Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171819202122232425262728293141 ... LastLast

Thread: We need to support Maxime Bernier

I have never joined a political party before but I did last night. I will be voting for Mad Max to protect my civil liberties and I urge all other Canadians to do the same.
    Member of CSSA,IPSC, ORA, NFA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 53Izzy744's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mississaugagunnut View Post
    I have never joined a political party before but I did last night. I will be voting for Mad Max to protect my civil liberties and I urge all other Canadians to do the same.
    I signed up as well. Feels good to have a say in who you would like to go against pm zoolander.

I'm onboard...not a big fan of Mad Max, but if he's willing to take care of my our community then we should take care of him. I got my CPC card for the first time and will vote for him if he follows through. This is our chance, we can make a difference...this is our NRA chance of a lifetime...let our community be influential!!! Either that or we will be forgotten and neglected.

BANNED
    I WILL be voting for mad max come the leadership election !

Time to stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by mississaugagunnut View Post
    I consider myself generally more liberal minded. However finally someone speaking out for our rights is great; this during our time of ultra politically correctness.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmGunGuy View Post
    One thing that still needs to be done is to decriminalize the ownership, storage, and transport of firearms by licensed gun owners.
    Don't see this anywhere in his platform. These sorts of minor violations should be fined and not involve criminal charges.
    If you are licensed, then ownership, ect is decriminalized. Unless you are saying we should all be allowed these privileges without the need for a license in the first place? (Which would be political suicide...)
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    If you are licensed, then ownership, ect is decriminalized. Unless you are saying we should all be allowed these privileges without the need for a license in the first place? (Which would be political suicide...)
    If you are licensed, then you can not be prosecuted for crimes under section 91 and 92 of the criminal code. Having a license decriminalizes nothing. The criminal offences for firearms possession continue to be crimes, and the second you are in possession of firearms without a license, you are eligible for criminal prosecution.

Some people would prefer to see a licensing regime more akin to drivers licenses, where the penalties are not criminal, but merely lesser provincial infractions. Others still truly would like to do away with licensing all together and instead focus the time and law enforcement efforts and preventing only those people who shouldn't have firearms from having them, while leaving everyone else alone.

Political suicide? you are probably right, today. But 70 years ago enacting the firearms act as it is now would have been political suicide. People change, politics change. Lets be the agents of change and get to work.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    If you are licensed, then you can not be prosecuted for crimes under section 91 and 92 of the criminal code. Having a license decriminalizes nothing. The criminal offences for firearms possession continue to be crimes, and the second you are in possession of firearms without a license, you are eligible for criminal prosecution.

Some people would prefer to see a licensing regime more akin to drivers licenses, where the penalties are not criminal, but merely lesser provincial infractions. Others still truly would like to do away with licensing all together and instead focus the time and law enforcement efforts and preventing only those people who shouldn't have firearms from having them, while leaving everyone else alone.

Political suicide? you are probably right, today. But 70 years ago enacting the firearms act as it is now would have been political suicide. People change, politics change. Lets be the agents of change and get to work.
    So then we have to make two sets of laws, those for non-gun owners, and those for ex-licensees?

As for being the agents of change, making unlawful possession of a firearm a lesser infraction will be political suicide for years to come, at the very least during the next election cycle, So a candidate that would push for such a thing would just secure the next election for the Libs.
    Last edited by Suther; 02-16-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    As for being the agents of change, making unlawful possession of a firearm a lesser infraction will be political suicide for years to come, at the very least during the next election cycle, So a candidate that would push for such a thing would just secure the next election for the Libs.
    Rural Liberal and NDP members could be attracted to changes that would prevent a constituent with a Cooey in their barn or who forgot to renew their license from facing jail time and a criminal record.

An alternative approach would be to replace 91(1)(a) and 92(1)(a) with a provision in the Firearms Act that an unlicensed person found with a firearm would have the weapon seized until he/she acquires the necessary license(s) to acquire it, transfers it to a license holder, has it deactivated or allows one year to pass after which time it will be deemed abandoned and destroyed. It's not quite a return to the FAC but a middle ground between what we have now and the former system.

I also bought a membership to vote for Bernier. Haven't been excited about anything like this in a long time.