Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me identify this brass.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Craig0ry's Avatar
    I also think its been cut and resized to 8mm kurz
    I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before. - Burt Gummer

Valcartier Industries 7.62 x 51 shortened to 7.62 x 25 or else a special run of 7.62 x 25 or 7.62 x 33 or 8mm Kurtz.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Beater's Avatar
    308 x 1.5 wildcat already been said I think
    payment within 24 hours , if not i retain the right to cancel the deal

Super GunNutz
    Wild speculation, but didn't one of the recoilless rifles have a co-axial sighting rifle that took a special round?

IVI 5.56 converted. If head stamp has dated 74 and 78. 5.56 came into service in early 90s.

The 106 recoilless (105mm) I believe had a .50 cal for sighting.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer scruffee's Avatar
    It's reformed military 7.62x51mm brass. IVI is the monogram for the Industries Valcartier Inc now owned by GDOTS, the double digit number is the year the brass cartridge case was manufactured and the circle with a cross is the NATO interchangeability symbol.

Can't be anything but a NATO calibre (ie: 5.56mm, 7.62mm or 9mm Luger) because it has the NATO interchangeability symbol, meaning Linked 7.62mm manufactured in Canada for Canadian Army specs can be used in a German MG3 for example, without damaging the weapon system.
    Last edited by scruffee; 01-31-2017 at 03:34 PM.
    "Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will" - T-Dog Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by scruffee View Post
    It's reformed military 7.62x51mm brass. IVI is the monogram for the Industries Valcartier Inc now owned by GDOTS, the double digit number is the year the brass cartridge case was manufactured and the circle with a cross is the NATO interchangeability symbol.

Can't be anything but a NATO calibre (ie: 5.56mm, 7.62mm or 9mm Luger) because it has the NATO interchangeability symbol, meaning Linked 7.62mm manufactured in Canada for Canadian Army specs can be used in a German MG3 for example, without damaging the weapon system.
    What he said. The circle with a cross means it's suppose to be interchangeable. With that said, I have seen German ammo fed through the C6 and it had a few hiccups. It still worked but seemed to have more stoppages that the guns running our ammo. Now it could have been those specific guns as some are getting pretty old but that's just what I observed.

It definitely started life as a nato standard cal and reworked into whatever it is now. Take some measurements and you'll get a more accurate answer of what it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnut2 View Post
    IVI 5.56 converted. If head stamp has dated 74 and 78. 5.56 came into service in early 90s.

The 106 recoilless (105mm) I believe had a .50 cal for sighting.
    5.56 came into CDN service in 1988, deployed to Iraq with black rifle, tumbling round

Quote Originally Posted by dakaroo View Post
    5.56 came into CDN service in 1988, deployed to Iraq with black rifle, tumbling round
    I have IVI 86 5.56 brass and rounds. 62 gr bullet C77 (SS109)
    Sure looks like 8mm kurz with that little short neck. Hard to believe somebody left them behind, after forming them and it looks like the necks were turned too.
    Last edited by kawicrash; 01-31-2017 at 04:09 PM.

I saw this in Beverly Hills Cop II! :P

This was a plot device, some odd casings were found that could not be classified...investigation concluded that they were custom-made handloads, a .308Win case cut down and sized to hold a .44 bullet as ammunition for a .44 AutoMag pistol, ammunition for which was hard to find and/or expensive.

From Wikipedia: "The .44 Auto Mag Pistol (AMP) cartridge was introduced in 1971. Its rimless, straight wall case was originally formed by trimming the .308 Winchester or .30-06 case to 1.30 inches (33 mm)."

This would be the only reason I could think of to cut down a casing from a military caliber that was produced by IVI.
    “And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing! Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back! You got the right same as anyone to live and... try to kill people.” - Capt. Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast