Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sound Moderator Petition?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by SniperLyfe View Post
    Exactly. It's 2017. Not 1917. Get with the program and set up a online petition. Not everyone lives close and wants to spend money on mail.
    Sniperlyfe, I'm curious what kind of "sniper" rifle, glass and ammo you could possibly buy if you're counting pennies for stamps?

Recommend you read more, post less.

Reliable did not start this petition, though I applaud them for taking the time to print out a copy for customers to sign.

In case you didn't know it was 2017 and not 1917 and didn't know how to click on links I provided, I have quoted the originator of the petition from his original thread.

Quote Originally Posted by magz View Post
    SOUND MODERATORS CANADA HAS OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED A PETITION TO THE HOUSE OF COMMONS

For those that haven't yet heard; with the strong support of Alberta MP Arnold Viersen, I have launched an official petition to the Government of Canada. Once signatures are collected, this will be presented to the Government in the House of Commons by Arnold Viersen. This will be an incredible tool to show our politicians just how much support there is for this cause.
    In order to be most effective, we have chosen a traditional format for this petition and not an electronic one.

This petition will be available for signatures at most of the major Sportsman and Gun Shows in Canada this Spring. Below is a growing list of locations where you can intercept and add your name to this travelling petition:

Permanent Locations:

Laval QC – T.A.S.K. Canada
    Lachine, QC – Club De Tir De Ville St-Pierre (CTVSP)
    Ottawa ON – Eastern Ontario Shooting Club
    Toronto ON – Target Sports Canada
    Windsor ON – General Gun & Supply
    Harrowsmith ON – SFRC
    Ajax ON – Firearms Outlet Canada
    Blenheim ON – Rondeau Rod & Gun
    Winnipeg MB – Xtreme Gun Shooting Center
    Virden MB – Wolverine Supplies
    Prince Albert SK – Frontier Firearms & Army Surplus
    Medicine Hat AB – The Outdoorsmen
    Calgary AB – The Shooting Edge
    Calgary AB – Calgary Shooting Centre
    Calgary AB – Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply
    Red Deer AB – Red Deer Shooting Centre
    Vancouver BC – Reliable Gun
    Surrey BC – International Shooting Supplies

Shows:
    Feb 9 – 12 Calgary Boat and Sportsman’s Show
    Feb 10-12 Camrose Huntmania
    Feb 16-19 Montreal Sportsman Show ***THIS WEEKEND***
    March 11-12 Moose Jaw Gun Show
    March 15-19 Toronto Sportsman Show
    March 16-19 Edmonton Boat and Sportsman’s Show
    March 16-19 Quebec City Sportsman Show
    March 19-20 HACS Chilliwack Show
    March 25-26 Estevan SK Gun Show
    March 31-April 2 NB Sportsman Show
    Apr 1-2 Dawson Creek Sportsman show
    April 14-15 Calgary Easter Gun Show
    April 28-30 Cloverdale Hunting & Fishing Show
    May 14 Sault Ste Marie- Algoma Rod & Gun club
    May 12-14 Fort Mac Gun Show
    ***Many More To Follow***

Big Thanks to All of Our Strong Supporters for Hosting This Petition!

Please email soundmoderatorscanada@gmail.com if you have a location that you would like to commit to managing and we’ll add it to the above list!

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Below are instructions on how to add your name to this petition if you can’t make any of these shows or locations.

1. Please click here for a PDF version of this petition. Or click here for FRENCH version.
    2. Print a physical copy of the petition on standard 8.5 x 11 paper. Print as many pages as you need.
    3. Add your signature and address. You may not sign for anyone else, but we encourage you to reach out to everyone you know that may be interested and have them sign as well.
    4. Please do not fold the pages; instead mail them in a full page size envelope.
    5. Mail the completed ORIGINAL pages to:
    SoundModeratorsCanada
    PO Box 43036 Deer Valley
    Calgary AB, T2J 7A7
    6. Please mail them as soon as possible and no later than May 31st 2017.
    7. Keep in mind, the pages do not need to be full. Even a page with just one signature can be sent in. Every signature is counted.

We appreciate your help!

RESOURCES

Petition - PDF English (Click HERE)
    Petition - PDF FRENCH (Click HERE)
    Countertop Fact Sheet - PDF English (Click HERE)
    Countertop Fact Sheet - PDF French (Click HERE)
    Countertop Poster - PDF (Click HERE)
    Complete Petition Hosting Package - PDF English (Click HERE)
    Complete Petition Hosting Package - PDF French (Not Yet Ready)

HELP NEEDED

We are looking for more gun shops, clubs, and other locations to host this petition and manage mailing them back. If you feel you can help us out with this, please help. If you arrange a hosting location, and commit to managing the collection of the pages and mailing them into the address above at the end of May, please email me at soundmoderatorscanada@gmail.com with the location, any other info you think would help, and please let me know if the club/shop would like their logo posted to the website (I can pull it from google if it’s available).

OTHER INFORMATION

A few minor typos have been found in some of the documents that are posted. I will be correcting these as soon as I can and the links will be automatically updated with the typo free versions. The actual petition pages are error free.

I encourage everyone to have a browse through some of the studies available at SoundModeratorsCanada.ca, there is some incredible information there.

I would also encourage everyone to send an email to arnold.viersen@parl.gc.ca and thank him for the support he’s given us on this issue. It was a long process to find an MP that was willing to support and present this petition; I can’t express how excited I am to have him on board.

SoundModeratorsCanada
    PO Box 43036 Deer Valley
    Calgary AB, T2J 7A7
    soundmoderatorscanada@gmail.com

I want to take a second and try and address some of the issues that I have heard from fellow Canadians on this issue so far. Supporting material is available on the website, and more generally with a simple google search. There are alot of myths associated with these devices that are taken as fact by both gun owners and non gun owners alike. I wanted to address some of those myths below.

Sound Moderators: Also known as Suppressors or Silencers

MYTHS AND FACTS

Myth 1: SOUND MODERATORS MAKE GUNS SILENT LIKE WE SEE IN HOLLYWOOD
    Fact: There is still a LOUD report from the supersonic flight of the bullet.
    Fact: There is still a significant report from the muzzle.
    Fact: There is still a significant report from the mechanical action of the firearm.
    Fact: There is little to no reduction in sound forward of the firearm.
    Fact: Suppressed gunshots regularly meter above 130 dB; they’re bloody loud.

Myth 2: CRIMINALS WILL USE SILENCERS EXTENSIVELY
    Fact: In countries where they are legal, there is little to no criminal use.
    Fact: They are big, bulky, HOT after use, not quiet, and can be difficult to conceal.
    Fact: There were only 2 federal cases involving murders and sound moderators in the US over a 10 year period.

Myth 3: LEGALIZATION WILL MAKE SOUND MODERATORS MUCH MORE AVAILABLE TO GANGSTERS
    Fact: Very effective Sound moderators can already be built for under $20 with readily available parts from most hardware stores with instructions easily found on the internet, yet we do not see them used or built by criminals and gangsters to any degree in Canada.

Myth 4: SOUND MODERATORS ARE USELESS; GUNS ARE NOT THAT LOUD ANYWAY. IN MOVIES, HEROES OFTEN FIRE HUNDREDS OF ROUNDS WITH NO EAR PLUGS AND THEN HAVE A CONVERSATION.
    Fact: Virtually all un-suppressed gun fire is well above the universal hearing damage limit of 140dB
    Fact: Just a handful of nearby shots will temporarily deafen a human being. Gun shots really are that loud.

Myth 5: LEGAL SOUND MODERATORS WILL BE USED TO BY ILLEGAL POACHERS THAT WILL GO UNDETECTED BY WILDLIFE OFFICERS
    Fact: See Myth 1 and Myth 3.

Myth 6: IN AN ACTIVE SHOOTER SITUATION, POLICE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO LOCATE A SHOOTER USING A SOUND MODERATOR
    Fact: See Myth 1.

FACT: I’d recommend reading this.
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...th-silencerco/
    Last edited by Mister Donut; 02-14-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
    What would stop poachers from using suppressors in the first place? They're already comfy with breaking the law as it is, what's harm is it in breaking two? Poachers who have been previously convicted might even be under a firearms ban and they still manage to get equipped in that regard. Availability of real suppressors might pose difficulty but there's plenty that seem to be improvised out of oil filters. If they choose to poach with a bow or crossbow its quite irrelevant anyways.

Imagine how many ranges could reduce noise complaints from neighbors if suppressors were legalized? Shooting facilities would benefit, fewer would be closed by NIMBY's who move in next to existing facilities, peoples hearing safety would increase and the sport could get a positive boost. Hunting with a suppressed rifle would be great, hearing safety would get a massive boost there. People need to hear the movement of game when they're hunting, so most don't have hearing protection for the shot or two they'll take. Those unprotected shots add up over the years.
    So first part of my post say I agree with suppressed weapons so I'm not sure who your trying to convince as I'm aware of the positives of suppressors I don't need to "imagine" what it would be like. Your naive if you think poaching will not increase, sounds of shots is a huge deterrent for most, as that brings unwanted attention to illegal activities. The proximity of shot to homes and structures would increase, you can deny it all you want but with the good comes the bad. People can still poach silently with a bow or cross bow silently now but the range is significanty less.
    “Okay, I reckon the hare gets ####ed”
    “What, Proper ####ed”

BANNED
    Went in Friday to sign the petition......bought a new Holosun......absolutely impossible to walk out of there without buying anything.....*%&$#@!

Haha, thanks Hermes!

CGN Regular
    Signed, hopefully others out there hear about this and sign.

ooo Does this mean I can shoot my mark18 without pissing every single person off around me now?!? About time!

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by TapRoot View Post
    ooo Does this mean I can shoot my mark18 without pissing every single person off around me now?!? About time!
    You and me both.

Would love to be able to get a real corncob to justify the KAC M4QD flashhider, lol!

Signed, with call your friends.

CGN Regular
    Im not trying to be a smartass or rain on your parade but can anyone provide factual info where a petition actually accomplished anything?

I'd love to see this too but I think this will be as successful as most demonstrations in changing any politicians mind.

If I'm wrong great, but tell me where a petition changed anything.

Pot/weed....? Wait, that's what Trudeau is on.

Quote Originally Posted by booch View Post
    Im not trying to be a smartass or rain on your parade but can anyone provide factual info where a petition actually accomplished anything?

I'd love to see this too but I think this will be as successful as most demonstrations in changing any politicians mind.

If I'm wrong great, but tell me where a petition changed anything.
    I signed the petition, but you raise a fair point.
    Nevertheless, keep in mind, if enough people make enough noise about an issue, then that group is more likely to be heard. If that group represents a sizeable voting block....like, say, 6% of the population...then they're more likely to be heard by politicians.
    The 1st rule of debating is that you have to show up for the debate. I'm doing that, so to speak, by joining the NFA, CSSA, CCFR, & the Conservative Party, encouraging people to get their firearms license, and signing petitions like this one.
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast