Thread: Allow target practise with .22 on my own land in the bush?(Quebec)

Question Allow target practise with .22 on my own land in the bush?(Quebec)

Hello all...

I was recently having a discussion with my cousin about target practise. He said that one cannot discharge a firearm unless it is for hunting, regardless of whether its your own land or someone else's or crown land. I do not remember this regulation when i took my firearms safety course some years ago. Mind you I always have a small game permit on me as in Quebec a person can hunt Marmotte and rock dove all year long.

I recently bought 4 acres of land up north in Quebec. I want to setup a small target practise range for my son and I.

Can someone clear up what the rules/regulations sif any or if this is allowed to me? Or point me to any documentation?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!
    Rob....
    Montreal, Canada

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lyman54's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobMorin View Post
    Hello all...

I was recently having a discussion with my cousin about target practise. He said that one cannot discharge a firearm unless it is for hunting, regardless of whether its your own land or someone else's or crown land. I do not remember this regulation when i took my firearms safety course some years ago. Mind you I always have a small game permit on me as in Quebec a person can hunt Marmotte and rock dove all year long.

I recently bought 4 acres of land up north in Quebec. I want to setup a small target practise range for my son and I.

Can someone clear up what the rules/regulations sif any or if this is allowed to me? Or point me to any documentation?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!
    Depends on the municipal bylaws. Also how close to other houses. Where I live hunting is allowed which is why a small game license is good to have, re marmots. .22 is fairly quiet anyways. If you ask they will surely say not for plinking. I've been shooting at a massive sand pit for the last 20 years and never had a problem with any caliber.
    If guns cause crime, mine must be defective

Only non-restricted guns can be used on private land (i.e., rifles) unless you have a licensed range (approved by the CFO).
    They need to be a certain distance from buildings, roads etc., read the relevant legal sections of the firearms act.
    As said, municipal bylaws may prevent any firearms at all.
    CSSA/CCFR MemberAn unjust law, is no law at all.Martin Luther (1483-1546)
    There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel