Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any 8MM surplus Ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    We have a large supply of russian capture reman ammo coming in soon. Price approx $1 per rd.
    Neat! Is it corrosive?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    We have a large supply of russian capture reman ammo coming in soon. Price approx $1 per rd.
    Cool! Now I can sell my DeLorean!

Boxer or berdan primed?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by volkov956 View Post
    got some last year $500 for 900rnds turkish 53 great stuff hakim loves it now have i seen it since nope...glad I kept all the brass sp far since been converting it to boxer now there is the tool from shot show might make life easier if it works haven't seen any on canada ammo yet tho
    For the love of god don't shoot Turkish 8mm through your Hakim, that is how you blow up guns.

I have written this several times on here, but since I see the message isn't getting across I will put it down again.

The Turkish 8mm round is based off the WWI 7.92x57 round also called Patrone 'S' ('S' standing for Spitzer aka pointed in German). This round was a 154grn flat-based spitzer .323 bullet travelling at roughly 2880 ft/sec. The Turkish never updated to the later Patrone 's.S.' round which pretty much everyone else did (this being the 198grn boat-tail spitzer .323 bullet at roughly 2490 ft/sec).

Now what this means for civilian shooters is pretty much all semi-automatic 7.92x57 rifles (8mm Mauser) were chambered for the Patrone 's.S.' not Patrone 'S' which would generate a significantly different pressure curve and potentially destroy semi-automatic firearms (and it has). This is what caused people to believe that Turkish 8mm is dangerous, simply because uneducated people used the wrong ammo in the firearm (think of it being the same as shooting Swiss 7.5x55 GP-11 ammo though a Swiss 1889 rifle in 7.5x53.5 GP-90, it generally will chamber, and it will explode as it wasn't designed for that type of pressure).

What this means is if you have a M98 action in good condition you should be fine. If it is a Turkish Mauser that is actually the ammo the sights would be regulated for (same thing for Gewehr 98s and the original Kar 98s). I personally wouldn't use it in a Commission 88/05 rifle even though it was done as they weren't the strongest rifle action to begin with (and there were documented cases of them blowing up in Turkish service as well as German service, I recommend reading up on the Commission 88 rifles and doing a ton of research as to what to shoot out of them if you intend to).

I hope this helps clarify the confusion that can be caused by this particular round. It is odd that it is difficult to find good solid information on 7.92x57 (8mm Mauser) despite the fact it is one of the most common rifle rounds for military surplus.

I assume it isn't reloadable? Doesn't matter, you tell me when it comes in and I'll buy some.

Great to hear! Is it brass or steel cased?
    CSSA / CCFR / CPC (almost to the point of walking away)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer angrysoldier's Avatar
    I have a small Mountian of Turkish 8mm. Both pre and post war ammo. Is it hot? I don't think so. The recoil is not bad and it accurate. Have not cronny it but it's nice shooting ammo.
    dont sweat the petty things, and dont pet the sweaty things

Any chance of .303 coming in?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12