Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Baofeng UV-5R programming cable

Baofeng UV-5R programming cable

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to program my radios using Chirp but when I try to do the "cloning" from the radio I always get an error message that the radio did not respond. I am following the instructions exactly. I tried both radios that I have and they both do the same.

This leads me to believe that the cable I have is defective. I bought it off amazon.ca (it is a Baofeng cable) as CanadaAmmo didn't have any anymore at the time I bought the radios.

Has anyone else had a bad cable from new? The USB end seems a little "wobbly" to me. (I have made sure the jack end is pushed all the way into the radio too)

Anyone in the Fraser Valley have a cable I might be able to borrow so I can trouble shoot?

Thanks, Paul
    Holder of “unacceptable” views

CGN Ultra frequent flyer geologist's Avatar
    With my UV82 the volume has to be on max and then chirp works fine.
    "Conservation is the mark of a dying civilization. When your technology is not increasing at the same rate as your population growth you are done. Bring on the next contender.".

Yup. Tried having the volume at max. Did you have to install a "driver" for the programming cable?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SigWig's Avatar
    ^yes you do. google/youtube is your friend

for better help what operations system (windows/mac) are you running?

Mac. "Sierra"

I have been google searching. Looks like I might need a driver from Prolific. Just going to install that now.

Some times you have to back date your USB driver in windows. If the cable is a cheap Chinese one you will have to do that.

Check this web site out for the install problems.
    http://www.amateurradio.com/solving-...cable-problem/

I hope this helps.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trinimon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hovenator View Post
    Mac. "Sierra"

I have been google searching. Looks like I might need a driver from Prolific. Just going to install that now.
    It sure doesn't like El Capitan either. I had to use my old Win7 laptop to run Chirp.
    CSSA Member

Did your cable come with a mini CD? After trying every fix under the sun for the cable drivers I got off the internet with no success, someone pointed out that it came with a driver on the disc.

It's in the USB > CH340 folder

Most of the cables on Ebay and Amazon are junk. They have knock off Prolific chipsets. The prolific drivers will not work. If you order this chipset and wire the cable in it will work. CP2102 USB 2.0 to UART TTL 5PIN Module Serial Converter. Just search on Ebay only a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by bjs7293 View Post
    Most of the cables on Ebay and Amazon are junk. They have knock off Prolific chipsets. The prolific drivers will not work. If you order this chipset and wire the cable in it will work. CP2102 USB 2.0 to UART TTL 5PIN Module Serial Converter. Just search on Ebay only a few bucks.
    So basically take your non-working one, chop off the USB end and wire the CP2102 to it. I approve.

For the lazy, I am told you just buy an Amcrest cable : https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...A3FNL1I5ZIZEYG

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast