Thread: 2017 Shot Show: Overview of Youth lineup

Snow-White Le Mod

2017 Shot Show: Overview of Youth lineup

While visiting Mossberg's booth, I couldn't help but notice how significant their youth lineup is. I've introduced quite a few young ones to the joys of shooting sports, I have to say, at times it was difficult to find just the right firearm for some of them. So it's an aspect of the industry which does matter to me.

You have rimfires, centerfires and shotguns in there; single shot, repeaters; some with adjustable ergonomics. One which I didn't know about is the "Patriot Bantam Walnut"; with a 20 inch fluted barrel, a 12 inch LOP, and an adjustable trigger. I would imagine that the .243 version would be ideal for most smaller shooters; it's also available in 308 and 7mm-08, but I'm not sure my 110 pounds younger son would prefer one of these two calibers rather than the 243 version...

And then, there's this contraption - I know it's not new, but it does fit in a "guns for youth"thread; the 464 SPX :

The concept of a tacticool lever action isn't one that I particularly feel attracted to. BUT, the idea of having an adjustable buttstock going from a short 11.25 inches to a long 15 inches, in a light 30-30 lever action (also exists in 22lr), has to receive some sort of praise. Here's the same rifle with stock fully extended:

And one more with stock fully retracted with a wood stocked 464 for comparison:

It's great to see a major company offering such a complete lineup to help older shooters share their passion with the next generation!
    I like to refurb Lee Enfields!

CSSA, CCFR member

Although not new this year I feel that this little rifle needs some attention.

All youth rifles to me have felt lacking in one department. They do not grow with the shooter.

This rifle comes with a place holder mag that acts as a feed tray for single shot shooting.
    Once your new shooter has some experience and are ready to become a bit more autonomous the single shot adapter can be replaced with a Mossberg 802 mag, allowing 20 rounds.

The rifle is 4 pounds with a 12.5 inch LOP.
    Sights are standard post and leaf.

All in all a handy little rifle with some thought but into it for the continued use of a newer shooter.

Something from Ruger

The BX 1-1 magazine

This is a single shot mag for the 10/22® Rifle, SR-22® Rifle, 22 Charger Pistol, .22 LR Ruger American Rimfire® Rifle and .22 LR Ruger 77/22® Rifle.

At this time it does not ship with any of their youth rifle line. While talking to Ruger, Lou and I suggested that it really should.

Last edited by Fremen; 01-24-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there!

George Orwell

I agree...great to see Mossberg with plenty of offerings for younger shooters and shooters of smaller stature. I had a Half Pint for my daughter until last year. Loved the idea that you can change it from a single shot to a repeater just by changing the plug to a magazine. Two things I didn't like about it were the pot metal bolt that was a bit loose fitting, and the poor feeding whether through the plug or magazine. Okay...maybe a third...the dovetail scope mount is not my favorite, though it works. Would be nicer if it was drilled and tapped for bases. Ended up picking up a Savage Cub for her instead.

I'm really excited to see manufacturers starting to care about smaller shooters. Just because we're short, doesn't mean we want a wimpy cheap gun either!
    with great power comes great responsibility.