Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Restricted Ownership Question

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFalseProphet View Post
    No, and whomever told you that was wrong.

That "authorization to transport" says nothing about exempting you from possessing a registration certificate, just like it says nothing about allowing you to transport it unlocked and loaded. "Newly acquired" is not defined anywhere, and assuming it means "so new that we haven't even printed a certificate for it yet" could land you in trouble.

Next step...now that you're home, you're storing the gun while you wait for the certificate. Even during storage, you are still required to be in possession of a registration certificate if somehow requested by police. Your ATT condition does not exempt you from that.
    How do you explain an online (and retail brick and mortar) shop shipping me a gun - I have no registration papers for a week or so. I am still in possession of it and am storing it.... I have received a number of restricted's from 3 vendors here. Shipped to my door - by your words above this is not possible/allowed....

Last I spoke with the BC CFO (two weeks ago) I was told I could bring a pistol home with me from my LGS once the transfer paperwork was completed (under the conditions specified on my Conditions Sheet). I then could not take it out of my house until the reg arrived.
    Last edited by Paul_T; 12-07-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Some relevant points to share here..
    I live in northern Alberta.
    I just purchased a restricted Monday.
    Just spoke with the Firearms Office this morning.

Seller initiated transfer Monday.
    Seller received email notification of transfer completion Tuesday and shipped it.

I the Buyer did not receive an email notification of the transfer completion.

Today I called the Canadian Firearms office to follow up.
    I was told that a Buyer Transfer Completion is not automatically emailed/sent to the Buyer, however your Registration Certificate will be automatically sent. You can ask to speak to a CFO who will take your request and email you a Buyer Transfer completion, but again this is not standard procedure.

Also it was confirmed that I do NOT require:
    - an email copy of the Transfer Completion (Buyer or Seller)
    - the Registration Certificate for the new purchase
    - any Authorization to Transport
    in order to lawfully pick it up at the post office and bring it home and store it.

I must however await the Registration Card prior to transport to/from the range.

To remove all doubt call 1-800-731-4000
    Make certain that you Enjoy life! You are never going to be younger than you are today.

Quote Originally Posted by NHunter View Post
    Some relevant points to share here..
    I live in northern Alberta.
    I just purchased a restricted Monday.
    Just spoke with the Firearms Office this morning.

Seller initiated transfer Monday.
    Received email Seller notification Tuesday and shipped it.

I the Buyer did not receive an email notification of the transfer completion.

Today I called the Canadian Firearms officer to follow up.
    I was told that an emailed Buyer Transfer Completion is not automatically sent to the Buyer, however your Registration Certificate will be automatically sent. You can ask to speak to a CFO who will take your request and email you a Buyer Transfer completion, but again this is not standard procedure.

Also it was confirmed that I do NOT require:
    - an email copy of the Transfer Completion (Buyer or Seller)
    - the Registration Certificate for the new purchase
    - any Authorization to Transport
    in order to lawfully pick it up at the post office and bring it home.

I must however await the Registration Card prior to transport to/from the range.

To remove all doubt call 1-800-731-4000
    The above has been my experience as well. When receiving an online purchase I did receive (in all cases) a copy of the transfer paperwork the Seller received from Miramichi.
    Three firearms were delivered to my door, one I picked up at the post office, a few others I bought at LGS and brought home once the transfer papers were in their hands.

In NONE of the cases did I need a STATT nor any other further permission to transport. Once home - you MUST wait for the Reg to move them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    When receiving an online purchase I did receive (in all cases) a copy of the transfer paperwork the Seller received from Miramichi.
    I forgot that detail. Yes the Seller did copy me on his Transfer Completion.
    Make certain that you Enjoy life! You are never going to be younger than you are today.

if you are picking it up from the seller, you need the transfer notification to take it home, then the wait for the actual regi to arrive in the mail before you can take it to the range, and ya, my previous post was sarcasm, although most of mine are printed on a yellowish kinda looking paper, i take copies of them with me to the range and leave the originals in my safe

when in doubt though

call the 1-800 number, talk to them, and remove all doubt, don`t ever take advice from an internet message board

Quote Originally Posted by ian745 View Post
    if you are picking it up from the seller, you need the transfer notification to take it home, then the wait for the actual regi to arrive in the mail before you can take it to the range, and ya, my previous post was sarcasm, although most of mine are printed on a yellowish kinda looking paper, i take copies of them with me to the range and leave the originals in my safe

when in doubt though

call the 1-800 number, talk to them, and remove all doubt, don`t ever take advice from an internet message board
    As per your post and NHunters - this is the way to go. They are always helpful at the end of that line.

No need to panic.
    No one's going to jail because they possess a firearm while waiting for its physical reg. cert. to arrive in the mail.
    Bernie Rhodes knows. Don't Argue

Just because we're not going to jail doesn't mean we're obeying the law. And good luck with advice from the CFO. There are many posts on here about people getting crazy wrong information. The local police arresting you and the crown charging you won't care what the 1-800 number said.

The store I bought my CZ from let me take it the day the transfer went through. I brought it home. Just because I did that and they let me doesn't mean it was legal.

All this "store to home" is exempt crap is speculation. But you're right, we're not going to jail. I also took my pistol to the range with no cert and didn't go to jail. Just because the store and the range let me do it doesn't make it legal.

Don't "listen to me" look up the law yourself. The ATT conditions and transfer notification are not law, and they also don't say you can transport without a cert. You're just making this up

Good thing I read this thread as I was going to take my new restricted SBR to the range tonight (it arrived yesterday, my first restricted purchase). I thought the paperwork included in the box from the retail outlet constituted the registration document???

Quote Originally Posted by FannyBayR1 View Post
    I thought the paperwork included in the box from the retail outlet constituted the registration document???
    No, it does not. You have to wait, unfortunately.

TheFalseProphet - the store to home 'crap' as you put it, was confirmed as OK to me by the BC CFO on the telephone, therefore I shall not argue with you about it.

As has been suggested - if you have any questions, call the CFO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast