Thread: Muzzle Loader

Muzzle Loader

Hey everyone ,

So I'm new to muzzle loading and I've been to the range to zero my rifle and I've bagged my first deer with it last year using a Muzzle Loader !! ( Super Stoked cause I've been on numerous hunting trips in the past and got a big goose egg. Sometimes change is good and it payed off)

So my question is ..

Has anyone ever seen calcium build up near the breach plug after its been cleaned and lubed ? Am I putting too much cleaning solution ? Am I not putting enough ? I've cleaned the rifle 2x since I've shot with it and its starting to wear into the metal near the firing pin ? ( What I'm thinking is calcium ) I've tried to find more info online and the Calcium deposits in the human body and on teeth is not the answer I'm looking for. Ive added more desiccant pads to remove humidity in my safe im not sure what else i can do ?

Any help would be great !!

Thanks

Might get better assistance by posting in the Blackpowder and Antiques forum.

I don’t think what you’re finding is calcium deposits, regardless, your cleaning technique needs a bit more. I wouldn’t think there could be such a thing as too much solvent beyond the mess. If anything too little or, more likely, not being fully removed. I shoot traditional with real black powder but imagine that cleaning inlines could be similar.

I use warm soapy water (followed by a cold clear water rinse) for the bore. Lots of folks don’t use warm or soapy water, just my preference. After cleaning the bore I dry patch then use WD-40 to displace any remaining water, more dry patches then oil with CLP. Before heading out next time I run a patch saturated with rubbing alcohol in the bore followed by a dry patch. I store mine muzzle down so excess oil runs out and don’t bother with desiccants.

Might be a reaction between your particular choices of solvent and powder residue? Have you tried different solvent or propellant? I think that most importantly you need to find a way to better clean it all out as part of your process. Maybe alcohol swabs to better remove the remaining solvent before storing.