Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M305 for Tac Rifle matches?

If the ammo cost isn't an issue and you're not trying to be competitive, go for it. A few people ran 308s in IPSC rifle last summer and while they were at a distinct disadvantage, they sure had fun.

The main issues were that the recoil slowed follow-up shots, and many were using 5 round mags rather than 50 Beowulf mags. 3X more mag changes has a huge impact on times. The M305s that were run are also slower with mag changes than AR10-type rifles.
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Eagle View Post
    Shortening the barrel will be minimal weight savings. Most of the M305 weight is in the action, receiver and stock. Lighter stock makes for a very barrel heavy rifle.
    Yes. It is barrel heavy right now. Regardless of tacmatches, this rifle can use some weight loss, specially at the front. As for getting an AR, I try to stay away from restricteds. It is just too frustrating having to comply with our wonderful laws around restricteds. A few days ago I was thinking about arranging a quick trip to Texada Island with my VZ58 to grab one of those dog sized blacktails. An AR would not be allowed to do so.

I only have one restricted, a High Standard Supermatic Trophy 22LR handgun. And I only got it because my grandpa had one almost identical and my dad lost it. So when I stumbled upon it at Reliable Gun, I had to have it. It was a sentimental impulse buy. My 8 year old loves to shoot it. One day I was telling him that his Ruger 10/22 would be great for rabbit hunting. He then said that the handgun would be even better. Then I had to explain to him how people ignorant about guns created laws that forbid us to use our High Standard for hunting rabbits. Things like these are very frustrating and I try to stay away from frustration if I can help it.

I've seen people take their M1A's to tac match before, just make sure you have crates of that surplus Norc 308 and get 10 round mags from Canadaammo (AIA magazines)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Splatter's Avatar
    Yes, chop the barrel. 19" won't lose too much velocity from the .308. Load your own ammo, use 125-ish grain bullets loaded with a slow-ish powder like 4320, Reloader 15, or maybe even 4320. Just enough power to cycle the action reliably will easily make power factor (It'll be a pretty close equivalent to the 7.62 Soviet), and the brake is a pretty good one; but get it threaded 1/2"-28, the barrel is too small to tread 5/8".
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. "

Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by Slamfyre View Post
    Yes. It is barrel heavy right now. Regardless of tacmatches, this rifle can use some weight loss, specially at the front. As for getting an AR, I try to stay away from restricteds. It is just too frustrating having to comply with our wonderful laws around restricteds. A few days ago I was thinking about arranging a quick trip to Texada Island with my VZ58 to grab one of those dog sized blacktails. An AR would not be allowed to do so.

I only have one restricted, a High Standard Supermatic Trophy 22LR handgun. And I only got it because my grandpa had one almost identical and my dad lost it. So when I stumbled upon it at Reliable Gun, I had to have it. It was a sentimental impulse buy. My 8 year old loves to shoot it. One day I was telling him that his Ruger 10/22 would be great for rabbit hunting. He then said that the handgun would be even better. Then I had to explain to him how people ignorant about guns created laws that forbid us to use our High Standard for hunting rabbits. Things like these are very frustrating and I try to stay away from frustration if I can help it.
    If you are going to spend $$ to modify your m305, you'd be better off getting a new 223 rifle and/or an AR-15 for range only fun. Considering you are a member at abby, and shoot matches at ranges. I don't really see the reason why you don't have an ar-15 haha. You can get an awesome ar for a fairly decent price, especially off of the EE.
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

Quote Originally Posted by bsand View Post
    If you are going to spend $$ to modify your m305, you'd be better off getting a new 223 rifle and/or an AR-15 for range only fun. Considering you are a member at abby, and shoot matches at ranges. I don't really see the reason why you don't have an ar-15 haha. You can get an awesome ar for a fairly decent price, especially off of the EE.
    When the Libertarian Party of Canada de-restricts it, I will buy me a Sig MCX.

Tagged for curiosity. Do these matches require a secondary (handgun) or shotgun?
    I am a kit hor(der)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatM305Guy View Post
    Tagged for curiosity. Do these matches require a secondary (handgun) or shotgun?
    Sometimes shotgun, but we're hoping to breach into sidearms too. Check out DSSMatch.com for info!

Quote Originally Posted by Slamfyre View Post
    When the Libertarian Party of Canada de-restricts it, I will buy me a Sig MCX.
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    Yes, chop the barrel. 19" won't lose too much velocity from the .308. Load your own ammo, use 125-ish grain bullets loaded with a slow-ish powder like 4320, Reloader 15, or maybe even 4320. Just enough power to cycle the action reliably will easily make power factor (It'll be a pretty close equivalent to the 7.62 Soviet), and the brake is a pretty good one; but get it threaded 1/2"-28, the barrel is too small to tread 5/8".
    I have an m305 that i want to cut to 18.6 and thread it 1/2"-28 and get an adapter for 5/8" and put a vg6 gamma 762 brake on it. Eliminate all recoil. Thinking of doing it..... am i crazy?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast