Thread: Ultralight stock for lightweight build 300WM

Salty Knife Nut

Ultralight stock for lightweight build 300WM

Question for you guys and fellow CGNers.

I am putting together a "lightweight" hybrid build. Pierce Ti Action, 24" CF wrapped barrel, etc. I want to put it in a Carbon Fiber stock as well, maybe MacMillan or Manners.

Do you guys think there is a lightweight stock limit that may negatively reduce performance in a larger caliber like 300WM due to flex, harmonics etc? I want to go light but am willing to make compromises as I would like it to have a good bedding block and probably will go with a DM system as well.

I know you guys offer an array of stocks and would be interested to see what you recommend

I broke an edge on my 300 wm with 200gr partitions.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ceriksson View Post
    Question for you guys and fellow CGNers.

I am putting together a "lightweight" hybrid build. Pierce Ti Action, 24" CF wrapped barrel, etc. I want to put it in a Carbon Fiber stock as well, maybe MacMillan or Manners.

Do you guys think there is a lightweight stock limit that may negatively reduce performance in a larger caliber like 300WM due to flex, harmonics etc? I want to go light but am willing to make compromises as I would like it to have a good bedding block and probably will go with a DM system as well.

I know you guys offer an array of stocks and would be interested to see what you recommend
    Several of us here have lighter weight rifles bedded into McMillan carbon fiber stocks in calibers ranging from 300 Win Mag to 338 Lapua and we have seen no issues at all with the stocks not standing up or any accuracy concerns.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by kman300 View Post
    I broke an edge on my 300 wm with 200gr partitions.
    And McMillan warranted it no problem, right? Assuming you are referring to 1 of McMillans Edge technology stocks?
    Or are you meaning a 200 gr Partition is capable of breaking a stock?

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

I did an McMillan game scout edge in 300wsm. No issues whatsoever. Awesome stock.

Salty Knife Nut
    Ok thanks. Gives me some things to think about for my stock choice. Thinking of one of the Mcmillan's. But some of the manners look good too

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    And McMillan warranted it no problem, right? Assuming you are referring to 1 of McMillans Edge technology stocks?
    Or are you meaning a 200 gr Partition is capable of breaking a stock?
    I mean I had a McMillan edge pattern stock that broke shooting a 300 win mag that was fed 200gr partitons. Yes they warrantied it, yes it took time, yes it had to be rebedded and yes it was a pain in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by kman300 View Post
    I mean I had a McMillan edge pattern stock that broke shooting a 300 win mag that was fed 200gr partitons. Yes they warrantied it, yes it took time, yes it had to be rebedded and yes it was a pain in the butt.
    Could it possibly have been the bedding or assembly being part of the problem?
    I have seen stock failures from both.
    The nice part is that their warranty is unquestionable. Yes a PITA given that each stock was made to order up until recently, but I am sure they hustled to get you looked after. That has been our experience with any issue we have ever had with McMillan stocks.

Close enough to Edmonton for parts and far enough outside the no shooting zone.
    Wildcat Composites , Var Tac Carbon forend for stiffness off bipod , fiberglass for recoil absorption, reinforced grip for magnum calibers. Has to be milled for a long action .
    20.0 oz stock if you are looking for an actual light weight stock. Has the full barrel channel for a Carbon wrapped barrel. It actually has a fully wrapped barrel channel instead of being milled out.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.