2017 Shot show: Shooting the Tikka Arctic Range Rifle at 525 yards with open sight.

louthepou

Snow-White Le Mod<br>Moderator
Rating - 100%
787   0   0
Today was the Media Range Day at the 2017 SHOT Show. Fremen and I got to try out the future Canadian Ranger Rifle and, have to say, I was very impressed.

This rifle is very well made, oozes quality. Fit and finish are great too. But it doesn't feel like a poser; it really feels like a well-made tool ready to work.

The model we were handed only had iron sights. Great peep system, with a 5-position "cup", calibrated from 100 to 500 (yards?). The sight picture offered by that peep combined with a very good front sight was very clear, easy to put on target (even for my poor old eyes...).

How well did it perform? We shot a few rounds starting at 300 yards, at IPSC's steel silhouette targets, then worked our way to 525 yards. I wish I could say that I did very well, but let's just say that Fremen gave me a lesson in iron sight marksmanship. All in all, I was very impressed with this rifle. Can't find anything bad to say about it, and it deserves praises. The trigger was a little light for my taste, but that is a personal prefence.

Last edited by a moderator:
What can I say that Louthepou has not already said.

I was surprised by this rifle. Although I do run Iron sights often never almost never beyond 200. So being able to get rounds on target at 525 was awesome.
The rifle itself is very well built. I found it very solid and you get the feeling that this was a rifle built to last.

The trigger was light as mentioned ( would guess around 2.5 to 3 pounds, I doubt it will remain this way. The sites we very nice. (No pictures yet will post once I have them). One failing of the sights was that it is hard to read the range markings on the drum, this would be easily fixed with a bit of paint. Fit and finish were very nice. The bolt was extremely smooth.

It was interesting to not that we were told that most people choosing to shoot it were Canadian.

The Vender's did put Louthepou and I to a small match or challenge of some off hand standing sending rounds 1 round at 100 and 2 at 200.

I will leave the outcome for Louthepou to comment on.

JBP_3931.jpg

Sight pictures

IMG_0819%20Large.jpg

IMG_0820%20Large.jpg

More of the rifle

32379089205_1c38ad9dde_h.jpg

32379088985_f484feb9ea_h.jpg

32379088815_3a07d37b4b_h.jpg

31568302223_a7205f289c_h.jpg

31568301843_cd6ee9749c_h.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, ok, here. We were asked to take three shot, from standing position; one at 100 yards, two at 200. Fremen hit the small "C.A.S. cowboy" steel target, three for three. I only managed one, at 200 yards. I got my ass kicked!

hows it compare to the Ruger Scout?

i ask because i have a Ruger Scouts and ill be getting one of the Ranger guns next year (so they tell us) just wondered how they compare, cause they sure look the same!

I was able to take in the ATAC contractors range day yesterday. Shot out to 1000 yards with a Desert tech 338 and was able to ring the steel. Lots of full auto and suppressed toys to run and belt fed goodness. The grenade launchers were amazing as well.
Sadly no pictures or video were allowed .....

Ok, ok, here. We were asked to take three shot, from standing position; one at 100 yards, two at 200. Fremen hit the small "C.A.S. cowboy" steel target, three for three. I only managed one, at 200 yards. I got my ass kicked!

I can relate, it's our old aging eyes. The front is focused but the rear is blurry / multiples. Ha ha

i ask because i have a Ruger Scouts and ill be getting one of the Ranger guns next year (so they tell us) just wondered how they compare, cause they sure look the same!

At more than double the price it better be quite a bit nicer. Looks like a sweet rifle though

They are night and day. I found the sights on the Tikka to be much better.

Tikka Sights

IMG_0819%20Large.jpg

IMG_0820%20Large.jpg

Ruger Scout sights

IMG_0821%20Large.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

Last edited:
The price is way out on this one. There is no way that is worth well over $2K.

well lets compare.
to get a Ruger Scout in 308 right now your looking $1400 (todays price at WWS)
and the Rangers gun comes with all the goodies, so a pelican like case, sling, soft case and trigger lock.
if you source those out from WWS like i did with the Ruger your looking hard case $460, soft case $60, sling $50, trigger lock $25 (all estimates)
total $1995.

so roughly 2k to buy roughly the same kit off the shelf at WWS.

well lets compare.
to get a Ruger Scout in 308 right now your looking $1400 (todays price at WWS)
and the Rangers gun comes with all the goodies, so a pelican like case, sling, soft case and trigger lock.
if you source those out from WWS like i did with the Ruger your looking hard case $460, soft case $60, sling $50, trigger lock $25 (all estimates)
total $1995.

so roughly 2k to buy roughly the same kit off the shelf at WWS.

I believe the civilian version comes with nothing but a cardboard box. At $2500-2700 it is certainly expensive but after handling one in Edmonton recently I'm sure one will end up in my safe :)

THis will be nice to get right now my Cadex 338 is like talking out the Royal Yacht Britannia to pick up a carton of milk

Back
Top Bottom