Thread: 2017 Shot Show: Desert Tech MDR update

2017 Shot Show: Desert Tech MDR update

I know Tootall had gone to the live fire event that was inconveniently placed on a Thursday night. I am pretty sure he will have pictures or maybe videos later on. So for a quick update in reference to this thread back in 2014:

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...?highlight=MDR

The model on display now has a injection moulded made plastic body instead of the 3D printed version in last year. The rep called it the "production prototype" and should be pretty final. They are maintaining the March delivery time frame. Unfortunately, somehow I no longer have any pictures due to technical reasons.

The delay....I was told they brought in consultants to finish up the design. I don't see too many drastic differences on the outside, but...... the forward ejecting port cover is not "hinged" anymore, but is attached to the port by a spring loaded latch that you have to press on two min latches to release. Once it is out, it is separated from the main body. This is probably a cost cutting measure or they find that the hinged cover will be stuck if there is a stoppage , but the down side is that if there is a stoppage in the forward ejecting port cover, you will need to hold on to the rifle somehow, use your thumb to press on the two mini latches, and then rip the cover off with your hand, maybe with the use of a sharp flat headed tool to pry if it gets stuck badly. This will not be a 10 second IA drill like the AR, but it will be a task involving some fine motor skills. I don't see that it is viable in winter environment with gloves on, unless forgoing the forward ejection port cover and letting it work as a normal ejecting system. On the fly, you probably will just rip the forward ejecting port cover ( toss it or put it in your pocket), clear the stoppage and let it eject like a normal firearm. Practically, it will be great if things go well, but it is ever stuck, it will be harder and slower to clear then the FS2000

The first model coming out of the gate is 7.62 Nato, and then 5.56. The first model will come with chromemoly CHF barrel. SS match barrels will be somewhere down the road. This is described as 1 to 1.5 MOA rifle "large calibre sports utility rifle" versus a precision rifle in its initial release. .
    Last edited by greentips; 01-24-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    So it sounds more or less direct competition to the rfb at a thousand or two more? If they, themselves claim 1 to 1.5 moa, that would be under perfect condition with match grade ammo or reload. So one could expect under real life conditions 1.5 to 2.5 moa. Plus add a possibly finicky forward ejecting system and you have a recipe for disappointment.

Snazzy case is snazzy.

Canada is done, save the West.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer norlandgeese's Avatar
    Anyone overcame technical difficulties and post some pics please?
    Mismatch is the new black

Bigger case pic.

Canada is done, save the West.

CGN Regular
    anything over 1 MOA in SS match barrels will be a huge disappointment. Id park my money with the ATRS MV or MH