 TR LEO or wait a few years until I can afford a complete CDX rifle? I feel like I am putting a Ford engine in a Porsche. Will I get any decent improvement with the chassis or is it better to save up for a full CDX rifle?

How much real world accuracy does the Cadex chassis provide with a Savage 10 TR LEO? I am shooting 1/2 MOA right now (RMFA gets most of the credit).

I have already started going the Cadex route, my rifle shot poorly on my course (dinner plate size groups) until we removed the cheap compensator and added a Cadex MX1 muzzle brake.

BANNED
    I was exactly in your situation, I had a Savage 10 and wanted to put it in a stock but instead I just saved my cash for a complete rifle. and Im glad I did.

Ive tuned some savages around chassis systems with excellent results too, just to muddy the water for you.
    For me, the ergonomics of a chassis improve my shooting by quantifiable amounts.
    Tunning your rifle and reloads for its specifics can also really close the gap.
    The other side of the coin, is the chassis with your current rifle leaves a lot of $$ to spend on arguably the most important part... trigger time.
    I'm a displaced redneck, stuck in a city.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer condomboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IAFS View Post
    Ive tuned some savages around chassis systems with excellent results too, just to muddy the water for you.
    For me, the ergonomics of a chassis improve my shooting by quantifiable amounts.
    Tunning your rifle and reloads for its specifics can also really close the gap.
    The other side of the coin, is the chassis with your current rifle leaves a lot of $$ to spend on arguably the most important part... trigger time.
    Glass?
    If you know how many guns you have... you don't have enough

CGN frequent flyer
    A savage will always be a savage no matter what clothes it wears (same as if it was a Remington or whatever).

Will it make you a better shooter? Probably not, but it will probably make you happy. There are a couple on the EE if I remember correctly.

You only live once!

I have looked at doing both. I had a savage in 338 lm that shot very well, I'm talking really well. I was gonna buy the chassis but heard and read way too many times that when it comes down to it, you only wanna cry once. I bought the Cadex. I had to sell 4 rifles and a shotgun... and several scopes... and use my tip money from guiding, to raise the funds but I can tell you... I don't regret it. The Cadex system is awesome! It shoots like a dream. First hand load I tried in my rifle shot a 5 shot group at .4"... and that was at 200m!!! I haven't shot groups at that range since (sorry to guys who only do ten shot groups to prove accuracy) cause its expensive to feed, but it is oh so satisfying to hear that WHACK DINNNNGGGG coming back from long range! Work hard and sacrifice to get it and it will always feel good to pull the trigger!

I'm also generally of the "buy once, cry once" mindset, but with something as individual as a PRS rifle, you might be better served by buying a used starter rifle and trying your first match to see what works and what doesn't for you in particular. All that trigger time you would lose out on while saving up is something you cannot make up.

I have a Savage. They cut corners intelligently, so they are accurate, but rough in ways that may irritate you. I have since started on a build off a Tikka action because it's the best value for me. Note that I am still sticking with .308 Win because I don't yet want to invest in new dies, brass, bullets, primers and powder for a hotshot cartridge like 6x47L. I'm taking it in steps so that I can try to avoid too many costly mistakes. Do you know what cartridge you want to use? How is your reloading? What glass are you going to buy?

If you really want to wait out on the Cadex I would strongly suggest you get a .22LR trainer in the interim so that you can at least learn positional shooting and practice. I did not do enough practice before the Meaford match and was very disappointed with my performance. The .22LR trainer is also way cheaper to shoot and will allow you to get better at reading wind on a shorter range.

I've done a lot of back and forth on the same issues as you over the last year. Feel free to PM if you want to discuss.

And remember, opinions are like a--holes - we all have them.

The condomed one makes a very good point. However there's a lot of new scopes on the market at the 1000$ range that will make most people very happy.
    I made the costly cartridge journey jadam is refering to... in the end I settled into a 6BR. Not before swapping countless barrels, brass, dies, and powders. Poorer by attrition, but I sure learned a alot... especially the how to not make those same mistakes again.
    I'm a displaced redneck, stuck in a city.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    I would get a chassis for your savage. If you find down the road you still desire a cdx rifle, you can always sell the savage without losing too much money.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

BANNED
    Not true I had to part out my Savage build at a big loss.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast