Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2017 SHOT SHOW: SKELI X11 Modular Carbine

CGN Ultra frequent flyer norlandgeese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daver_II View Post
    I disagree that a bolt hold open is important.... Sure it is nice to have, but I guess it comes down to the IA drill. and how the gun functions... arguably this gun doesn't really need it.
    It's probably a matter of training and perspective. If someone is trained in AR manual of arms and is using an AR as primary rifle and retraining is a no-no, you can understand to that person some features are must have. E.g. Straight insert mags, drop free mags, ping-pong paddle BHO etc etc.
    Mismatch is the new black

The only fast way to rip a magazine out when a cartridge is half way pushed out and wedged between the bolt and the chamber, is to pull the bolt to the rear, lock it and rip the mag out with force.

Without a bolt catch, an IA of like 5 seconds will turn into eternity. Not acceptable in my book.

All military weapon have a way to lock the bolt open, either by a bolt catch or a slot in the charging handle channel. G3, SA80, AUG, SIG55X, G36..everyone has it. Other than the AK that is a 1950 design.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer norlandgeese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    The only fast way to rip a magazine out when a cartridge is half way pushed out and wedged between the bolt and the chamber, is to pull the bolt to the rear, lock it and rip the mag out with force.

Without a bolt catch, an IA of like 5 seconds will turn into eternity. Not acceptable in my book.

All military weapon have a way to lock the bolt open, either by a bolt catch or a slot in the charging handle channel. G3, SA80, AUG, SIG55X, G36..everyone has it. Other than the AK that is a 1950 design.
    Any Russian or Russia connected folks here to comment on their instructions for IA?
    Mismatch is the new black

Quote Originally Posted by norlandgeese View Post
    Any Russian or Russia connected folks here to comment on their instructions for IA?
    Left hand go over the rifle and pull the charging handle to the back, leverage the rifle on the shoulder while the right hand rips the mag out.

It is doable because AK has a pedal mag release and a "rock-in" magazine, so there is enough leverage to do it this way. Not effective with a push button insert type mags like AR mag.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

"No bolt release and no last round open."

The company should explain the reasoning behind this, I'd be curious to hear it.

I may have missed something. But just because there is no bolt release or last round hold open doesn't mean there is not a way to lock the bolt in the rearward position. Think ruger 10/22 or an MP5. Both don't, but on an MP5 the drills made for it work.

I took a very close tour of that same grey/black X11and came away quite impressed. As noted, it could use a collapsible buttstock and a bolt catch, but I could live without the latter. Opinions on the value of the bolt catch vary. I view it as a "nice to have" feature that is easily worked around if absent. In any case the X11 was very lightweight and well-balanced making it feel lively in the hands. The ergos were fjne - reminiscent of an AR, but with an HK cocking system. The barrel-change is quick and simple, provided the rifle is cool to the touch. The fact that it uses standard AR barrels is a plus that will apparently keep the cost of conversion kits under $500 USD for commonly available calibres. With a US MSRP of $1499, the X11 should sell very well in Canada for around $2K CA. This is especially true if the 18.5" barreĺled rifle receives a non-restricted classification, as is likely based on multiple features and patented parts which clearly differentiate the X11 from all existing designs. All in all, the X11 is a very slick little self-loading rifle that appears to be almost ready for prime time. Hopefully we will see production guns rolling out in 2017......
    Mark C

Any word on FRT?
    Slava Ukraini!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234