Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Wanstalls: A Day at the Gun Shop" (or, "Why I Will Be Broke for the Rest of M Life")

Thumbs up "Wanstalls: A Day at the Gun Shop" (or, "Why I Will Be Broke for the Rest of M Life")

Yes this is long, but you don't have to read it ;-)

So, I have a tac-rifle course tomorrow and will be using my new AR -15 build for it. After having it assembled for weeks, I was going to take it in to Matt at Wanstalls to give it a once over, secure the gas block for me and make sure everything was safe and ready to fire.

The last time I had some time to take it in, we were hit by the big snow storm and the city shut down, so it was a no-go. My hours at work are the same as Wanstalls, so I haven't been able to get in there until today, really pressing my luck for time. Since assembly, I made some upgrades to my rifle, and in the process, somehow I screwed up and the bolt wouldn't rotate into the barrel, setting off instant panic mode, having no clue on how to fix it or how big of a problem it was.

I took my rifle in today, no longer being a "quick once over" trip to my hometown shop, instead, bringing my baby there in pieces, feeling like an idiot.

In steps Matt! After taking a look at the problem I was having, for a short time, there were two confused men at that counter (with the A.D.D. not helping and me being distracted by the awesome optics under the glass below), do Matt took my broken baby downstairs to his AR lab. When he returned, all was well, with a once lodged detent pin now resting in his scraped up hand (sorry Matt, she does bite sometimes!).

Matt then spent the better part of two hours disassembling and stripping down my firearm, cleaning everything, showing me how to properly lubricate every part, and then the easiest way to reassemble it. By the time he was done, I had a flawless and beautiful AR-15, fully functional, spotless and thoroughly lubricated and ready to go!

Matt worked hard to make sure that not only did I have a safe and functional firearm, but that I had a good understanding of whatever I did not know about it; all while still answering the phone for other customers and making sure that everyone in the store was promptly attended to and assisted by the rest of the Wanstalls crew!

Matt, you helped me through my crisis, didn't make me feel like an idiot for my lack of knowledge, had me feel confident in working on my firearm in the future, helped me in a time of desperation and definitely made me feel like I made a new friend (your name is Matt, right?)! The offer to help me anytime with any questions on my next build, no strings attached, was a classy move and I am in your debt (sorry man, I didn't know you didn't take bit-coin)! Seriously, I can't thank you enough for your help!

Aside from the reason I went to Wanstalls, you know I had to look around, handle some pistols, ask some questions, rub elbows with the industry elite, and at some point, interacted with the rest of the crew in the store. You guys are all amazing! Always friendly, knowledgeable, passionate about your own favorite firearms, encourage questions and not once did I feel pressured or uncomfortable from anyone I spoke with. You were all amazing with every customer that came through and it felt like an awesome social event, watching the familiarity between the customers that came in and the staff manning the shop.

Thank you boys, you made my "Day at the Gun Shop" an experience I'll never forget!!!
    Planning on living forever. So far, so good!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    So what kind of AR are you running? Maybe I can recognize you by your rifle at CASE tomorrow!

And Wanstall's has been a sponsor for TAC rifle at TMSA for a long time. So good that you are supporting them!
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN frequent flyer
    Great to hear! Wanstalls rocks, they have excellent customer relations, IMO, and a generous sponsor as well. Now to get your clean, lubed, functional AR all dirty at TacRifle tomorrow.
    CSSA CCFR

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CobraGT's Avatar
    If your rifle blows up tomorrow, no worries, I'm bringing a spare you can use ;-)
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intelligor illis
    EE Ads: Insurance is NOT included on any agreed "shipped" price!
    I take no responsibility for an EE item once it has been shipped.

I remember when my father and I first got into firearms, we went to Wanstalls to get our first rifle, a simple ordinary old Mosin. I must say, I was expecting to be ignored and given less respect for looking to get a mere cheapo $200 Mosin, with priority being given to the people next to us who looked like they were ready to drop a whole lot more money on something. Nonsense. We were warmly greeted, patiently and happily dealt with by one of the staff (I wish I could remember his name to give him praise here), and generally had a good experience there.

Thank you Wanstalls!
    I will be gone with no reception or internet from this Friday (Aug 30) until Monday (Sept 2), If you message me on Friday or during the weekend, I will only be able to get back to you on late Monday or Tuesday.

Hands down the best gunshop in the lower mainland!!!
    Pew pew pew

The last two times I was in Wanstall's I actually, with surprising willpower, walked out empty handed.

Every time I view their website, I find my resolve to budget quickly fading!!!!
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

I'll add to this.
    Canpar completely ignored the "delivery address" and instead took my stuff to the billing address, leaving one of their "we'll let you know where you can pick it up" notes. (As if I paid for delivery to go driving around f#<%ing town to get it myself.)
    I called Ryan. As always, courteous and competent. He fixed it in less than a 1/2 hour, and called me back to let me know all was well. It was delivered to my office promptly thereafter.
    I REALLY appreciate this kind of customer service. This is a big reason why I keep shopping at Wanstalls. Top notch IMO.
    Last edited by bcbravo2zero; 02-25-2017 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

CGN Regular
    If wanstalls took Bitcoin I'd be in serious trouble !

Quote Originally Posted by Still alive View Post
    So what kind of AR are you running? Maybe I can recognize you by your rifle at CASE tomorrow!

And Wanstall's has been a sponsor for TAC rifle at TMSA for a long time. So good that you are supporting them!
    It's hilarious how many people there were saying "You're CravingGlory? Hey, I read your posts on CGN!" What a great group of guys and amazing experience that was!
    Planning on living forever. So far, so good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast