Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011

Thread: Considering a new chrono? Read these reviews.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Hotwheels81's Avatar
    Picked mine up Friday at the Easter show, just got back from the range testing CCI Mini Mag and Federal 525 bulk...
    Pretty easy to get setup and get good numbers, bringing a cheap sectional cleaning rod would be far more useful than the guide rod they supply in the kit but it does work, I just put an aluminum sectional Rod in my kit when I got home so problem solved.... Nice touch in the programming putting the string reset on Pg2 so you don't accidentally delete it...

No buyers remorse so far :-)
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I live by a simple code, empty clip an then reload.

Business Member Western Metal Inc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
    Picked mine up Friday at the Easter show, just got back from the range testing CCI Mini Mag and Federal 525 bulk...
    Pretty easy to get setup and get good numbers, bringing a cheap sectional cleaning rod would be far more useful than the guide rod they supply in the kit but it does work, I just put an aluminum sectional Rod in my kit when I got home so problem solved.... Nice touch in the programming putting the string reset on Pg2 so you don't accidentally delete it...

No buyers remorse so far :-)
    Thank you for the feedback. We sold out of the Sporters at the show and have a few V3's on the shelves. More Sporters will be arriving soon.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Finally getting my promised review out of the Sporter version with added blast shield (bolded to ensure what model is being reviewed): I wanted to use it twice to be sure, not 'jump the chrony" so to speak!

The first attempt at using it was with a rifle with a .30 caliber Heathen brake (Western: remove if wrong to mentioned brand, wanted to note those are useable with the Sporter) with no issues: there was still an inch from the device end to the blast shield.

I went to the range with the rifle and made sure to have another range member there with a Labradar. The Magnetospeed was quick, simple and easy to attach during a standard range time: no special set up, no needing to be in front of the firing line, no stands, etc. The Magnetospeed matched the Labradar on every shot from my rifle with lead free Barnes TSX bullets (all 10 shots recorded exactly the same on both, all 10 averaged 3110fps). I did not shoot it using another rifle but during some cool downs I loaned the Sporter out twice. The first was a fellow shooter was shooting a subsonic 300BLK: we did find that his ammo averaging just over 1000fps did cause four read errors out of 10 shots and the remaining six were about +/- 50fps different than the Labradar. The manufacturer warns that steel free bullets under 2000pfs would be an issue. I attempted to get someone shooting a much faster caliber, but the highest I could loan it to was shooting around 3800fps: there were no issues with the Magnetospeed Sporter matching the Labradar.
    First Use: 8.0/10
    Good: Easy, fast, simple. The price, if you know its limitations, is awesome!
    Mediocre: Instinctively I want a guide rod bore size to check alignment because it feels too close to the trajectory, rubber pad falls off changing barrels easy.
    Bad: If you are shooting low speeds or a handgun (can't attach to barrel) it won't work.

The second attempt was a fun day out at the farm with family and a family friend. I tried quite a few rifles including: the heavy barrel with brake (see above) again, a standard barrel older Ruger rifle, a pencil lightweight barrel and other rifles. We took three shots with each rifle to test the Sporter on: the intent was to move the Magnetospeed as much as possible to find an issue, not to shoot a lot with each rifle.

There was only two issues I found:
    I felt the taper on the old Ruger rifle was a bit 'scary" looking and attempted to shim the rubber pad of the Sporter slightly to prevent shooting the tip of the Sporter. No go with a rubber shim. I got an ERROR 2 every time likely because the Magnetospeed was moving too much with the small rubber shim I attempted. Removing the shim and being very tight with the attachment caused the issue to go away. All readings that day were as expected from previous records of the reloads shot. Overall, a good day shooting on a long weekend trying it out!
    As well, the lightweight rifle with very fast, light bullets was recoiling enough that the Sporter had to be pulled back as it was creeping forward 3/16 of an inch on every shot. I blame very 'snappy" recoil and a very tiny muzzle.
    Second Use: 8.5/10
    Good: Easy, fast, simple. Other people seeing it were impressed. The biggest thing said was, loosely quoting the family friend, "That'd be so easy to use at the range: shooters get pissed when you hog the range time setting up a Chrony stand." The price was impressive to others for its use even if limited to rifles.
    Mediocre: Instinctively I still want a guide rod bore size to check alignment because it feels too close to the trajectory.
    Changing barrels a lot the rubber pad falls off the Sporter easily (have to keep an eye on it).
    It is not an attach and forget device, it needs checked for alignment in case of small barrel, heavy barrel taper and/or heavy recoil.

OVERALL: I bought the Magnetospeed Sporter for use on standard & heavy barrel firearms shooting 2000-4000fps at the range and this is certainly where it shines. A solid 8.5/10 or better.
    Last edited by Aniest; 04-19-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spell'n
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

Business Member Western Metal Inc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    Finally getting my promised review out of the Sporter version with added blast shield (bolded to ensure what model is being reviewed): I wanted to use it twice to be sure, not 'jump the chrony" so to speak!

The first attempt at using it was with a rifle with a .30 caliber Heathen brake (Western: remove if wrong to mentioned brand, wanted to note those are useable with the Sporter) with no issues: there was still an inch from the device end to the blast shield.

I went to the range with the rifle and made sure to have another range member there with a Labradar. The Magnetospeed was quick, simple and easy to attach during a standard range time: no special set up, no needing to be in front of the firing line, no stands, etc. The Magnetospeed matched the Labradar on every shot from my rifle with lead free Barnes TSX bullets (all 10 shots recorded exactly the same on both, all 10 averaged 3110fps). I did not shoot it using another rifle but during some cool downs I loaned the Sporter out twice. The first was a fellow shooter was shooting a subsonic 300BLK: we did find that his ammo averaging just over 1000fps did cause four read errors out of 10 shots and the remaining six were about +/- 50fps different than the Labradar. The manufacturer warns that steel free bullets under 2000pfs would be an issue. I attempted to get someone shooting a much faster caliber, but the highest I could loan it to was shooting around 3800fps: there were no issues with the Magnetospeed Sporter matching the Labradar.
    First Use: 8.0/10
    Good: Easy, fast, simple. The price, if you know its limitations, is awesome!
    Mediocre: Instinctively I want a guide rod bore size to check alignment because it feels too close to the trajectory, rubber pad falls off changing barrels easy.
    Bad: If you are shooting low speeds or a handgun (can't attach to barrel) it won't work.

The second attempt was a fun day out at the farm with family and a family friend. I tried quite a few rifles including: the heavy barrel with brake (see above) again, a standard barrel older Ruger rifle, a pencil lightweight barrel and other rifles. We took three shots with each rifle to test the Sporter on: the intent was to move the Magnetospeed as much as possible to find an issue, not to shoot a lot with each rifle.

There was only two issues I found:
    I felt the taper on the old Ruger rifle was a bit 'scary" looking and attempted to shim the rubber pad of the Sporter slightly to prevent shooting the tip of the Sporter. No go with a rubber shim. I got an ERROR 2 every time likely because the Magnetospeed was moving too much with the small rubber shim I attempted. Removing the shim and being very tight with the attachment caused the issue to go away. All readings that day were as expected from previous records of the reloads shot. Overall, a good day shooting on a long weekend trying it out!
    As well, the lightweight rifle with very fast, light bullets was recoiling enough that the Sporter had to be pulled back as it was creeping forward 3/16 of an inch on every shot. I blame very 'snappy" recoil and a very tiny muzzle.
    Second Use: 8.5/10
    Good: Easy, fast, simple. Other people seeing it were impressed. The biggest thing said was, loosely quoting the family friend, "That'd be so easy to use at the range: shooters get pissed when you hog the range time setting up a Chrony stand." The price was impressive to others for its use even if limited to rifles.
    Mediocre: Instinctively I still want a guide rod bore size to check alignment because it feels too close to the trajectory.
    Changing barrels a lot the rubber pad falls off the Sporter easily (have to keep an eye on it).
    It is not an attach and forget device, it needs checked for alignment in case of small barrel, heavy barrel taper and/or heavy recoil.

OVERALL: I bought the Magnetospeed Sporter for use on standard & heavy barrel firearms shooting 2000-400fps at the range and this is certainly where it shines. A solid 8.5/10 or better.
    Thank you for the review. I have passed this onto Magnetospeed.

CGN frequent flyer
    If I understand correctly there are problems with the sporter version and slow bullets? I have the V3 and it's never had a problem with my cast bullets using black powder. They are generally going between 1200 and 1370 fps or so. I wonder what the differences are...

Chris.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunlaker View Post
    If I understand correctly there are problems with the sporter version and slow bullets? I have the V3 and it's never had a problem with my cast bullets using black powder. They are generally going between 1200 and 1370 fps or so. I wonder what the differences are...

Chris.
    The one guy I loaned it to try was running subsonic Sierra 220gr reloads for a semi-automatic pistol length carbine AR-15. Because there was a report before of slow bullets having an issue not creating a proper magnetic signature to read I assumed that was the issue: it could have been the firearm, could be the Sporter was jammed between the birdcage and the rail on barely enough room...

I know somewhere it was said slow bullets were an issue.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

I carry wooden dowel with mine to double check, one that fits in .22 and use it even in my .308, dowel droops a bit but if it clears the chrono no way a bullet will hit it. I usually have the provided bar on at the same time, this way I'm covered if using a tapered barrel that would cant the tip of the wand upward.

Only time I would get an error so far is when it was on and I was adjusting my bipod or rear bag, just have to make sure if bumping or jolting the gun around that the unit is ready to record your shot before you shoot. In no way saying this was the cause of any problems the user above had, just a tip for others as I did this a couple times before I realized it was my error and not the units.
    Last edited by MrSharp; 04-20-2017 at 05:09 PM.

If they can come up with a way to use these for hand guns without a rail would be sweet. I played around with mine some, using a plastic pipe to fit over the front 3/4's of the pistol. Got some numbers, but it was all over the place.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011