Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Steel Core Ammunition on our Range

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    [QUOTE=thepolinator;13407932]I
    Quote Originally Posted by zenmagic View Post
    If I did that even mistakenly, I would expect a bill for the damage. Then again that's just my generation.
    Yes. Your generation never did anything bad. Flawless human beings, every last one of you...

Ya know, its your generation that was the parents to this generation or the previous one...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    Welcome the CGN.
    What he said.
    In my favorite dream I'm on the old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Rosie O'Donnell is also on spouting some dumb s**t. So I swing a large Northern Pike like a bat and smack her right in the fat yap. Debbie Travis and Sarah Palin coo seductively. Johnny and Ed high five me. The audience gives me a rousing standing ovation. Later we pick up Dean and Jerry and head over to Hef's.

Didn't quote the messages right so deleted
    Last edited by Thefergs; 01-19-2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Didn't quote right

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    Guys,

We did not start this thread to have it become a witch hunt. We just wanted to show how damaging the wrong ammo can be and is.

Lets all get along here please.

JR
    Just a quick question as I've never bought or even seen steel core. Do you have any issue with the surplus, Norinco, or Dominion FMJ steel jacket with lead core? How can you tell between the two different types?

My range allows all ammo at the moment but some idiots keep using their SKS on the indoor range even though it's only for 2000fps or less.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Seeker View Post
    Just a quick question as I've never bought or even seen steel core. Do you have any issue with the surplus, Norinco, or Dominion FMJ steel jacket with lead core? How can you tell between the two different types?

My range allows all ammo at the moment but some idiots keep using their SKS on the indoor range even though it's only for 2000fps or less.
    I have no issues with lead core ammo at all. Bi-Metal jackets may spark a bit, but since we started vacuuming the ranges, a fire is a lot less likely. ;-)

If someone comes in and we do not know for sure, we just take a round back to teh gunsmith and they take it to the grinder: Steel core = no, lead core = yes.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar

I have no issues with lead core ammo at all. Bi-Metal jackets may spark a bit, but since we started vacuuming the ranges, a fire is a lot less likely. ;-)

If someone comes in and we do not know for sure, we just take a round back to the gunsmith and they take it to the grinder: Steel core = no, lead core = yes.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

BANNED

If someone comes in and we do not know for sure, we just take a round back to teh gunsmith and they take it to the grinder: Steel core = no, lead core = yes.

JR
    Ah, helps to have the grinder on hand. Was thinking the magnet trick wouldn't be much help. Good enough for me. Thanks for the reply.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar

Czech steel core:

Hornady SST

(I was bored...)
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

If someone comes in and we do not know for sure, we just take a round back to the gunsmith and they take it to the grinder: Steel core = no, lead core = yes.

JR
    Hi JR

Did the rules recently change on the bimetallic lead core stuff? is this allowed?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trinimon's Avatar
    I've seen some 1/4" AR500 plates take much less damage than in the pics from steel core milsurp 7.62x39. That said, how the heck do they manage to shoot THAT high off the target that's at least 1.5-2' lower than the carriage?
    Last edited by Trinimon; 01-20-2017 at 02:39 AM.
    CSSA Member