Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR-15 Barrels, Lightweight C8 Profile, Chrome lined

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dacron View Post
    Why are you guys so obsessed with barrels coming with FSBs.... you know you can add/remove them for $30.... right ?

Plus, they are a non-starter on every aftermarket barrel as most sit on optic rifles. Find your length and profile and go from there. Add a $30 FSB if it is THAT important.
    You don't just "add them on". They have to be jigged to be properly aligned with the eventual gas tube hole in the upper receiver (aligned with the nub on the top barrel extension)
    Then the barrel has to be bored out properly to receive the taper pins in alignment with the FSB. That's gun smith work. So in Canada that translates to 120 an hour and a 5 month minimum wait period. Also a decent FSB is far more than $30. A DPMS undrilled block is $55 CAD before tax and shipping. There is ONE place selling them advertised in Canada right now. Maybe $30 on the EE if you can find one.
    Ask me how I know all this! I have a 20" 1:9 pencil barrel at Tier One right now getting this very thing done. I had to buy a complete Norc DA556 Upper just to take the barrel off it.

The thing is it's way easier to drift the taper pins out and take off a properly made FSB than it is to add one. So if people want to build some movie prop john wick gun they can easily do it in their basement while drinking a soy latte from Starbucks.
    Us old fashioned dinosaurs who like to shoot irons and don't like critical components of our rifles held on with set screws and lock tite can't do proper builds which sucks
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deckard's Avatar
    Here, here. I'd buy a complete 20 inch FSB 1:9 barrel. I have the retro furniture to make it look half decent and shoot well enough.
    Listen, and understand. That Liberal is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse- only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

Im a flip up irons man myself.. never understood why anyone would want a huge chunk of metal on the barrel. Carry handles and quad rails, even more so. Ar rifles have come a long way to being modern and slick but I always see these long and bulky retro builds being asked for.. what is the allure of that? Especially CC rifles. Seems people want the old boat paddle style and not the mlok slick rifles that are out now.

You kids and your music.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Undergiver's Avatar
    Myself and a friend installed an FSB on the DA 14-5. Drilled and reamed the FSB. The FSB I got from Brownells for $14,99. We had a milling machine and it took about an hour to do. If I had to do a lot of them I would make a jig. Now I'm just waiting on the .625 handguard cap from Brownells.
    UCP member
    CPC member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by $kull View Post
    Im a flip up irons man myself.. never understood why anyone would want a huge chunk of metal on the barrel. Carry handles and quad rails, even more so. Ar rifles have come a long way to being modern and slick but I always see these long and bulky retro builds being asked for.. what is the allure of that? Especially CC rifles. Seems people want the old boat paddle style and not the mlok slick rifles that are out now.

You kids and your music.
    Shoot an M16A1 config AR and feel the balance, lightweight and accuracy. You may be surprised Sir.
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

I traded for one of these Norc barrels. Unfortunately it's FSB had been removed at some point in it's life. So now, like Travis, I need to find a FSB, try and line up the drill press with the pre-existing holes, buy a taper reamer and try not to botch it all up. Maybe if I'm successful I'll buy more off of CANAM and sell some. Afterall there is clearly a demand (small, but still in demand) that the dealers don't seem to want to fill.

It is so much easier to remove a FSB than it is to install one. Besides, you can make a really small lo pro by chopping the existing FSB in half. Why pay $50,60,70 for a gas block that isn't even pinned in place?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123