Thread: Scope Ring Height

Scope Ring Height

Hoping some Gun-nuts (or Cadex) can help me out here:

I just bought a Cadex Field Strike Chassis (love it), in Savage Long Action.
    I also have a Sightron S3 8-32, with a 56mm objective bell.
    As you know, the top rail on the chassis is long, and low.

Does anyone have experience mating these 2 products with rings? The rings I have now are way too low and the bell impacts the rail. If anyone is running the field strike chassis, and has a 30mm scope with a 56mm bell, please let me know what rings you are using, and what clearance you have between the ob-bell and the top rail.

Thanks in advance CGN. Hoping you guys can help me choose right first time!!

no-one huh?

The height of our mounts is always measured from the top of the rail to the center of the scope. In the case of a tilted mount the measurement is made at the back plane of the rear ring.

So which height do you need? First off you need to know the outer diameter of your objective. Please note that "3-12x56" does not mean that the scope has an outer objective diameter of 56 mm - only that the objective lens is 56 mm in diameter. Different scopes have different outer diameters for the same lens diameters and it's not uncommon that different models from the same manufacturer feature different outer diameters even if the lens diameter is the same.

Take the measurement above and divide it by two (2) to get the theoretical minimum height required if the optics will be mounted onto a flat rail that extends to and/or past the objective bell. This theoretical minimum height is theoretical for a reason. If the objective has a 62 mm outer diameter and you choose a 31 mm high mount the objective will be in contact with the rail. You will therefore need to add to the theoretical minimum height to get the practical minimum height.

So how much do you need to add? That depends on your personal preference and on what kind of lens caps etc., you want to use. Also, if you want to use a tilted mount/base you will need to add additional clearance.

If you intend to mount the optics onto a bolt action rifle with Picatinny base you can often use a lower mount than the theoretical minimum height above. Just subtract the height of the base from the theoretical minimum height mentioned above. Depending on barrel contour you might be able to go even lower. But don't forget to leave some clearance for lens caps and/or sunshades!

If you want to try what I did, use ATRS extra high rings.

+1 on atrs rings I use x high on my full length rail and tangent theta
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

CGN Ultra frequent flyer thump_rrr's Avatar
    Don’t argue with idiots. They’ll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

For a scope that size on a flat top style chassis you will likely need some extra high mounts around 1.25 to 1.35 inch if I remember correctly. Had the same issue with my MDT chassis and a 50 mil objective scope. I ended up using some extra high Burris tactical mounts. But another option is to use a cantilever style mount. That should give you adequate height for such a large objective bell.

Thanks guys!

CGN Regular
    If you go to a store that sells rings they will let you test the fit prior to buying. I suggest steel rings. The difference is usually only about 1 or 2 ounces and steel is 3 times as strong as aluminum and it doesnt snap under strain. Leupold makes quality quality rings. Had nightforce rings and they are overpriced. A quality machined ring doesnt need to cost what some places claim to charge.