Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handgun maintenance

Handgun maintenance

Hey CGN, not a newbie necessarily, but new to this type of scenario. I have been shooting for 3 years now but only in the last year competitively. After trying out a G17 and MP9 for IDPA I actually came upon an SFP9 and have fallen in love with it. It's the only gun I shoot competitively. I also have a Steyr M40 as back up. My question is, I have fired about 2,000 rounds through (not a lot) but I have dry fired it about 12,000 times. I have of course done basic field stripping, cleaned and lubed, but should I be taking it to a Smith to give it a once over to see if anything needs replacing? I am not comfortable enough to start totally taking it apart to examine it. Plus not sure if I'd really know what to look for....I know there are YT videos if I wanted to go down that road. Thoughts if I even need to worry about anything yet?
    I may not be as good as I once was...but I'm as good once as I ever was

Don't practise until you get it right...practise until you can't get it wrong

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Do you dry fire with snap caps?
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

I'd say about half the time...I thought with modern semi autos it wasn't necessary to use snap caps? If I do great but not necessary...am I wrong?

You are not wrong. However, I always err on the side of caution because I could be the exception that makes the case. Know what I mean?
    With the 2000 round count, I'd say you're good for a few more thous. Esp. on a HK.
    Look for cracks on the frame esp on the rails. Wear spots on the slide stop. And build up on the feed ramp. The rifling should be good for a lot more. Keep the gun clean and lubed and you should be fine.
    If your groups start opening up or you get weird patterning, or weird ejection patterns or FTF, FTEs or issues igniting normal primers, then you should start looking at some deeper maintenance.
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

meh, since you got a backup gun I'd run yours until something breaks

HK's are fairly durable, VP9/SFP9 is the same as a glock, you can dry fire til the cows come home and not have any issues. No snapcaps required (they are nice to have, but NOT required).
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

Quote Originally Posted by Still alive View Post
    You are not wrong. However, I always err on the side of caution because I could be the exception that makes the case. Know what I mean?
    With the 2000 round count, I'd say you're good for a few more thous. Esp. on a HK.
    Look for cracks on the frame esp on the rails. Wear spots on the slide stop. And build up on the feed ramp. The rifling should be good for a lot more. Keep the gun clean and lubed and you should be fine.
    If your groups start opening up or you get weird patterning, or weird ejection patterns or FTF, FTEs or issues igniting normal primers, then you should start looking at some deeper maintenance.
    Thanks Still Alive...I think you also gave me some great advice when I was searching for a revolver to shoot in IDPA.

Quote Originally Posted by rayzorloo View Post
    Thanks Still Alive...I think you also gave me some great advice when I was searching for a revolver to shoot in IDPA.
    Did you ever get your 4.2" wheel gun?
    CCFR CPC

Did you ever get your 4.2" wheel gun?
    Yes sir...a 686, been practising my reloads and shooting weak hand...LOL that DA trigger is brutal with the weak hand.

The make or break is always the reloads on a revolver. Are you loading with the support side or transferring the gun and loading strong side?

Why are you working on support hand shooting? For your own benefit? There's no requirement for support hand shooting in iDPA.
    And, yes, pulling a DA trigger with your weaker side is difficult after a while. But pays off when you transfer the skill back to semi autos! Keep at it!
    CCFR CPC

The make or break is always the reloads on a revolver. Are you loading with the support side or transferring the gun and loading strong side?

Why are you working on support hand shooting? For your own benefit? There's no requirement for support hand shooting in iDPA.
    And, yes, pulling a DA trigger with your weaker side is difficult after a while. But pays off when you transfer the skill back to semi autos! Keep at it!
    I believe I am using the FBI reload? Transfer to weak hand, give it a smack and load with strong hand. I'm trying to get accustomed to weak hand just for the classifier...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast