Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little to no reference check for PAL/RPAL?

BANNED

Little to no reference check for PAL/RPAL?

Hey everyone. I just got my PAL/RPAL in the mail today (a day after I checked the online status) and something funny/odd occurred to me, which I thought I would ask some other newly licensed people.

I had a hiccup with a few things on my application which caused a bit of a delay, which was fine because I wasn't in a too big of a rush to get my license. Overall it took about 45/55 days to my my license.

The odd thing that I was very confused by, was the reference and personal check steps that a lot of people have gone though.

Calling of 2 References
    Calling of your Guarantor
    and finally a personal phone interview

Only my one references was contacted (VIA a letter in the mail for her to call in for a interview).

That was it.... no one else was called, nor was I contacted for a phone interview. I've heard of this happening when just applying for a Non-restricted license. Being that I applied for a PAL/RPAL, I thought it would have been a little more in depth.

Oh well thought. I'm not complaining though

Your reference prob gave enuf info an implied that your were fairly stable an it was the end of the day so they hit the processed an in the mail button.
    :D STUPID is supposed to be fatal, but we spend countless resources to protect IDIOTS from being the cause of their own demise. Occasionally a ray of sunshine comes through an STUPID manages to do the job it was intended to do.

Back in the 90's when it took 6 to 8 months to get a license they often did no reference check at all.
    "In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.”
    Theodore Roosevelt

Same boat as you here. Just checked my application status online after work today around 5:00pm and it said that the application had been received and trough initial processing and is now being processed. It said they hand received it on the 21st of November. So I call in after reading that (around 5:20) and a guy answers the phone, I ask him if I was able to do my interview with him now (after he verified I had an application with them) and he said "no, the applicant does not need to have an interview" (thinking something was weird here I immediately responded with) "really? Even for an Rpal" and he said no. I then asked if I could have my references call in and he said yes and gave me the number and extension and my application number for them to call in with. He then said that only one of them had to call. So I got my mom to call about 15 minutes later and everything went fine and smooth and the lady speaking with her just said to notify them if anything changes and they feel I would be a danger with firearms etc... and that's where I'm at now. I looked online and my status hasn't changed and the application fee was charged to my credit card this morning (which I actually only noticed about 20 minutes ago coincidentally enough)... so my question after reading everyone else's experiences is, why has this been so easy? lol

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BlackVoid's Avatar
    Wife was contacted, both references were contacted, interview was done. Although it was very short: "why do you need RPAL? For sport shooting. OK."

CGN frequent flyer Sunchild2071's Avatar
    I had no "personal" phone interview.

If I didn't, I'd deem it safe to say that no-one does.
    Are you taking over, or are you taking orders?
    Live free, live Cree!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    I just sent my RPAL application in the other day. I've had my PAL for a few years now. Just broke up with a common law GF that I dated for 6 years, lived with for 4. I'm interested to see who they call, and what they ask. I'll dig this thread back up and report back when I get my license

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer coldshot's Avatar
    When I applied for my Rpal, after waiting for what seemed like too long I contacted the firearms office and asked them what the holdup was, they said that they couldn't contact one of my references that I had named on my application, and that they had to talk to him before things moved on. They told me to get him to call them, after he called them I got it in about ten days.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BlackVoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
    Just broke up with a common law GF that I dated for 6 years, lived with for 4.
    You are in...

Basically any word that she feels "threatened" and your RPAL is dead.

CGN Regular
    My friend did the interview for my RPAL, it took him under 3 minutes to complete the interview. Don't know why it was so short.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast