Thread: Ruger RPR .308 alongside AI Ax .308 - Side by Side shoot off! FALL 2016

Business Member

Ruger RPR .308 alongside AI Ax .308 - Side by Side shoot off! FALL 2016

Don't buy ONE.....

Buy TWO of them.... You knew I could not resist!

Yeah, I figured I got yer attention now. I've finally had time to print this RPR after my 18 days across the country having taught 4 CQB (2 days each) clinics and 8000 kms behind my back. Speaking of back, I'm a fanboy of Robaxacet... I'm in spasms for not rolling out my back and doing my daily yoga. Don't get old!

Okay, in this experiment; I recruited Buzzballer who lived nearby to shoot HIS handloads (Remmy 700 SPS Tac 20" , 155 gr Amax, 46.0 gr Varget) through my 2 .308 PR rigs. One of them is my sponsored AI Ax in .308... Shout out to Wolverine Supplies who asked me to put this rig through it's paces at my PR matches in Garrison Petawawa. The other is my newly purchased RPR in .308 and it's the enhanced version. The retail price was $1749.00 in that neighbourhood.

We are at my home club in Grey County, ON. And we are shooting at 100m. Nothing too far. Nice and simple.

I deliberately choose to have Buzzballer use his handloads so that I can have an impartial bunch of handloads going through these rifles. No bias here with ammo selection. Also it's better to have him do the shooting since he loves the trigger time with each of the platforms....

The groups:

Have a look at the groups placed at the leg of each bipod/platform. The AI group had 13 shots through that ragged hole.

The RPR group has 5 shots through the ragged hole and Buzzballer confessed that he pulled them 2 shots as seen in the picture above and below.....

There, I think you can have a better look at the RPR group. 5 shots in and 2 shots pulled. Not bad for his handloads!

Here is the group for the AI Ax in .308 with Buzzballer's handloads:

And a closer look at the RPR .308 Enhanced (Gen 2??) group.... 5 shots in the hole and 2 shots pulled.....

Another picture of the 2 rifle platforms and their groups. I'll let you decide which platform can / will / should work for you and your : budget/ cool factor / competition/ game / ammo caliber / outfit color matching, etc, etc

Another picture of the AI Ax and it's S&B PM II with Spuhr mount and 34mm rings.... and the RPR with my Mark 4 6.5 x 20 x 50mm LR / T TMR reticle

A closer look at my AI Ax and it's proprietary brake..... Shoutout to Grumpy Wolverine who helped make this happen....

Left side view of both rifles .....

Left side view of the RPR Enhanced or Gen 2 in .308

So what's all this saying ??

The RPR can shoot really well when you have Buzzballer doing the shooting and not ME!

There is so much more potential in BOTH platforms (Wolverine Supplies sells both of them.... ) once we dial in the handloads to their barrel nodes!

For $1749 and taxes and shipping, you too, can have a great shooting rifle right outta the box. I better go and swab them bores soon!

There... should you buy one RPR ? Nope... go and buy TWO of them in various calibers. I just had to say that! I've been enjoying the RPR since driving across the country with it inside my Tacoma and now I can start playing with it's potential.

I'll bring both platforms up to my PR4 Match in Garrison Petawawa on 01-02 October 2016, next week. Bring along some .308 match ammo to put through both rigs!

Cheers......

Barney

aka Hungry or TacticalTeacher
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 03-22-2017 at 11:50 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer freezer filler's Avatar
    Maybe Grumpy should have a buy one get one free sale...I'm sure it would be popular and lots of folks would buy two!

Thanks for the review. That custom brake looks great.
    “Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.”
    ― Socrates

What distance were the groups shot at? I'm either blind or that wasn't brought mentioned.

A shame they don't make a left handed model like the Ruger American series.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grove View Post
    What distance were the groups shot at? I'm either blind or that wasn't brought mentioned.

A shame they don't make a left handed model like the Ruger American series.
    Aha... a great observation.... 100 meters. Nothing fancy!