Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: few questions about Transit, Sorage and Shooting.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the help, I agree we have some wonky laws as well, and no 2 states seem to follow another, I actually carry a reciprocity map in my wallet so I'm not to break a law in another state while Carrying, and I carry daily (which I'll greatly miss) My biggest concern atm is if My children (under 12) can shoot legally not hunt but shoot, I know it may seem silly but that could lead to a deal breaker for me if not. The 150 acres has been in my family for over 100 years and it ain't going anywhere, my last resort could be just move up to Michigan enjoy even more freedoms then the state I'm in and visit my family more often with a much shorter jaunt.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wabbacha View Post
    Thanks everyone I really appreciate the help, I agree we have some wonky laws as well, and no 2 states seem to follow another, I actually carry a reciprocity map in my wallet so I'm not to break a law in another state while Carrying, and I carry daily (which I'll greatly miss) My biggest concern atm is if My children (under 12) can shoot legally not hunt but shoot, I know it may seem silly but that could lead to a deal breaker for me if not. The 150 acres has been in my family for over 100 years and it ain't going anywhere, my last resort could be just move up to Michigan enjoy even more freedoms then the state I'm in and visit my family more often with a much shorter jaunt.
    They definitely can. If you have a PAL, and they're under your direct supervision, they can legally shoot anywhere that shooting is legal.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

That would be excellent, thanks mate!

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...mineur-eng.htm

Seems under 12 require direct supervison and over 12 can apply for their own licence and shoot without supervison.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    This blog post just came up in my FB feed. It is written by a firearms lawyer, so it ought to be authoritative. (But I'm not paying, so it could be pure BS!)

plourdelaw.com/blog/2015/07/where-can-firearms-be-discharged-in-ontario.shtml
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

At 12 years of age they can take the necessary courses and apply for a minors POL. This will allow them to shoot without "immediate and direct" supervision. Up to that point they can shoot but someone with a (R)PAL must be supervising and able to "take over" should SHTF.
    My two sons recently completed the course. One is 12 the other 15.
    I was told by one of the instructors that, due to the recent changes in the POL/PAL licenses, a minors license entitles them to purchase firearms as long as an adult is present at the time of purchase. The same applies for ammo. I'm still not 100% convinced of the firearms purchasing part. The RCMP site says differently. I do know for sure that ammo can be bought by them though.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Welcome home!

Here is a 3 minute primer on Canadian Gun laws

The bulk of our Gun law comes a bill passed in 1995 called the Firearms act. The Firearms Act also amended the criminal code to give our gun laws the force of criminal law. Specifically, Part 3 of the criminal code sets out the requirements that all Canadians must comply with regards to firearms ownership. It sets out the requirement to have a license, register restricted and prohibited firearms, have authorizations to transport, and as well sets out prohibitions on certain acts ie pointing, concealing, loading, transferring to an unauthorized person, possession at an unauthorized place, etc, as well as the administrative functions of criminal just including what courts and police can do regarding seizures, warrants, and prohibition orders. The firearms act itself governs a variety of topics including the rules for issuance of licensing, requirements for registration, what specific individuals can and can't be authorized to own and what they can do with them. It also sets out the roles for import/export, businesses, as well as creates the bureaucratic framework for registration and records.

Also, both under the Criminal Code and the Firearms Act, there are dozens of sets of regulations that get into the knitty gritty, and this is where you will find the specific requirements for storage, transportation and display of firearms, the regulations for Authorizations to Transport, license regulations, etc.

There is a lot of ambiguity and uncertainty in our laws, as they were poorly written by politicians who lacked an understanding of complex public policy and systems design.
    Our courts have been relied upon to make sense of the mess, and there are a few important court cases that define or clarify some of these provisions, but there are many issues that just haven't been in front of a judge yet.

----Primer Ends -----

So now some answers...
    does your typical "Plano style" black plastic rifle or pistol tote constitute as safe storage when traveling and does it need to be pad locked?
    1st, 'storage' and 'transportation' are not defined by law, but the regulations mentioned above seem to treat them as separate categories.
    2nd, requirements for either storage or transportation are different based on classification of the firearm in question, and in the case of transport, the requirements are different if the firearm is unattended in the vehicle or not.

For the exact law, see the regs. http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...209/index.html

Trigger locks are generally not required for transporting non restricted firearms, except for an almost incomprehensible requirement that you need a trigger lock if your vehicle can't be locked and you are leaving it unattended in "remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.

Trigger locks are always required for restricted and prohibited firearms, in addition to locked containers, of which your plano will suffice.

Storage: Non Restricted and Restricted firearms can be stored in your Stack On or your Hornady safes without the need for trigger locks. They must be unloaded. You can store ammo or charged magazines in those safes, but not on or near those safes, unless the ammo is locked separately, unless the room in which everything is stored has been specifically built for the storage of firearms that is kept securely locked. Easy peasy right?

Shooting. The criminal code and firearms act specify the rules for possessing firearms and loaded firearms, and the rules for transporting firearms to those authorized places. Whether or not you can shoot at those locations is typically governed by local by-laws, and what you can shoot at is typically government by provincial laws, usually in relation to wildlife.
    In general, all firearms can be discharged anywhere that there is not an express prohibition on doing so. The firearms act prohibits possession of restricted or prohibited firearms outside of your house, without an ATT. Its an endless internet debate if you can shoot restricted on your own property. Its one of those issues that has never been in front of a judge. Your local by laws may not have any bans, or they may have bans on certain days or times of day. Provincial laws will regulate what you can hunt, what you can hunt with, and may in some cases prohibit target shooting in certain areas at certain times.

Shooting range. The law defines a shooting range as "a place that is designed or intended for the safe discharge, on a regular and structured basis, of firearms for the purpose of target practice or target shooting competitions," regardless of public or private use. http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...age-1.html#h-1
    If you set up a bench and targets, you have built a range. Thousands of Canadians create ranges on their own property without being authorized under the firearms act. This is another issue that seems to have never been before a judge.

There is no age limit for people shooting under the supervision of a licensed individual. Minors licenses are available under certain circumstances for people 12-18 years old.
    Hunting is regulated provincially, check the Ontario hunting regulations.

As for determining whats legal, use caution when dealing with local law enforcement as they rarely deal with legal firearms issues, and have been known to give bad advice to the detriment of the gun owners. In questions of classification, and legality, consult the law. If you can't make sense of it, ask questions here. If you can't get satisfaction here, check a lawyer, but in many cases only a judge will be able to say for sure. I lament the loss of your 14 firearms, and hope that you have not been told to get rid of something that you were actually allowed to keep.

I hope that helps. This is free legal advice offered over the internet so its worth what you paid for it. Good luck!
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

thanks man, you guys are very helpful, I figured as such with what you said but just wanted to cross my t's and dot the i's, I did check with multiple sources before I let go of the "prohibited" firearms, some had deep connections to me, very missed.

As a legal carrying responsible citizen I hate to break it to who's ever in charge of deeming such firearms "prohibited" in Canada, but the "shorties" as I see them called in the north, are not even practical carry guns (poor accuracy), yes many carry them but any experienced person that carries daily will tell you that a full sized handgun with a small grip or rounded butt is more practical as for it prints very little and has a Longer more accurate barrel, barrel length barely matters in carrying, Im sitting in my computer chair atm with a 5" 1911 shoved down my pants "appendix" and I barely feel it. and when i stand up and confront anyone, they haven't the slightest.....

but again I thank you all, take care and hope to be back home soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12