Thread: 2017 SHOT Show: New Cartridges

2017 SHOT Show: New Cartridges

New cartridges introduced at SHOT, (or very recently and promoted here) include the 6.5-300 Weatherby, two from Nosler, and the 6mm Creedmoor from Hornady.

Yes, the 6.5-300 Wby was announced late last year, but is being promoted as new at the booth. They dont want to steal their own thunder...
    (And yes, it has been around as a do-it-yourself wildcat for probably three decades. But SHOT isnt about what somebody can cook up in their basement, it is where manufacturers get to shown off new stuff.)

The first of the two from Nosler is the 33 Nosler, again based on the large case size of the 404 Jeffery case, as is the others in the family. (26,28, and 30 Nosler)
    And as with the 6.5-300 Wby above, they did actually release details a little while ago.
    They refer to this one as The Patriarch of the cartridge family.
    More info: https://www.33nosler.com/

The other was only announced days ago. It is the 22 Nosler.
    In order to keep the head diameter the same (to use the same bolt), and yet increase the case capacity by increasing body diameter, this round has a rebated rim.
    It is interesting that it is marketed towards the AR-15 system. By swapping out the AR-15 upper, and changing mags (to one with 6.8 SPC Rem lips), you can add another 300 fps to your gun.
    Of course this is probably a lot more useful in a country that allows you to take your AR out varmint hunting...
    More info here: https://www.nosler.com/blog/news-and...5the-22-nosler

I dont have a lot on the 6mm Creedmoor yet, other than it is the 6.5 necked down.
    Not much on the Hornady site yet either.
    http://www.hornady.com/store/6mm-Cre...-gr-ELD-Match/
    I'll be back tomorrow.

Photos as I load them...!
    Last edited by tootall; 01-18-2017 at 04:24 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer hometownhero's Avatar
    Interested in seeing what the brass is gonna cost for the 22 nosler. I see a new 6mm coming soon to me depending on prices.
    '14 Carbon Spyder 30 Blackout
    '14 Pro Edge Elite White
    '15 Podium X Elite Silver ice

I can't fathom why a company doesn't produce "new" rimfire calibres like 32, 38, and 41. The sales they would get would be unbelievable.

I get it, they're doing "their thing", and branding their product. But honestly, we start running into such minute differences, that it seems silly at times. Either way, some will love it, and some will hate it. And that's cool. The more firearm options the better.

SOMEONE JUST START DOING MORE RIMFIRE IN 32/38/41 PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by saltednutz View Post
    I can't fathom why a company doesn't produce "new" rimfire calibres like 32, 38, and 41. The sales they would get would be unbelievable.

I get it, they're doing "their thing", and branding their product. But honestly, we start running into such minute differences, that it seems silly at times. Either way, some will love it, and some will hate it. And that's cool. The more firearm options the better.

SOMEONE JUST START DOING MORE RIMFIRE IN 32/38/41 PLEASE
    Why do you think those would be popular?

Quote Originally Posted by gdawg View Post
    Why do you think those would be popular?
    Because when Navy Arms ran .32 they sold out so fast people's heads spun.

Antique shooters on both sides of the border crave these rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by saltednutz View Post
    Because when Navy Arms ran .32 they sold out so fast people's heads spun.

Antique shooters on both sides of the border crave these rounds.

The 32 are for prohib revolvers this side of the border though.

If I remember correctly that ammo run by Navy Arms was prior to C68 and the decline of short barrel and 25/32 cal handguns. I think that was late 80s or very early 90s?

At any rate it is like any other business enterprise, they produce what has a large demand from a huge portion of the population of gun owners. I also understand that tooling up for rimfire rounds like you desire is complex given what they view as a limited population of consumers.

CD
    Guns are like potato chips....you can never have just one.

Never trust a politician who says, "trust me".

I will never get used to Big Brother looking over my shoulder!

I have seen the future.................and it SUCKS!!!!
    (born in the wrong time & place)

Theme songs:
    "I Wanna Go Back" by Eddie Money http://www.lyricsdownload.com/eddie-...ck-lyrics.html
    "Dream On" by Aerosmith http://www.lyricsfreak.com/a/aerosmi..._20004389.html

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deckard's Avatar
    Did I miss the floozie thread?!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Pics!? Where are the Pics!!??!!
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Quote Originally Posted by cdill View Post
    The 32 are for prohib revolvers this side of the border though.

If I remember correctly that ammo run by Navy Arms was prior to C68 and the decline of short barrel and 25/32 cal handguns. I think that was late 80s or very early 90s?

At any rate it is like any other business enterprise, they produce what has a large demand from a huge portion of the population of gun owners. I also understand that tooling up for rimfire rounds like you desire is complex given what they view as a limited population of consumers.

CD
    32 RF is not...when in an antique.