Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATT Newbie Question

CGN Regular
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/n...015-09-eng.htm
    Look at Q16

This is how I would interpret but I have no experience with restricted.
    In Ontario only, a person with a RPAL can purchase a restricted firearm. A long term ATT would be automatically requested. Once approved, the person can take that firearm from store to home. The ATT would also allow the person to take the restricted firearm to the range, store, gunsmith, gun show. The person does not need to be a club member (i.e. He/she can go to Silverdale few times a year by paying $20 each time...or go with a friend as a visitor if this friend is a member of a club.)

Can someone with actual experience confirm?

FYI. Civil Advantage has a lot of great videos on this (and other similar subjects)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxJe6_xnaoI

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraGuy View Post
    FYI. Civil Advantage has a lot of great videos on this (and other similar subjects)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxJe6_xnaoI
    That video was published in Jan 2014. Since Sept 2015, a new act has come into effect. See link in post #11. So, I am not sure if this new act supersedes the video about long term ATT when buying your 1st restricted firearm.

My bad....sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by BDSL View Post
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/n...015-09-eng.htm
    Look at Q16

This is how I would interpret but I have no experience with restricted.
    In Ontario only, a person with a RPAL can purchase a restricted firearm. A long term ATT would be automatically requested. Once approved, the person can take that firearm from store to home. The ATT would also allow the person to take the restricted firearm to the range, store, gunsmith, gun show. The person does not need to be a club member (i.e. He/she can go to Silverdale few times a year by paying $20 each time...or go with a friend as a visitor if this friend is a member of a club.)

Can someone with actual experience confirm?
    In chronological order:

- I got my first RPAL and I had no ATT and it had no license conditions authorizing transport
    - I bought an AR lower online
    - Five-oh sent me a new license card with an incremented .0002 number, and it included six conditions which allow me to transport to/from ranges, to/from gun shows, to/from gun smiths, to/from borders, from gun stores to home, to/from a peace officer
    - I completed a course at Silverdale to allow me to bring handguns there as a guest
    - I bought a pistol, and shot it at Silverdale several times
    - I became a member at Silverdale

In Ontario, at the time I am writing this, you don't require a range membership to get the transportation conditions. The rules are different in other provinces. The rules are subject to change at any time.

As for bringing restricted firearms to a pay-as-you-go range, you are authorized to transport it there as far as the government is concerned, but each range can have their own rules on whether or not they let you through the door with restricteds. Silverdale, for example, requires you to complete their handgun safety course and probation shoots before you can bring handguns there - and that's whether you go on a day pass, or if you're a member. The course was $80, was a few hours long, and covered mostly the same stuff as CRFSC. Then you have to do four probation shoots on four separate days before you get the invitation to bring your handguns there. The probation shoots are easy...you supply 9mm ammo, they supply a 9mm pistol, and you're given instructions on what to do (and what to stop doing) and they watch to see that you do everything safely. As long as you're shooting in the target area (i.e. not the ground or into the berm over the targets) you're good to go.
    Last edited by TheFalseProphet; 01-05-2017 at 01:43 PM. Reason: adding info to timeline for clarity

CGN Regular
    Thanks TheFalseProphet for your actual experience. Greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12