Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Baofeng UV-5R programming cable

Someone needs to compile a thread/sticky on the setup of these radios. A little assistance for the novice, and or less than tech savvy users, myself included. Mine are currently on the way
    Sometimes it is taken, sometimes it is not. But there is no bargain, for here, what is,
    is what must be

CCFR Lifetime Member, CSSA Lifetime Member
    NFA Lifetime Member, NRA Lifetime Endowment Member

I've used my UV5R+ and BF-888S radios for almost three years now and the uv5's were used in the oilfields and in the Arctic and they are tough. Now that being said using CHIRP software is easy. Here's some info for those using eBay dongles.

Firstly you need to get the driver download for your Ribless cable and install those drivers before plugging that cable in. BUT MAKE SURE YOUR PROLIFIC DRIVERS ARE NOT THE NEWEST BUT ARE VERSION 3.2.0.0 http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php (If you recently upgraded to Win10, Windows will automatically update your Prolific driver. You will need to reload Prolific 3.2.0.0 back to your PC.#)

Once you've done that plug the cable into a USB port and let the drivers install until you're told it was successful BUT REMEMBER...... THE CABLE WILL ONLY WORK ON THIS USB PORT FROM HERE ON IN! Here's the sequence I use once all this has been established...

1) plug in programming cable in to dedicated computer usb port
    2) plug in cable to TURNED OFF RADIO
    3) open CHIRP
    4) turn on radio to full volume
    5) read radio

If at any point problems are incurred CHIRP must be closed and radio turned off and all cables disconnected and process started over.

Also noted that if cloning radios CHIRP must be closed between each radio cloning and radio firmwares must match in order to clone, if they don't match you can save the info to a .csv file and clone from there....
    Last edited by gmctech; 01-08-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” .......... - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter1970 View Post
    Someone needs to compile a thread/sticky on the setup of these radios. A little assistance for the novice, and or less than tech savvy users, myself included. Mine are currently on the way
    This is what I was thinking.

My computer doesn't have a dvd reader.
    can someone put into a dropbox for me.
    thanks!
    Disclosure: I work for Veritac Global

Quote Originally Posted by nza View Post
    My computer doesn't have a dvd reader.
    can someone put into a dropbox for me.
    thanks!
    CHIRP download

PROLIFIC programming cable driver 3.2.0.0 download
    Last edited by gmctech; 01-10-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” .......... - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by perception007 View Post
    This is what I was thinking.
    The problem is that the UV5R radio is a seriously capable little unit and has many many options as it is a true amateur radio and a step by step would be pages long and hundreds of steps to use it to its fullest potential.... Unless you are a Ham or are tech savy, I'd say this isn't the radio for you if you just plan on simplex two way communications. I've been around radios since I was knee high to a grasshopper and even I find the keypad programming interface a PITA so I usually just use CHIRP unless I'm on the move and need to change settings on the fly. ... here's a link to just one of a plethora of videos on YouTube for UV5R programming. UV5R Programming Walk-through

If I may make a suggestion for those people wanting a tough handheld unit but don't plan on using a lot of what the front keypad has to offer, I'd suggest maybe going with the Baofeng BF-888S. In CHIRP you can program virtually everything the UV5R can do, but all you'll have to deal with on the actual radio is an on/off/volume knob and a channel selector knob.....
    Last edited by gmctech; 01-10-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: typos

CGN Ultra frequent flyer #1bcshooter's Avatar
    Anyone use the MKTECH 3800 mAh batteries ?
    Are they as good as the Baofeng 3800 mAh ?
    Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345