Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 578910111213141516171819202122232535 ... LastLast

Thread: We need to support Maxime Bernier

I'm in. So far he's got my vote.

CPC membership purchased. I've been watching Bernier from the start, and like his policies. I think he is a strong choice to lead a CPC victory.

I do not liker O'Leary, both for who/what he is and especially b/c I do not think he would beat Trudeau. I believe O'Leary would push the undecided or neutral ground types over to Trudeau.
    "You can't be a leader if you don't know where you're going"

BANNED
    the guy who said at a tele-quebec talk show last week (francs tirreurs) that canadian soldiers where armed with AK44 ???? continue a manger des joe louis mon maxime!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DT741 View Post
    And who is it ?

I've got Bernier and O'toole I'd vote for
    It's a preferential ballot so you get up to ten choices. When your first choice drops off the ballot then your vote is applied to your second choice candidate if he/she is still in the race. Bernier and O'Toole are my 1 and 2 but I haven't decided the order or whether I'll support someone else too.

There may be a dark horse entering the race. Nominations close on the 24th so there is still over a week to go. Candidates may also drop out until the end of March meaning the field may narrow before voting day.

I bought my membership and Bernier has my vote! He is the only candidate that can muster cross-Canada support to beat Turdeau!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by dagarb View Post
    I like most (not all) of his policies. My hesitation is whether he can beat the left parties in the election. Political experience means political baggage, and some policies are risky in QC.

Does anyone have stats or something to say he has a shot in Quebec?
    The best predictor of the future, is the past.
    Justin Trudeau 2015 to Present, Liberal, Papineau QC
    Stephen Harper 2006-2015, CPC, Calgary SW, AB
    Paul Martin 2003-2006, Liberal, Lasalle, QC
    Jean Chretien, 1993-2003, Liberal, Saint Maurice, QC
    Kim Campbell, 1993 (Summer job), PC, Vancouver, BC
    Brian Mulroney, 1984-1993, PC, Charlevoix QC
    Pierre Trudeau, 1980-1984, Liberal, Mount Royal, QC
    Joe Clark, 1979-1980, PC, Yellowhead AB.
    Pierre Trudeau, 1968-1979, Liberal, Mount Royal, QC

In 39 of the last 50 years, Canada's prime ministers have come from Quebec. I have not seen any polls looking at Bernier's electability in Quebec. But one thing you need to understand about Quebec is that it is a socially liberal, politically conservative province with a strong emphasis on national loyalty. All of these bode well for the Conservatives and for Bernier personally. The challenge with Quebec politics is that the National loyalty and identity sways being Canadian national identity and Quebec National Identity. Stephen Harper is unique amongst our last bunch of PMs in that he was able to win despite Quebec, and not because of it. Of all the political candidates, Bernier is the only one, in my opinion, who has a hope of grabbing traditional conservative Quebec voters away from the double speaking federalist but nation within a nation Liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by JR86 View Post
    Steven Blaney isn't a consideration? Seems like most of the candidates support firearms rights in one way or another
    All of the candidates know that gun owners are a good source of support, votes and cash, and would ignore us at their peril. We may or may not be particularly influential in a general election against the liberals, but at party level they would be foolish to not at least do their best to say something adverse to firearms ownership. Its easy points to talk a good game about respecting legal owners while being tough of criminals. But most candidates don't actually have a clue what the detailed issues are.

Before becoming public safety minister, Blaney didn't have a clue either. To his credit, he went out and did his CFSC/CRFSC, got his license, and started shooting. He listened very well to gun owners and stakeholders from across the spectrum, and not just his civil service advisors. His office was responsible for C42, and the tepid, minimalist approach to that bill is evidence of his commitment to fixing our gun laws. Even as the public safety minister, comprehensive reform was not in his wheel house. His English isn't great, but he is making great strides to improve it. He isn't a bad choice, but I don't think he would be able to effectively sell the party in the west. Prime Ministers really need to be fluent in both languages. Remember Stephane Dion? That's what a poor grasp of English can do to a party.

I would bet that if Bernier were elected leader, Blaney would be a contender for public safety minister again. If he were handed Bernier's proposed firearms reform mandate and told to get 'er done, I am sure we would be pleased with the result.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Parts-Unknown (yes same town where all the wrestlers come from)
    I'm working on the Bernier campaign in London.
    If anyone wants to sign up to support Maxime, let me know. AA
    You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened... or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the Fxck on! Tupac Shakur

Quote Originally Posted by Claybuster View Post
    It's a preferential ballot so you get up to ten choices. When your first choice drops off the ballot then your vote is applied to your second choice candidate if he/she is still in the race. Bernier and O'Toole are my 1 and 2 but I haven't decided the order or whether I'll support someone else too.

There may be a dark horse entering the race. Nominations close on the 24th so there is still over a week to go. Candidates may also drop out until the end of March meaning the field may narrow before voting day.
    Thank you very much Mr Claybuster for the clarifications on this subject. In this case it would be better to put no1 and no2. Would there be any advantage in only putting one choice ?
    Left wing, right wing, they belong to the same bird.

CGN frequent flyer
    I just bought my self 5 year conservative membership and a Ticket to CPC leadership race debate on the 28th in Edmonton. I am liking him more and more.
    He is against C16 and he wants to actually make fire arms laws less convoluted. He is not perfect but he will do.

CGN Regular
    I just joingd a political party for the first time. Bernier is a strong #1 for me at the moment and O'Toole would be the #2.
    As long as O'Leary doesn't get in....