Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What makes a KAC different?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Farmboy's Avatar

Question What makes a KAC different?

There are always a number of threads that ask what makes one AR $1200 and another $3000+ and you always get one or two guys saying "The name, that's it", but usually there is more to it than that.

What makes a Knight's Armament command the price it does? Here are just a few of the features that go into them.

I hope this helps explain the Knight's Armament a little more.

E3 Enhanced Bolt
    The E3 Enhanced Bolt from Knight’s Armament features a number of components designed to make this bolt the most durable and reliable bolt available. It is a proprietary bolt specifically designed for our SR15 and 16 models. The E3 Bolt boasts several features that add to the its overall performance such as the enlarged bolt face, rounded lugs, reduced cam pin, and proprietary extractor and firing pin designs.

This E3 Bolt is manufactured with an enlarged bolt face that provides more positive engagement in the chamber and lugs which are rounded to help to reduce chipping, cracking and snapping. This strengthened design helps to increase the life of the bolt and ensure a proper seating each time the weapon cycles.

The E3 Bolt’s extractor design is also a unique achievement that helps to provide an extremely reliable component. It’s shaped like a rounded ‘T’ and sometimes referred to as a ‘butterfly’ shape. The pivot point of the extractor is shifted forward to help balance out the extractor and apply constant pressure on the shell which reduces cases of extraction failures. Another strong feature of the unique design of this extractor is the use of two full size extractor springs, as opposed to the standard micro spring. This allows for a reduction of relative compression while the extractor is in motion and provides a failsafe in case one spring fails. The bolt will continue to function properly and afford a user the opportunity to continue with their mission or firing schedule.

The E3 Bolt is designed with a thinner Cam Pin and Firing Pin whose overall size has been reduced. The thinner Cam Pin allows for a thicker bolt web which is a common failure point in normal bolts. The reduction of the Firing Pin size is to accommodate the thinner Cam Pin.

The full capabilities of the E3 Bolt are realized when exposed to full auto or extremely high cyclic firing rates yet the bolt performs gracefully under casual firing conditions. This component was designed to be exposed to the most stressful and unrelenting conditions and exceed expectations for durability and service life.

Ambidextrous Controls
    Knight’s Armament designed this system to give shooters the maximum amount of options in their controls. Under this design all of the weapon’s major controls can be accessed from either side of the lower receiver. Left-handed shooters see the immediate benefits of being able to access the weapon’s controls in a more intuitive manner; however, there are a number of other benefits that right-handed shooters will enjoy under this system.

Competition shooters benefit from these controls from the increase of speed that is achieved through components such as the right-side bolt catch. Trainers enjoy the variety of options because they can watch their trainee from either side of the weapon and even manipulate the weapon’s controls from the non-operating side. KAC has also introduced modifications to the design such as the scalloped safety selector switch. This allows a lower profile for the selector switch on the non-operating side of the receiver which helps to relieve any interference between the switch and a shooter’s glove or hand. For the maximum amount of configuration and operation options, Knight’s Ambidextrous Controls offer a sure solution.

Two-Stage Match Trigger
    All of the weapons available from Knight’s Armament come equipped with a 4.5lb, 2-Stage Match Trigger. This type of trigger mechanism uses a system where, during the rearward squeeze of a trigger, it cycles through two stages of resistance

The first stage is a ‘no-poundage’ stage where hardly any resistance is felt during the rear-ward squeeze. There is a center point at which point resistance is felt and the second stage of the trigger begins. At this point, 4.5 pounds of force is required to squeeze the trigger through the second stage and cause the weapon to cycle.

Our 2-stage trigger is meant to inform a shooter of exactly where their weapon is going to fire. This bolsters a firer’s confidence and can also assist in reducing trigger jerk, thereby increasing accuracy. The 4.5lb 2-Stage Trigger from Knight’s Armament is a highly calibrated and smooth component that is sure to be a welcome addition to any setup.

Hammer Forging
    Knight’s Armament employs a hammer-forging process on a number of our barrels and chambers, which serves to increase the quality of their interior finish, as well as increasing the durability and life of the barrel. These barrels are then Chrome-lined to further the lifespan of the barrel and increase its resistance to fouling and corrosion.

The first step is to take a drilled barrel and hone the interior to a fine, clean finish. The barrel is then placed onto a mandrel with the rifling pattern ground in relief across it. This setup is then placed between opposing power hammers which literally hammer the barrel onto the pattern found on the mandrel. The barrel setup is rotated and the hammers continue to forge the barrel into its final shape. Once they complete this process, the barrels are heat treated in order to relieve the inherent stress created during this process.

The Chroming process is applied after the Hammer Forging. At this point the interior of the barrel is basically lined with a layer of chrome and bonded to the forged steel. Chrome is approximately twice as hard as standard 4150 steel and also resists the lead and powder that bare steel will normally absorb into its pores. This allows the barrel to be exposed to the higher temperatures and pressures of high firing schedules while still maintaining accuracy, durability and reliability. The end result is a denser, stronger barrel that will endure a higher round life than a Standard Stainless Steel or Chrome Moly barrel.

Here are a few more features that are standard.

Please note, my opinion could be biased based on past and present employment

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThorHavenFarm

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Fine piece of kit...

Yeah i really dig the new lowers. I like where the qd is. KAC rocks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Epoxy7's Avatar
    I don't see what all the fuss is about... I only have two criticisms. 1) Stoner written on my rifles. Oh well. Yes I know it's Eugene Stoner, but still for those that don't know... 2) Cost of entry. Especially the SR25. That being said when you add it all up for an almost ready to go right out of the box product with high end stuff, it's not as bad as initially thought. I managed to justify it. Barely but I was able to.

Is KAC going to continue with both Keymod and Mlok for the URX4 rails? I know the MLok is the current favourite by manufacturers but I have to say, I think I prefer the Keymod. Plus Tango Down makes a vertical shorty for the keymod system. Your options right now for MLok are BCM (hate the look) and Magpul (like the look but quality isn't there with the Tango down).

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner99 View Post
    Yeah i really dig the new lowers. I like where the qd is. KAC rocks.
    Same here. I wasn't into it when they had the QD in the actual lower but this newer system they have is very good.

Also while the 3.1 URX is sort of iconic for KAC, I really like the URX4 with the SR15 for a cqb style carbine. It's not as distinctly KAC without the rail guards but it works well and looks pretty sharp. It's grown on me. I wasn't sure at first. I think the 3.1 looks really good on the SR25 though.

CGN frequent flyer
    Are KAC 2 stage triggers different than other 2 stage triggers (this is an honest question).

All of my rifles have 2 stage triggers and operate differently than described - the first stage is one pound and then they hit the second stage and it takes another 1.5 pounds to break (numbers are approximate).

Not going to lie to anyone who reads this. I have an AR-15 KAC lower receiver and the build quality is amazing. The 2 things not amazing about it is the trigger (very spongey then the break at the end) and the battery assist on the right side of receiver is a little bit stiff. Not sure how the new LMT MARS lowers are but we will see. Hoping that KAC will make a crisp candy cane like break on future triggers (LMT style or even Geissele grade).

I have also stressed over and over that the new E3 bolt is amazing (even though I have never tried it), the terrible thing about it is in the event something happens to the bolt, it is very expensive and a bit difficult to find spare parts.

Do I recommend KAC equipment? Yes because our dollar isn't doing very well and you should buy more US made products before our dollar tanks any further as of today of this post.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left." - Bertrand Russell

KAC is smart ( and probably have proper user input) to put a QD socket on their M-lok and K-mod rail where it is. A few manufacturers do not realize that 9" of rail space with switches and stuff will put the support hand over the QD stud using the default last m-lok slot if they do not provide an additional QD socket as close to the receiver as possible. If you make a 10 to 11" SBR, you need that QD socket as close to the receiver as possible. This is a make or break thing, if you are running 2 point slings like the BFG.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    KAC is smart ( and probably have proper user input) to put a QD socket on their M-lok and K-mod rail where it is. A few manufacturers do not realize that 9" of rail space with switches and stuff will put the support hand over the QD stud using the default last m-lok slot if they do not provide an additional QD socket as close to the receiver as possible. If you make a 10 to 11" SBR, you need that QD socket as close to the receiver as possible. This is a make or break thing, if you are running 2 point slings like the BFG.
    Indeed.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kevin M.'s Avatar
    Beautiful machining. They are on my wish list for whenever I need to scratch my AR itch again.
    You know you are a real gunnut when you start practicing trigger control on power tools.

WWJMBD? What Would John Moses Browning Do?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Farmboy's Avatar
    the terrible thing about it is in the event something happens to the bolt, it is very expensive and a bit difficult to find spare parts.
    We always have a bolt or two in stock and a few small parts. We can get repair parts really fast from KAC so try not to stock a lot.
    Please note, my opinion could be biased based on past and present employment

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThorHavenFarm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast