Page 50 of 72 FirstFirst ... 304042434445464748495051525354555657586070 ... LastLast

Thread: We need to support Maxime Bernier

CGN Ultra frequent flyer norlandgeese's Avatar
    Not trying to re-post, but just want to make sure I am maximizing the effect of my family members' votes.
    (1) Bernier
    (2) O'Toole
    (3) Scheer

What saith ye?
    Mismatch is the new black

Bernier has too many skeletons (and mistresses) in his closet, never made it to BC from my recollection.
    O'Toole is a viable choice and realistic candidate but isn't bilingual. No matter what the ROC may think, the Quebec vote is necessary to win a majority, never made it to BC from my recollection.
    Scheer is bilingual, is of the same vintage as Trudeau, has a solid character, has political experience, and is favoured by a broad range of conservatives, isn't a loud mouth but sells his product with fact - not fiction, and is one of the very few candidates who made it to smaller communities.
    Member of NFA; CSSA; CCFR
    In Life - Every Decade Lived Doubles in Velocity from the Decade Lived Before - And Then One Day

Quote Originally Posted by bcbravo2zero View Post
    That's interesting speculation. The counter-argument is that O'Leary is more centrist than anyone else. And given that the Libs have moved quite far to the left, the centre is up for grabs...and that's where most of the votes are.
    Where did you see that poll, btw?
    There is no poll saying that... at all... your angle is probably closer to the truth. O'Leary is going for the center, it might work. Will it? Who knows.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer LuckyLuc82's Avatar
    Saw this on another thread:

The guy who is running the campaign for O'Toole (Fred Delorey) is also the guy who is being paid currently to be the chief lobbyist for the NFA.

There are two main problems with this.

One - this explains the bizarre delta between the CCFR and NFA on grading of the candidates. Max and Erin both have good platforms on guns. You can quibble about which one is better. Personally, I like Bernier because it is more specific and achievable (and more able to be held to account). But the difference is not between an A and a C+. So you have to ask, what are the metrics they used? Who benefits? When it is in the interest of an NFA employee to sandbag Bernier, it starts to make a lot more sense. What's more, given the shady history of the NFA in the last few years, you have to ask if there was a quid pro quo. Did Delorey drop his rates in exchange for bumping up O'Toole and sandbagging Max? We don't know.

Second - everybody needs to make a living, but "gun lobbyist", rightly or wrongly, sounds bad to non gun owners if it is printed across the front page of the Globe and Mail. It shows pretty poor judgment on the part of O'Toole to not either ask Delorey to step aside as NFA lobbyist while he is running the campaign, or it shows that the O'Toole fundraising machine is so piss poor that they can't afford to properly pay their top operative.

All of this is problematic all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by MountedMadness View Post
    Bernier has too many skeletons (and mistresses) in his closet, never made it to BC from my recollection.
    O'Toole is a viable choice and realistic candidate but isn't bilingual. No matter what the ROC may think, the Quebec vote is necessary to win a majority, never made it to BC from my recollection.
    Scheer is bilingual, is of the same vintage as Trudeau, has a solid character, has political experience, and is favoured by a broad range of conservatives, isn't a loud mouth but sells his product with fact - not fiction, and is one of the very few candidates who made it to smaller communities.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbravo2zero View Post
    That's interesting speculation. The counter-argument is that O'Leary is more centrist than anyone else. And given that the Libs have moved quite far to the left, the centre is up for grabs...and that's where most of the votes are.
    Where did you see that poll, btw?
    here's the one from forum research. I was slightly off with 36 for the libs and 4 for the greens.

http://poll.forumresearch.com/data/6...0horserace.pdf

when far left personalities like Suzuki are denouncing regressives like Trudeau, it is more apt to say that the cilmate has changed to make liberals the centrist party compared to further left organizations like the ndp or greens. especially when there is only one party in contention that can be considered "right wing."

Quote Originally Posted by K-Roc View Post
    There is no poll saying that... at all... your angle is probably closer to the truth. O'Leary is going for the center, it might work. Will it? Who knows.
    Problem is liberal voters consider themselves left wing when the actual case is, with the ndp and greens shifting left wing ideology further left, liberals have become what more people will consider centre. With about 19% of votes going to the ndp and greens, those people will rally to keep from electing a trump-like candidate such as O'Leary, who they will undoubtedly view as "right wing."

Quote Originally Posted by MountedMadness View Post
    So you're

Scheer
    O'Toole
    Bernier

???
    Something else????

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jericho's Avatar
    Imho, I like Blaney and Bernier, but I don't think there is enough time for either candidate to get popular enough to beat Trudeau come next election.

O'Leary flipflopped on some topics, including carbon tax and guns, but I believe he is the only candidate with enough status to beat Trudeau. His firearms legislation isn't too bad, certainly a step up from what we have now.

Reading these threads on CGN, clearly we Canadian firearms owners are screwed.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by norlandgeese View Post
    Reading these threads on CGN, clearly we Canadian firearms owners are screwed.
    Not sure exactly what you mean by this, but regardless, I don't agree. Despite the candidate selection (if that is what you refer to) and despite the sometimes(?) lack of cohesiveness of us as a group, the profile of firearms issues and lack of effectiveness of regulations, has been raised substantially by us as individuals (letter writing campaigns) and by the various groups by their education and promotion. In the big picture, that is a good thing...even if the Libs remain in power. Their rural members are paying attention, that is for sure.