Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is .223 steel case ammo reliable?

Is .223 steel case ammo reliable?

Looking to make a bulk purchase of at least 500-1000 rounds of .223. Looking at the brass cased stuff I haven't seen anything under 50 cents per round, but most steel cased is at least 10 cents cheaper. I had some reliability issues shooting steel 9mm before so I'm wondering how reliable it will be in an AR?

Specifically MFS/Tula/Barnaul

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    Thousands through a T97 without issue. All Tula

Dunno how it correlates to an AR yet.

I think it depends on the AR. There can be fairly large differences in what one might think are standard chamberings (223/5.56/Wylde). The only way to tell is to try it in your rifle. If it doesn't work out I can't see you having a problem selling the ammo.
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    An AR using brass smmo will run longer between cleanings than using steel cases, is my experience. Since most people will clean after 200-300 rounds anyway, it's not much of an issue.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    almost all my tavor shooting was done with barnaul. never an issue

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FoxAlpha's Avatar
    Other than my gas gun that I specifically run match grade ammo, I expect all of my rifles to run reliably with the cheapest, crappiest ammo available. As such, I've never had an issue running cheap norinco or MFS steel case. Never tried Barnaul or Tula but wouldn't mind giving it a go one day.
    I survived the gun control scare of 2013 and all I got was this t-shirt.......
    And 30 PMags, 5000 rounds of .223, 3000 rounds of 9mm, 5 BCG's, 5 stripped lowers, and a really pissed off wife.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sgt.rock's Avatar
    Tulammo runs good in my A.R but is too hot for my .223 rifle. I have to SMACK the bolt open in my Weatherby Vanguard. Two rounds were enough for my bolt gun history. I am gonna try some less stiff loaded ammo before I buy more Tulammo. (55gr steel cased boxer primed black box)
    2.8" five shot group with my Mossberg MMR and 3-9x40 Redfield Revenge on top. I get 1.6" groups using winchester white box 55gr FMJ cheap crap
    My Grandfather always said " Kid...............if you meet more than one arsehole in a day, chances are you are the arsehole. "

I use mfs in my Norc/colt Iur mutt ar and it runs 100%, never as much as a single failure in roughly 1000 rounds
    "Victory favours the prepared"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SteelCap's Avatar
    Barnaul and all is good.

I used Tula on my S&W had problems went to brass case

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast