Thread: Squib Load M and P 15 22 possible dent in barrel

Squib Load M and P 15 22 possible dent in barrel

So I was shooting my M and P 15 22LR yesterday at the range. I fed it CCI STINGERS and was shooting different ammo before I used the CCI, just testing different brands earlier. When I shot the first few rounds of CCI everything was fine until the 3rd or 4th shot I heard a loud pop that wasn't normal so I pulled the mag out and it noticed the casing was ruptured. I took pliers and removed the casing and noticed my ejector broke off and flew off who knows where. I then looked down the barrel and noticed it was blocked so I stopped using it and when I got home I pushed the bullet out which came out pretty easily but what I noticed after was a ring indented into the barrel around where the squib load got stuck.

My question is will the indent in the barrel wall affect the rifle's accuracy? I mean it a 22 so longest shots would be between 50-75 yards but still wondering if its safe, the dents are deep enough that you can see them with a light from the breech side of the barrel. Its about 2 inches in from the breech into the barrel.

I am contacting warranty from smith and Wesson to see if they can replace the extractor but the barrel is my main concern. An thoughts would help!

Thanks!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer vagrantviking's Avatar
    As long as you can't feel the bulge from the outside there's a good chance it will fine for both safety and accuracy. Look up bulged barrel. I'd say 1 in 10 old .22's have that.

Why not see what a new barrel is worth while contacting the warranty center?

Thanks for the tip, will ask them about that! And I looked at the rifle and there is what seems to be a slight bulge on the outside but I can't tell if thats because its where the barrel mets the lower piece of the AR or if its because of the impact in the squib, might have to look at it a little more.