Thread: Hunting migratory game birds with a DA Grizzly Mag

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

Hunting migratory game birds with a DA Grizzly Mag

I just read a thread below about hunting migratory birds with multiple firearms but I have a slightly different question. Is it legal to hunt migratory game birds with a detachable magazine shotgun? The regs appear to not have addressed this one way or the other. The mag limit must be achieved by means that requires the user to disassemble the firearm to remove the magazine plug. But I have riveted some of my Grizzly Mag magazines to two rounds. Is that an acceptable plug? BTW, I'm running a 28" Remington rem-choke barrel on the Grizzly. I'm not enough of a noob to try shoot snow geese with a 12.5" barrel.
    ***** FREE THE WEST *****

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FreedomIsn'tFree's Avatar
    I don't see why you couldn't use it with the rounds limited in the mag as you have done, but I'm not 100% sure of that.
    It's better to have questions you can't answer, then answers you can't question.
    When you have no property rights, YOU ARE THE PROPERTY!
    WEXIT, IPSC, CCFR.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I wonder if a conservation officer would have something to say about carrying extra magazines (also pinned to two, of course).
    ***** FREE THE WEST *****

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman762 View Post
    I wonder if a conservation officer would have something to say about carrying extra magazines (also pinned to two, of course).
    He can say whatever he wants. The law is very clear on the subject. Specifically there is no law on the subject, thus it is entirely permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Excerpts from: Migratory Birds Regulations

Hunting Methods and Equipment
    15 (1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) and section 23.1, no person shall hunt a migratory bird

(a) except with a long bow and arrow or with a shotgun not larger than number 10 gauge;

(d) with a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells unless the capacity of the gun has been reduced to three shells in the magazine and chamber combined, by means of the cutting off or the altering or plugging of the magazine with a one-piece metal, plastic or wood filler that cannot be removed unless the gun is disassembled; or

(2) No person shall, while hunting migratory birds, have with him for his own use more than one shotgun at any one time unless each shotgun in excess of one is unloaded and disassembled or unloaded and cased.

(3) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), no person shall hunt a migratory bird by the use of a rifle or a shotgun loaded with a single bullet.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - When all else fails, vote from the rooftops "Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Thanks, Blastattack! I'll be hunting snow geese with this shotgun in the spring, then. I used it for Strathcona County whitetail shotgun season this fall. Such a versatile firearm.

I tried using my buddies Dominion arms 12 gauge. It was so slow to replace the mag I could shoot and load and shoot again my pump Mossberg before you can remove that magazine and reinsert another one.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta) Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member