Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel Core Ammunition on our Range

No steel core allowed at the club I am a member of as well. When you sign up they tel you, when you do your intro shoot, guess what? They tell you. Signs are posted in the shooting bays "no steel core ammo"... what did I see yesterday? Guy blasting away with green tip. Range officer caught it pretty quickly, guys said he bought it there so he thought it was okay. There was a sign right on the pile of green tip boxes for sale that it wasn't range safe. Some people just don't think or care. Not the only range rule I saw him and his friend break that day... idiots.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Beater's Avatar
    must be some kinda ####ty steel. we use 3/8 and 7/16 T100 at our range and shoot it all day with any kinda steel core you want never gets hurt like that
    payment within 24 hours , if not i retain the right to cancel the deal

TSE - a PIA, but you have to demand three things a) all ammo declared and tested before entry, b) your rifle is bore sighted, if not offer 'em up a laser c) you F up its minimum $500 d) better yet start collecting a deposit. Indeed a round leaving the range would be very, very bad for everyone. With the extremely high volume of steel core/jacket out there you just can't take any chances. Also its amazing you can shoot a rifle indoors at all when you consider they have 3-4 times the energy of a .44 mag.

Just a non bias post here as I don't shoot steel core indoors nor do I shoot at your range but :

I think the main issue here is not only the quality of your steel but the method it was cut. First, if that truthfully is ar500 or 550 steel it was 150% cut with a torch which is a big no no with armour plate. Secondly, if that steel was cut with water jet, it is most definitely not ar500 or 550

I have a pile of test plates I was sent to not only test but to try and destroy from a now successful target company (I am not mentioning who) . Through my own testing I have seen this exact same issue happen.... But never the fault of steel core ammo. When I had this happen it was from plates cut with heat vs water jet or low grade armor plate. Shockingly 223/556 ripped more from the edges than 308 did. The only time it's acceptable to cut armour plate with a torch is when your doing an edge that you then plan to weld (with proper sticks or wire) .

The quality armour plates I have that were cut with water jet have been pounded with just about anything you can think of and have absolutely zero damage to them. This includes 50 bmg and 12 gauge slugs. Also copious amounts of steel core surplus ammo
    Id Rather Be Judged By 12 Than Carried By 6

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    I'd be willing to take a chunk of the steel, and do hardness testing and micro samples for checking the structure.

Tell you if it's actually AR500...

I dunno where I am but I know where you can stick it
    The lack of surplus use is a reason I will never be a member at your range.
    Lois can't stop me from experiencing the manic highs and lows my body demands.
    Kerosene is fuel, Brian. Red Bull is fuel. Kerosene is Red Bull.

Kerosene is Red Bull.>>>>>>>>>>?????
    Make certain that you Enjoy life! You are never going to be younger than you are today.

CGN Regular
    I can attest to shooting steel core 308 at metal gongs and it does not tear holes in ar500... you can say no steel core is allowed on range thats fine, but that stuff is certainly not ar500
    Last edited by Nyksta; 01-18-2017 at 05:24 AM.

CGN Regular
    What steel they use is irrelevant.

What matters is the rules they have in place, and the people that do not have the respect to follow them. If people don't like the rules, leave.

I don't think much else has to be said here.

It should be banned due to the fact it will eventually increase the membership costs to repair items such as that.
    CCFR — CSSA

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast