Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: New Dominion Smokeless Powders

Tested a sample of D4198, that was gifted to me this weekend, in my AR (223 Wylde, 16" stainless barrel). Tested loads under a 55 grain Campro ranging from 17 grains to 21.5 grains in 0.5 grain increments. All the loads cycled the action without issues. There was minor flattening of the primers at 21.5 grains but no other pressure signs. I would feel comfortable going to higher loads, in smaller increments however.

At 100 yards, the POI rise from lowest to highest load was approximately 2".

POI of the 17 grain load was roughly the same as for my standard 55 grain bulk load with 25.1 grains of 4895. The recoil of 17 grain load felt like a 22LR. It will be interesting to see how this load performs in terms of accuracy and at longer ranges.

At 17 grains, the case was approximately 60% filled rising to about 80% of capacity at 21.5 grains. The D4198 also fed reasonably well through a Lee Perfect powder measure which I use for bulk loading of stick powders. Of 9 test drops one of them crunched some powder resulting in a drop of 24.6 grains. The other test drops were. 24.3, 24.2, 24.1, 24.1, 24.3, 24.3, 24.4 and 24.2.

I will be ordering some of the D4198 for IPSC rifle, CQB and training loads.
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr589 View Post
    Tested a sample of D4198, that was gifted to me this weekend, in my AR (223 Wylde, 16" stainless barrel). Tested loads under a 55 grain Campro ranging from 17 grains to 21.5 grains in 0.5 grain increments. All the loads cycled the action without issues. There was minor flattening of the primers at 21.5 grains but no other pressure signs. I would feel comfortable going to higher loads, in smaller increments however.

At 100 yards, the POI rise from lowest to highest load was approximately 2".

POI of the 17 grain load was roughly the same as for my standard 55 grain bulk load with 25.1 grains of 4895. The recoil of 17 grain load felt like a 22LR. It will be interesting to see how this load performs in terms of accuracy and at longer ranges.

At 17 grains, the case was approximately 60% filled rising to about 80% of capacity at 21.5 grains. The D4198 also fed reasonably well through a Lee Perfect powder measure which I use for bulk loading of stick powders. Of 9 test drops one of them crunched some powder resulting in a drop of 24.6 grains. The other test drops were. 24.3, 24.2, 24.1, 24.1, 24.3, 24.3, 24.4 and 24.2.

I will be ordering some of the D4198 for IPSC rifle, CQB and training loads.
    Cool. Thanks for the feedback. Thoughts on running this powder in a piston 223 gun like a Tavor or ACR?

Quote Originally Posted by Anpaul View Post
    Cool. Thanks for the feedback. Thoughts on running this powder in a piston 223 gun like a Tavor or ACR?
    I can't offer an informed opinion since I don't have any piston driven 223 rifles however I would guess that it would work just fine. The range of loads that work well may differ but given how well the powder ran in my gun, I'm fairly sure that you could find a load that worked for you.

That said, I haven't done any real load development but for my use I'm OK with 2-2.5 MOA which I think is achievable with the Campro bullets.
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr589 View Post
    I can't offer an informed opinion since I don't have any piston driven 223 rifles however I would guess that it would work just fine. The range of loads that work well may differ but given how well the powder ran in my gun, I'm fairly sure that you could find a load that worked for you.

That said, I haven't done any real load development but for my use I'm OK with 2-2.5 MOA which I think is achievable with the Campro bullets.
    What length gas system does your AR have?

Quote Originally Posted by Anpaul View Post
    What length gas system does your AR have?
    Medium.

GunNutz
    tagged for new shipment info

Quote Originally Posted by aubie97 View Post
    Looks like I'll be the first to ask for Dongshot
    X2 for Dongshot.

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcon View Post
    X2 for Dongshot.
    dongshot is only available in huge quantities. We are not quite ready for that much powder

Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    dongshot is only available in huge quantities. We are not quite ready for that much powder
    I'm sure it would sell. Ton of us shotgun and .40 guys that love this stuff. I know I would be in for a huge order.
    A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.

Shot placement is king; adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is just angels dancing on the heads of pins

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapsk8 View Post
    I'm sure it would sell. Ton of us shotgun and .40 guys that love this stuff. I know I would be in for a huge order.
    We do not have a market nor the magazine capacity for a full 40k lbs