Page 55 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3545474849505152535455565758596061626365 ... LastLast

Thread: We need to support Maxime Bernier

O'Leary is going to alienate a lot of conservative voters. He is not the Trump of Canada. More like Hillary who pushed a lot of her support base away. Andrew Scheer from Regina, Saskatchewan all the way. He understands the predicament of the west, firearms and carbon tax included. He has the support of a lot of conservative MPs, was a speaker of the house of commons. Yes, speaks French. The most important part though is he actually listens and care about his constituents.

Quote Originally Posted by TJspeller View Post
    O'Leary's campaign has been a disaster in every way. .......
    Nice disaster. He's leading. Go Kevin!

Quote Originally Posted by savagefan View Post
    I just wish a politician would come along that actually kept their word and did what was best for Canada no matter what , would be a nice change eh lol. We had him, but along came turdo.
    They do come along from time to time, we just don't support them when they are candidates, arguing "they will never get elected". So we pick someone else to run and then complain about the results.

Not saying it's a simple problem - we pick candidates based in large part on our perception of whether they can win votes from an ill-informed electorate - but we either need to start piling up support behind candidates we believe *would* keep their word when elected or we're going to end up with Trump clones running the world. And Taco Bell taking over all the restaurants.

If we are not going to VERY aggressively support candidates we trust then the only other option is finding someone who is willing to lie shamelessly to get elected (while being scrupulously honest with us) then revert back to being honourable once they are in office.

EDIT - BTW this is not meant to be a snotty response to people who disagreed with me earlier, I'm just trying to say that there are a couple of different ways to approach this:

1. Support the "least awful" candidate that you think has a good chance of getting elected

2. Support "most desireable" candidate that you think has some chance of getting elected

I haven't had a chance to watch all the debates so going mostly on chances to meet candidates F2F... so there's going to be some "eastern" bias I need to work through.
    Last edited by bridgman; 04-09-2017 at 04:56 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stormchaser's Avatar
    Looks like CBC is taking tips from North Korea. Start the social programming with the children.

I think this is why the Conservatives need someone like O'Leary who has a personality to defeat Trudeau because he's got to defeat Trudeau and the CBC.

"And here, children, we have a picture of some animals heading for extinction... "

Quote Originally Posted by Stormchaser View Post
    Looks like CBC is taking tips from North Korea. Start the social programming with the children.

Maxime Bernier is a good choice because his firearms policy is solid plus he has the best chance of getting elected and actually implementing his improvements.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormchaser View Post

I think this is why the Conservatives need someone like O'Leary who has a personality to defeat Trudeau because he's got to defeat Trudeau and the CBC.

Yeah personality is what I want in a PM. If that was the case Trudeau would win again

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsmith8 View Post
    Maxime Bernier is a good choice because his firearms policy is solid plus he has the best chance of getting elected and actually implementing his improvements.
    I give you the most likely to win but I seriously doubt half of what he has promised will get through. Odds are he gets in all of a sudden he will start with the public safety spiel

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_B View Post
    Do you really think that Trump is that popular here in Canada?
    Because that's how O'Leary is being marketed/perceived (inaccurate though that may be).
    If the CPC chooses O'Leary then on election night, we'll get a chance to see Canada roast Trump in effigy.

On a "positive" note, Kim Campbell will find herself flooded with requests for interviews.
    Who said anything about trump?
    Trump and o'leary are entirely different critters.
    Trump launched missiles against an oppressive regime that was using chemical weapons against its own people recently.
    Actually did something in the real world to solve a problem.
    The canadians would have talked it to death.
    No comparison to be had.
    I wish we did have a real trump up here in canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsmith8 View Post
    Don t forget to able to afford guns and range memberships, and enjoy our sport we need to work, have a safe country to live in, with good health care and education for our kids. I enjoy firearms, but to be perfectly honest it is not top of my list. But all of the candidates I am considering will be good to firearms owners, we'll they say they will.