Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Steel Core Ammunition on our Range

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakjack View Post
    Czech steel core:

Hornady SST

(I was bored...)
    I put forward what you have there looks anything but czech ammo I recently purchased some sellier and bellot ammo that was %100 chinese. The spam cans had oxidization/paint covering the chinese letters on the can but the ammo was and is chinese. I pulled a couple rounds out of the berm at my local range and they looked just like that stuff.
    AT

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Seeker View Post
    Just a quick question as I've never bought or even seen steel core. Do you have any issue with the surplus, Norinco, or Dominion FMJ steel jacket with lead core? How can you tell between the two different types?

My range allows all ammo at the moment but some idiots keep using their SKS on the indoor range even though it's only for 2000fps or less.
    Dominion non corrosive lead core bimetal jacket
    Norinco non corrosive steel core

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    I sure won't say anything about a range deciding on what ammo they want used- that is their business.

I will say I am a bit interested in the damage. I have seen hundreds of thousands of rounds hit AR500 plates. Most rifle shots were .223 FMJ and 7.62x39 steel core ammo. Most shocking was to see a 300 WM soft point put a hole right through a 3/8 AR 500 plate (stationary, not one that swings) I personally shot one of my 3/8 AR 500 plates that was leaning against a berm (so not swinging) with my 375 Ruger and it also went right through as well. I think the bullet was a 300 gr Hornady soft point but it could have been a 250 TTSX or 270 TSX, it was a long time ago.

I bought some 1/4" AR500 swingers from Fraser valley Targets that were for pistol only, but of course I needed to try rifles on them. At 50 yards the .223 FMJ made a clear dent. The 7.62 steel core did virtually nothing. Just a regular pockmark.

So I can understand that the range 1/4" ar500 is not a swinger and obviously a fixed target will soak up more energy, but that damage looks really harsh, and I wonder if something was wrong with the plate.

As an aside, 1/4" works great for pistols. I will no longer buy 3/8" for rifles, I only want 1/2". For personal use where you (a reasonably proficient shooter) will mostly hit the middle of the plate, 3/8" is fine. For a "range" target, where all sorts of people are going to be shooting at it with questionable accuracy, the 1/2" wins, even though it's more money. The reason is usually the holes to hang the targets or whatever mount is used. Those are weak spots and when they get hammered lots they get brittle and crack. The 1/2 lasts way longer.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Atman.01 View Post
    I put forward what you have there looks anything but czech ammo I recently purchased some sellier and bellot ammo that was %100 chinese. The spam cans had oxidization/paint covering the chinese letters on the can but the ammo was and is chinese. I pulled a couple rounds out of the berm at my local range and they looked just like that stuff.
    AT

Hmmm. They came in a wooden crate with Czech writing all over it. 2 spam cans, olive drab in colour with more Czech writing on them. Inside the spam cans, the little cardboard boxes also have Czech writing on them. Sound like what you had?

I'm fairly confident the spam cans weren't repainted... I've cut and bent them up for various little projects where I needed a wee piece of sheet metal, and have never noticed a second layer of paint, or previous markings under the olive drab.
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Atman.01 View Post
    AT

Double tap. (Dang. Twice in one day. I'm off my game)
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

CGN frequent flyer
    The rule has been with the core/tip, no steel allowed there. The casing is ok to be steel as it will just wear out your ejection port a little bit, no damage to anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblack View Post
    Hi JR

Did the rules recently change on the bimetallic lead core stuff? is this allowed?

CSSA Life Member

Nope! Club ammo only with club guns, all other members bring they're own!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    I have no issues with lead core ammo at all. Bi-Metal jackets may spark a bit, but since we started vacuuming the ranges, a fire is a lot less likely. ;-)

If someone comes in and we do not know for sure, we just take a round back to teh gunsmith and they take it to the grinder: Steel core = no, lead core = yes.

JR
    Does this mean we can shoot lead core regardless of jacket material? I.e 7.5x55 swiss

No steel core allowed at the indoor range I go to.

Little magnets in each stall so you can test yourself before shooting if you are unsure.

No steel core allowed at the indoor range I go to.

Little magnets in each stall so you can test yourself before shooting if you are unsure.