Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Shot Show: A nice Remington 783 - indeed.

Snow-White Le Mod

2017 Shot Show: A nice Remington 783 - indeed.

The entry-level 710 and 770 Remington rifles have received their share of criticism over the past years. That's probably why I haven't paid much attention to their 783 model recently, also an entry-level offer. I thought it could be time for me to give Remington a chance to convince me to pay more attention to the 783.

So, I to went to Rem's booth, and looked at some of their new products. There, I saw a reasonably good-looking, walnut-stocked bolt action rifle - a new member of the 783 lineup.

This walnut stocked 783 is proposed either without a scope, or with a decent Vortex scope. Ok, not bad! And it has an adjustable trigger. I rather like the fact that these are the two options - without a scope, or with a good one, rather than offering a scope which would probably be upgraded very soon anyways.

The magazine appears to be decent too; this was a pleasant surprise to me. Mostly metal, and the release tab is metal, with a synthetic tip.

I had a quick chat with two folks from Sail, and I asked them, in their stores, how popular were the entry rifles like the 783 compared to the models sitting one step above. For this particular Remington, they both told me that, aside from the price point, buyers were pretty much set on having a removable magazine, which most Remington 700 lack. Interesting.

Ok, maybe it's a good thing I left my pre-concieved ideas behind. This is a nice rifle, with no obvious cost cutting shortcut.
    I like to refurb Lee Enfields!

CSSA, CCFR member

My 783 works just fine for me. No complaints here.
    Liberal party of Canada- Useless since 1867

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Looks like a flashback to the old 788 in some ways.
    1944 - 18 year old men stormed the beaches of Normandy into almost certain death.
    2021 - 18 year old boys need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.
    2022 - 18 year old boys aren't sure what bathroom to use.

That is really nice! I might just pick one up for moose hunting this year.

Thanks for sharing. It's the best value in a rifle IMO.
    Andy

Since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by saskcop View Post
    Looks like a flashback to the old 788 in some ways.
    Not looking to bust your chops but they're nothing alike. About the only thing the 788 and the 783 share is Remington's half-assed marketing efforts. 😉

The 700 will always have a place in my heart but if big green had introduced the 783 with a high gloss blue and premium walnut stock or as a HB varminter in an HS precision stock...

This is getting closer.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer hawk-i's Avatar
    I've got a plastic stock 783 in 308, its a very good shooter and I like the rifle.

These wood stocked ones look great, once they come out stainless steel in the wood stock I will have a hard time not buying another one.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltasilver View Post
    Not looking to bust your chops but they're nothing alike. About the only thing the 788 and the 783 share is Remington's half-assed marketing efforts. ��

The 700 will always have a place in my heart but if big green had introduced the 783 with a high gloss blue and premium walnut stock or as a HB varminter in an HS precision stock... This is getting closer.
    Wouldn't be at all surprised if more varieties were to appear.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltasilver View Post
    Not looking to bust your chops but they're nothing alike. About the only thing the 788 and the 783 share is Remington's half-assed marketing efforts. ��

The 700 will always have a place in my heart but if big green had introduced the 783 with a high gloss blue and premium walnut stock or as a HB varminter in an HS precision stock...

This is getting closer.
    I was just referring to "looks", not function.
    1944 - 18 year old men stormed the beaches of Normandy into almost certain death.
    2021 - 18 year old boys need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.
    2022 - 18 year old boys aren't sure what bathroom to use.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Thanks for sharing. It's the best value in a rifle IMO.
    In a sub $500 rifle maybe. I'd buy one over an axis that's for sure. I still can't seem to lower my standards enough to buy one though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast