Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiappa Firearms: Rhino, Double Badger, M6, and shotgun inserts

Snow-White Le Mod

Chiappa Firearms: Rhino, Double Badger, M6, and shotgun inserts

Not necessarily news, so this post is about things I find really fun.

I stopped by the Chiappa booth because I wanted to take a look at the Rhino revolver; never held one in my hands before. I know it may be a bit "out of character" for me, but I really like the look and feel of this rather unusual revolver. I was surprised to find some models were double-action only. The double action is a bit heavy, the single action (when available) was quite nice and crisp. I wouldn't mind trying one out soon. I would stick to the black model, but really if you want to show off, the gold version is difficult to miss.

Seeing how fast any old Savage 24 rifle-shotgun over unders seem to sell on the used market these past years, I wanted to take a second look at the Chiappa Double Badger. I took a close look at several details and Ihave to say, these are not bad at all. I did find, on the 22lr-.410 they had on display, that the barrels were touching at the muzzle; not sure if that was dropped or if it's indeed a defect but, I did notice. But for the rest, good wood-to-metal fit, reasonable work to real with machining marks, and felt like tight tolerances also. Double triggers, good fiber optic peep sight, removable chokes... The fact that the Double Badger folds in two is also a really nice feature; fits in a day backpack easily.

Then, this was my first close view of the Chiappa M6 "Survival Gun". Also a rifle-shotgun over under which folds in two, the M6 has a rather unique buttstock made out of... foam? It looked like ordinary styrofoam at first, but playing with it and trying to chip at it with my nails, I saw it's actually a bit more robust than styrofoam. Chiappa refers to it at "prolypropylene closed cell foam stock", The foam is sandwiched on both sides by steel plates which extend to the action.

This brings me to the shotgun "C Caliber" inserts. The M6 Survival Gun is offered either on its own or with an insert kit; and the insert kits are offered on their own two, and made to work with any 12ga or 20ga break open shotgun. A complete 12ga kit allows you to shoot: .410 (45 colt), 20ga, .380, 9mm, .357mag (38sp), .40 s&w, 44mag and 45acp. The 20ga kit can shoot 9mm, 357mag (38sp), 45acp and ,410 (45colt). The inserts are about 8 inches long (I didn't measure them).

I like to refurb Lee Enfields!

CSSA, CCFR member

Awesome, thanks for posting!

BANNED
    Hiding in BC. Send lawyers, guns and money
    Even their shot show models have crap QC. Man do they ever suck.

Quote Originally Posted by j_06 View Post
    Even their shot show models have crap QC. Man do they ever suck.
    Chiappa in general or the Rhino's or .... ?? I've been thinking about getting a Rhino for a while now but may reconsider if they are problematic.

Just curious what's new with Chiappa M6, so far did not see anything changed...

BANNED
    Hiding in BC. Send lawyers, guns and money
    Quote Originally Posted by TPK View Post
    Chiappa in general or the Rhino's or .... ?? I've been thinking about getting a Rhino for a while now but may reconsider if they are problematic.
    Chiappa.

I have a 6" 38/357 mag Rhino in black. I love it!

That laminate grip looks bigger then the wood one or is it? The only thing I find off is the small wooden grip.

Why can't they make it chambered in 500 s&w

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by louthepou View Post

Lou, if you'll answer a question...

Did you handle the standard brown wood grip VS the grey wood grip? I happen to particularly like the Rhino (regardless of a lot of poor reviews) and the only issue I have is that grip!!!

The rubber grip is designed for the stubby and way too small. The brown wood grip hurts my middle finger between the second and third knuckle causing a pinched nerve. I am just wondering about the pressure point on that third bone of the middle finger, if you felt the grey grips were better.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

Snow-White Le Mod
    Without remembering 100%, i would say that the grey laminate grip felt big in my (small) hands, and their shape of course forced a fixed spacing beteeen each finger. Aside from that, not sure if i can offer more insight for you, sorry!
    I like to refurb Lee Enfields!

CSSA, CCFR member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast