Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a used restricted

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris d View Post
    So it sounds like the easiest way is to just to join a club...
    The only way for you to get a restricted firearm for the purpose of target shooting is for you to be the member of an approved club. You do not require a Possession/Acquisition License (PAL) or Possession Only License (POL) when you first join AMA.

Apply now.

Download the AMA Application

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/AMA/
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

Thanks everyone for all the info. I'll probably just take a the easy way out and get the membership haha. As far as shooting I'm looking to just do it as inexpensive as possible and just for fun. Do you think a 22 pistol would be the way to go? The ammo seems to be quite a bit cheaper than 9mm. Any recommendations on pistols that won't break the bank? I'm not a fan of the ruger pistol. I love the look of the ruger sr22 and the sig p226 in 22 but they are a bit out of my price range. I was also looking at the gsg 1911 22 which is pretty nice. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Your Provincial Chief Firearms Office is the agency which will approve your purchase. Just pick up the phone and ask them. They will be able to explain what you need to do.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Just join a club.

FWIW here is the wording on a letter I got from the BC CFO when I purchased my first restricted:

Blah blah blah, quotes Section 28(a) of Firearms act regarding purpose (b) is either (i) for target practice etc at a shooting club or range approved under Section 29, or (ii) to form part of a gun collection.

To be deemed a Target Shooter I was required to Fax a copy of my range/shooting club membership.
    For the purpose of Gun Collection, a completed Collector application must be submitted to the CFO Office for approval.

Whatever a Collector application is......

When I faxed a copy of my Club doc the registration papers for the firearm arrived a few days later in the mail.

Also note - when you purchase your first Restricted (and provide Club details) you will get a new RPAL with the extension of .0002
    Your new Conditions paper will now include the Special Conditions for transport

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Milanczar's Avatar
    Cabin boy aboard the New England whaler Pequod
    FWIW here is the wording on a letter I got
    Thanks!! Paul_T

Must take some folks by surprise as well when they make a purchase the first time.
    The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run.
    - Moby Dick, Herman Melville

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris d View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the info. I'll probably just take a the easy way out and get the membership haha. As far as shooting I'm looking to just do it as inexpensive as possible and just for fun. Do you think a 22 pistol would be the way to go? The ammo seems to be quite a bit cheaper than 9mm. Any recommendations on pistols that won't break the bank? I'm not a fan of the ruger pistol. I love the look of the ruger sr22 and the sig p226 in 22 but they are a bit out of my price range. I was also looking at the gsg 1911 22 which is pretty nice. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.
    The GSG (they also make the Sig 1911 .22LR) retail for about $425, I recently picked one up on sale for $349 (the Sig branded version).
    A bit plastic y feeling, not traditional 1911 in the field strip sense. Price is good for what you get.

Chiappa makes a less expensive 22LR in 1911 frame as well. http://chiappafirearms.com/products/74 Just a bit more $ than the GSG/Sig

Depends how much you are going to shoot. 22 ammo is cheap to buy, 9mm would be next. Most 22 pistols I have seen at the lower price points are not up to the quality of the larger calibers (IMHO).
    Last edited by Paul_T; 11-29-2016 at 04:45 PM.

When I've called in the reference#, I've been asked if for target and I've said yes and given the club I belong to. But was never asked for proof. I'm in Bantario if that helps.
    I may not be as good as I once was...but I'm as good once as I ever was

Don't practise until you get it right...practise until you can't get it wrong

Hi, I went through this about 2 years ago for my RPAL. At that time you had to specify whether you were a target shooter or a collector as this would effect your eligibility for an ATT. Since then the "common sense" legislation makes transport to an authorised range an inherent right of the licence so it shouldn't be an issue. On another note though I'd recommend going ahead and joining a club. Many have club guns you can try out before you buy. Do you like semi-auto's, wheel guns, caliber, not to mention lots of advice and poster boards of guns for sale within the club.
    I'd definitely recommend starting with a .22. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to shoot and less recoil to deal with for a starter. I went with a Smith & Wesson M&P 22. Great little gun and lots of fun to shoot. Made for S&W in Germany by Walther.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Elkbooger; 12-03-2016 at 08:11 AM.

There's a virtual gun club in BC. It's a gun club without a range but satisfies the requirement. Sounds ridiculous ...and is...but saitisfies the requirement none the less. Its been a few years since I moved and joined an actual range , but I'm sure they are still going strong. it was 40$ a year?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12