Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Load datas for your bullets

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

Load datas for your bullets

You guys should definitely think about publishing some suggested load datas for your bullets. The comment "Recommend using standard cast bullet loading data" is next to useless. For example, hogdon's has almost nothing for your 125gr 9mm. The closest thing to a cast bullet would be (I guess) a LRN bullet, but hogdon's only publishes data for a LRN using winchester WSF. Nothing with the most common powders like titegroup or hs6.

Give us loads for hs6, titegroup, cfe pistol, longshot and universal. Those are common powders for all kind of pistols rounds from 9mm to 44magnum, so anyone who doesn't want to stock different kind of powders for all their pistols can stock just one of these.

The more powders can be used with your bullets, the more it gets interesting for reloaders to buy them.

And if anyone wants to chime in on the loads and OAL they use for XMetal's bullets, feel free to chime in right here in this thread.

Why not just use the common loads for 124 grain bullets, start 10% low and work up?

A 1 grain difference in bullet weight is well within the normal range of variation I see within a given batch of pistol bullets and I see no reason to weight-sort my pistol bullets for any sort of shooting that I do.
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr589 View Post
    Why not just use the common loads for 124 grain bullets, start 10% low and work up?

A 1 grain difference in bullet weight is well within the normal range of variation I see within a given batch of pistol bullets and I see no reason to weight-sort my pistol bullets for any sort of shooting that I do.
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

That's what I said. There isn't anything resembling a LRN in the 124grn, 125grn or 130grn, other than with WSF. Anything with the aforementionned powders (HS6, CFE Pistol, longshot, titegroup, universal) is either for LCN (Lead Cone Nose) or some kind of FMJ or hollow point. Maybe I should check with Unique or some VinhuatotototototoSomething (can't remember how that's spelled...).

At first I was just like "Ok, so how much HS6 do I use", and then I'm just standing there scratching my head wondering where to even start. Some bullets you load with 4.5grn to 5.1grn, and some others with 6.4 to 6.8grn. If you start 10% lower than 6.4grn, it's 5.8grn, which is much, much higher than the maximum for another bullet. You know how a guy feels like when his GF ask "Buy me some tampons" or how a girl feels like when we ask them "Buy some motor oil"?

Guessing where to start is NOT fun. It's not like I can make a load, walk 10 paces to my backyard and try it. For pistols you have to go to the range every time, so you load up 4-5 loads, 20-50 ammos each, then try them, hoping something in there will be fine so you can work around it. If you've started too low, 2 bad things happens:
    1-Bullet doesn't leave the barrel. That's inconvenient at best, dangerous at worst;
    2-Nothing is hot enough to work reliably. You have to get back home, work on hotter loads then you can try them next session.
    If you've started 2 hot, you mostly need a new pair of underwear, but it can be dangerous too.

I don't mind working on my loads, but if I have to waste 200-300 bullets (and like 3-4 trips to the shooting range) to figure it out for any kind of powder, I'll just get back to campro. On the other hand, if the red polymer applied on the bullets pretty much acts like a copper FMJ, then I'll happily buy xmetal bullets by the truckload. But given their recommandation to use "cast bullet load datas", I don't think using FMJ datas is the right thing to do.

CGN Regular
    Look at the data for LCN bullets. Difference between LCN and LRN will be minimal. More seating depth vs charge weight.

I just purchased some of your 230gr 45acp RN bullets to try out. Got my bench warmed up, started looking for data and wam... only thing I could find as mentioned above is "Recommend using standard cast bullet loading data" and this thread.

I loaded 4.6gr of vihtavuori N320... Just loaded 10 to give it a try first.

CGN Regular
    For cast load data, the lyman load book is by far the best for cast loads. Castpics website has huge amount of loads data online

Get a Lee load data book best hands down for cast load data. If you don't belive me just ask me.
    GUNS spelled backwards is SNUG coincidence--- not,, cause I feel safe and snug when I am with my guns![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I will be nicer when you get smarter.....
    we can fix broken but stupid is forever.

Quote Originally Posted by 577/450 View Post
    Get a Lee load data book best hands down for cast load data. If you don't belive me just ask me.
    If by data book you mean modern reloading, I only see load data for 30-30, 308, etc. for Cast bullets. Zero on pistol rounds. I miss something ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTapin View Post
    If by data book you mean modern reloading, I only see load data for 30-30, 308, etc. for Cast bullets. Zero on pistol rounds. I miss something ?

Thanks
    No, I'm pretty sure he means the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition. It's for cast bullets in all kinds of cartridges, including pistol.

Sweet thanks I'll look into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast