Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I store a restricted somewhere other than my residence?

Can I store a restricted somewhere other than my residence?

Can I store a restricted somewhere other than my residence?

My spouse was fine with me getting my RPAL for sport shooting but she doesn't want me storing firearms in our residence, even though they would be in a safe.
    Once the kids are off to college she will reconsider.

Would the CFO possibly approve storage at a different location. I own my own business and would like to put a safe at work.
    I also have friends with RPAL and even friends who are police who might let me put a locked pistol case in their safe.

Any of this realistic?

Thanks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bigbubba's Avatar
    No, not realistic. Possible: yes, probable: no.

Store them at home, have a talk with your wife.
    Properly stored she shouldn't have an issue.
    If she does have an issue, she needs to tell you what so you can address it

Yes it's called an alternate storage location. I had one for my guns when my house was under renovations following a break in.
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

CGN Ultra frequent flyer weasel1's Avatar
    That's like your wife telling you that you can drink all you want, but don't swallow. My recommendation? Store your wife at an alternate location.
    "We're only immortal, for a limited time." -Rush

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    That's like your wife telling you that you can drink all you want, but don't swallow. My recommendation? Store your wife at an alternate location.
    HAHAHAHAH OMG...I just spat out water all over my keyboard and monitor...THANKS!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bigbubba's Avatar
    I can just imagine the conversation with the CFO regarding an alternate location.....

Q: Why do you need an ASL?
    A: Because my wife is uncomfortable with guns in the house.

Q: Why is she uncomfortable?
    A: She is afraid that the kids will get them (or so it seems from your comment)

Q: Are they properly stored now?
    A: Yes they are

Q: So why does she think the kids will get them?
    A: Well because......and on it goes

Just man up and store them at home.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Store your wife at an alternate location.
    lol!

In all seriousness though OP, it can be done but realistically I wouldn't want something that could land me a federal Criminal charge anywhere outside of my immediate control.
    You are not the first person I've actually known to have a wife who is "nervous in the service" about having a firearm at home.
    You should honestly sit down with her, calmly discuss the situation and find out the real root cause of her apprehension. Then calmly and rationally explain to her why it's not founded lol Is she afraid the guns will come out of the locker at night and hunt down the kids?
    Is she afraid you can't be trusted and will harm the kids with the guns? Or her? That's essentially what she is implying whether she knows it or not.....
    There really is no good argument or reason for her paranoia. The trick though (like talking to any woman) is trying to get them to understand that lol Calm, bite your tongue, lots of patience, open discussion and you could prevail. Could...
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

Could I not just tell the CFO that my wife keeps my balls locked up in a different save and only lets me have them back when she wants to make a baby?

I agree her position is not rational - she is a city girl and the idea of guns, even locked in a safe, creeps her out a bit I guess. She did not grow up around firearms like I did and is still getting used to the idea.

I can see in some cases where an alternate storage location may have prevented some mishaps, but in most cases it wasn't the storage location but the stupidity of the owner that resulted in the problem.
    I read about one instance where an owner opened a safe while having a family bbq to show his collection to his buddies and a weapon that he thought was cleared discharged and killed someone. Stupid owner and alcohol was probably involved.

There is a good chance that Oscar Pistorius wife would be here today if he stored his handgun at work. Again storage location was not the real issue here but you can see what I mean.

Finally there was an issue in my home town where a gun shop was broken into and the thief took a list of people who bought ammo. The thief's then decided over the course of a few months to break into the homes of these people and steal there weapons (they broke into safes).

None of this would sound logical to most gun owners or the CFO but to a woman who isnt a gun nut, it all makes a lot of sense.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Your not married are you?
    First post in three years and it a doozy.
    Did you take your PAL yet?
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

I actually called my wife after i read this post to ask her if she was open to the idea of staying at an "alternate location"....not sure where i'm sleeping tonight.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast