Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little to no reference check for PAL/RPAL?

CGN frequent flyer
    took me 5 months to get mine. had my references call in to speed things up. GF called in and they said there was no need to but did give her info on who to contact if she ever felt threatened by me, she laughed and thanked them.

My one friend on the other hand is on month 8 and they said they need to speak to him but every time he calls in they say they're not ready. he's getting impatient but thats the price to play.

I had another friend that got is RPAL within the minimum (30 days) but he's also a sheriff with corrections Canada so he got rubber-stamped.
    CCFR Member

been a while since I got mine and it took me 4 months to get it and they called everyone on mine. Could be with all their cutbacks in recent years that they can no longer meet the demands and try to cut corners. Maybe on purpose so that someone does "get thru" that has bad intentions and then they can use that as an achilles heal to bring us all down for owning firearms

Got my rpal last year. They talked to my reference for 3 mins(family member) and talked to me for 2 mins. My waiting time was minimal, I also answered NO to the questions on the application so your results will vary

my rpal took almost 9months. My references did their job, the wife talked on the phone with them for a fews mins, they gave her the "if you ever feel threatened speech". For whatever reason they just forgot about talking to me....as in, my rpal didnt get approved until I had to walk into the CFO office in surrey and demand a meeting on the spot to get my rpal moved along. The CFO was an assh*le, we didn't get along at all. He went on a fishing trip trying to get info out of me that he didn't need( what guns do I own, how many, do I own any semi auto's etc) I looked him right in the face and told him to piss off. We glared at each other, he left to go run my name, came back about 5mins later, told me I was a stubborn prick, and then said my rpal was approved.
    Liberal party of Canada- Useless since 1867

Quote Originally Posted by murph83 View Post
    told me I was a stubborn prick
    One of my favourite compliments.

I submitted my PAL/RPAL application a couple weeks after my 18th birthday. I only needed one reference called as well (my high school teacher). My teacher completed his interview for me within minutes but told me when he did the interview thing for his neighbour (who was also applying for a license), my teacher was on the phone for over 45 minutes. The guy was asking him all sorts of questions.

I always thought at the time when I got my license (which is a few months ago), that since I'm 18 I don't have much life experience so there was nothing they could find in my background checks. I thought that was why they were more lax on my application. But it appears others are having the same process.

I got everything done and faxed the CFO everything they needed, so they issued the license to me on the 28th day of the wait period.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
    You are in...

Basically any word that she feels "threatened" and your RPAL is dead.
    I kept it very civil for reasons just like this. Nothing at all to be gained by being an ass during a break-up, but a lot to lose. Similar to leaving a job. Never any sense in burning a bridge, when you might need a reference in the future. We're on good terms; I mentioned that the RCMP might be contacting her when she came over to sign the application. She said not to worry, that she's known me for 6 years, and knows that I would never threaten her or anyone with a firearm (And that she would say that to the RCMP as well).

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

Took me 28 days to get my rpal issued, first license. I had one of my references call in, they never talked to my wife, who was also my photo guarantor. Only spoke to one reference. Didn't interview me. Could have help that the one reference was also an rpal holder but who knows.

A little surprised they didn't dig a bit further.

I had no references called, and aside from a mistake on my payment info. It took just about a month from the time sent to the time i had my pal/rpal in hand. It would have been even faster if I had made no mistakes. I was shocked lol

I was never contacted and neither was my wife (also my photo guarantor) and my references would have told me if they got contacted. Mind you, I do personally know a guy in the Sask CFO office... maybe he processed mine cause he knew I'm not a whacko?
    National Firearms Association Member NFA, Canadian Coalition For Firearms Rights Member CCFR, Canadian Shooting Sports Association Member CSSA,
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation Member SWF, Conservative Party of Canada Member CPC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12