Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 717192021222324252627282930313233343537 ... LastLast

Thread: APC223-SA Final specifications - place your order now.

Quote Originally Posted by cgcox View Post
    I'm sure it's mentioned or shot down somewhere in this forum , will it be possible to swap out barrels ( 223 to 300 blk out ) after purchase ?
    These rifles are not designed with a quick change barrel, this is something I will have to look into, I will report back.

Well folks, we’ve just proven that the new B&T APC 223 is indeed capable of cleanly harvesting whitetail deer!

After a week of frustration, and passing up a number of less-than-ideal shot opportunities, I finally bagged a young Manitoba buck with our first preproduction prototype of the new APC 223 from Brugger & Thomet. Two nights in a row, this buck came creeping down the same trail across a cutline past my blind, but offered me nothing but a steep front quartering shot from around 150 yards away. With any of my other rifles, I wouldn’t have hesitated, however with the .223 Remington cartridge, I really wanted to wait for an ideal broadside shot opportunity to ensure good penetration so I let him walk. The morning after he gave me the slip the second time, I passed on yet another shot on a smaller buck for the same reason. The following evening, I decided to change my tactics and simply lay flat on top of a small hill further south of my blind so I’d hopefully have a clear broadside shot if the buck decided to cross the same trail for a third night in a row.

Shortly after laying down, a pair of does began feeding a few hundred yards south of me in the pasture. Just as the sun began to set, a second group of does began feeding their way across the field towards me from behind, getting closer and closer until the first doe spotted me at about 15 yards. To my surprise and relief, she simply snorted once and changed direction. The others followed her, and they didn’t seem to be bothered any further by my presence. As the first group of does continued to feed to the south of me, I caught sight of motion from the treeline, as the same small buck who gave me the slip the last two nights emerged to pursue the ladies still grazing to my south.

Knowing the path he was on was 230 yards from my position, I rotated 90 degrees and crawled just far enough to bring the muzzle of the rifle clear from the last few scraggly clumps of grass that stood between me and the buck. As he jogged through a low spot towards the does, I swung down the legs on my Atlas bipod and fixed my rifle on the edge of the low spot to wait for him to emerge. His attention focused solely ahead, I let out a loud grunt which made him freeze promptly, finally presenting the broadside shot for which I’d been waiting so patiently the last several days. With the sun now faded behind the trees, I plastered the soflty glowing center dot of my Swarovski just above his centerline and behind the shoulder before pressing the trigger to be rewarded with a comforting “bang-thump”. The buck gave the telltale “donkey kick” usually evident of a solid hit, and ran towards the treeline a few yards distant, but began to wobble even before reaching it. Just as he made his way past the first line of trees, I heard a resounding crash come from the bush. Patience. I set my shooting sticks down pointing directly at where he’d entered the trees, took a deep breath, and hiked back to the house about half a mile away to drop off some of my heavier unneeded gear and walked back to the site of the hit shortly after.

As I made my way towards where I’d seen him enter the trees, my eyes picked up the beautiful site of a white belly sticking up out of the grass only a few yards past the edge of the bush. Upon field dressing my quarry, I found that the 55gr Hornady VMAX impacted precisely where I’d intended in the center of the lungs, leaving both of them destroyed, and still exiting with a small 1” hole on the opposite side- impressive performance I’d say! And with that, I’d become the first person ever to harvest a game animal with the new non-restricted B&T APC 223, and although it may not have been a huge trophy by some standards (as a Saskatchewan-born boy, myself included), the venison in my freezer is more than enough for my own satisfaction. Besides, this is only the beginning...

Rifle: Brugger & Thomet APC .223 18.6” Non-Restricted
    Optic: Swarovski Z6i 2-12X50
    Accessories: Atlas BT10 bipod, B&T AR buttstock adapter, Magpul PRS buttstock
    Ammunition: Hornady 55gr VMAX factory load

DISCLAIMER: I am fully aware of the risks and ramifications of using “varmint” calibers and ammunition to hunt big game, and I took every possible precaution to ensure an ethical kill. I passed up numerous shots when I was not certain of a clean shot opportunity, I waited many hours to have the opportunity to fire from a steady rest at a stationary, broadside animal. I placed the shot in the correct spot, I waited to ensure the animal had expired before making any attempt to pursue it, and it resulted in a one-shot deer season for me. If you believe that what I did was not ethical, I fully respect that, but I do know of one whitetail that serves to prove otherwise.

The above was written by Evan, one of my staff.
    I would also like to add that in Manitoba it is legal to hunt deer with any center fire rifle but with the small calibers shot placement is critical. Evan is a fine shot and this hunt certainly shows that patience and shot placement is the key to success.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Well folks, we’ve just proven that the new B&T APC 223 is indeed capable of cleanly harvesting whitetail deer!

After a week of frustration, and passing up a number of less-than-ideal shot opportunities, I finally bagged a young Manitoba buck with our first preproduction prototype of the new APC 223 from Brugger & Thomet. Two nights in a row, this buck came creeping down the same trail across a cutline past my blind, but offered me nothing but a steep front quartering shot from around 150 yards away. With any of my other rifles, I wouldn’t have hesitated, however with the .223 Remington cartridge, I really wanted to wait for an ideal broadside shot opportunity to ensure good penetration so I let him walk. The morning after he gave me the slip the second time, I passed on yet another shot on a smaller buck for the same reason. The following evening, I decided to change my tactics and simply lay flat on top of a small hill further south of my blind so I’d hopefully have a clear broadside shot if the buck decided to cross the same trail for a third night in a row.

Shortly after laying down, a pair of does began feeding a few hundred yards south of me in the pasture. Just as the sun began to set, a second group of does began feeding their way across the field towards me from behind, getting closer and closer until the first doe spotted me at about 15 yards. To my surprise and relief, she simply snorted once and changed direction. The others followed her, and they didn’t seem to be bothered any further by my presence. As the first group of does continued to feed to the south of me, I caught sight of motion from the treeline, as the same small buck who gave me the slip the last two nights emerged to pursue the ladies still grazing to my south.

Knowing the path he was on was 230 yards from my position, I rotated 90 degrees and crawled just far enough to bring the muzzle of the rifle clear from the last few scraggly clumps of grass that stood between me and the buck. As he jogged through a low spot towards the does, I swung down the legs on my Atlas bipod and fixed my rifle on the edge of the low spot to wait for him to emerge. His attention focused solely ahead, I let out a loud grunt which made him freeze promptly, finally presenting the broadside shot for which I’d been waiting so patiently the last several days. With the sun now faded behind the trees, I plastered the soflty glowing center dot of my Swarovski just above his centerline and behind the shoulder before pressing the trigger to be rewarded with a comforting “bang-thump”. The buck gave the telltale “donkey kick” usually evident of a solid hit, and ran towards the treeline a few yards distant, but began to wobble even before reaching it. Just as he made his way past the first line of trees, I heard a resounding crash come from the bush. Patience. I set my shooting sticks down pointing directly at where he’d entered the trees, took a deep breath, and hiked back to the house about half a mile away to drop off some of my heavier unneeded gear and walked back to the site of the hit shortly after.

As I made my way towards where I’d seen him enter the trees, my eyes picked up the beautiful site of a white belly sticking up out of the grass only a few yards past the edge of the bush. Upon field dressing my quarry, I found that the 55gr Hornady VMAX impacted precisely where I’d intended in the center of the lungs, leaving both of them destroyed, and still exiting with a small 1” hole on the opposite side- impressive performance I’d say! And with that, I’d become the first person ever to harvest a game animal with the new non-restricted B&T APC 223, and although it may not have been a huge trophy by some standards (as a Saskatchewan-born boy, myself included), the venison in my freezer is more than enough for my own satisfaction. Besides, this is only the beginning...

Rifle: Brugger & Thomet APC .223 18.6” Non-Restricted
    Optic: Swarovski Z6i 2-12X50
    Accessories: Atlas BT10 bipod, B&T AR buttstock adapter, Magpul PRS buttstock
    Ammunition: Hornady 55gr VMAX factory load

DISCLAIMER: I am fully aware of the risks and ramifications of using “varmint” calibers and ammunition to hunt big game, and I took every possible precaution to ensure an ethical kill. I passed up numerous shots when I was not certain of a clean shot opportunity, I waited many hours to have the opportunity to fire from a steady rest at a stationary, broadside animal. I placed the shot in the correct spot, I waited to ensure the animal had expired before making any attempt to pursue it, and it resulted in a one-shot deer season for me. If you believe that what I did was not ethical, I fully respect that, but I do know of one whitetail that serves to prove otherwise.

The above was written by Evan, one of my staff.
    I would also like to add that in Manitoba it is legal to hunt deer with any center fire rifle but with the small calibers shot placement is critical. Evan is a fine shot and this hunt certainly shows that patience and shot placement is the key to success.
    Very cool story BUT pics of the whitetail and Apc or it didn't happen!!!!
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer norlandgeese's Avatar
    Nice account of the story.
    55gr eh that's impressive.
    Mismatch is the new black

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SigWig's Avatar
    tag, Let me know when the 1-7 twist comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    These rifles are not designed with a quick change barrel, this is something I will have to look into, I will report back.
    This is the reply I received from B&T.

Unfortunately our current system does not allow a barrel-change by the operator.

However, a trained armorer with a machine-park can do it.

Means the following steps has to be done;

- Tighten the new barrel into the barrel-block and verify the head-space
    - Position the receiver with the mounted barrel and drill the gas-hole on the correct position acc. to our drawing
    - Position the gas-block to the barrel and drill the 2 pin-holes
    - Mount the pins and assemble the rifle

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated

Hey Wolverine

Can you tell us what percentage approx of these have sold in non restricted?

And whether there is any other info on the potential .308 version...?

Much obliged.

Business Member Rep Wolverine .303's Avatar
    Lattitude - 49.89617 | Longitude - 100.85384
    1.) Lots..
    2.) No info. Mr Wolverine is away at the moment so he will answer that one when more information becomes available to us. Right now not much to say sorry.

No problem.
    Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com
    www.wolverinesupplies.com

Totally unrelated but can someone tell me how I can start a thread like this one but obviously on a different topic