Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you get the BaoFeng BF-F8HP radio

Quote Originally Posted by bush1 View Post
    Just a little clarification on your post. The Icom aviation radio you refer to and other aviation portables transmit and receive on VHF frequencies from 118 to 136 MHz which are reserved for aviation purposes only. They are expensive radios and serve no other purpose other than aviation related activities. As Meroh pointed out there are penalties for unauthorized use.
    I use an avitatiin unicom and hold my restricted radio operators license. I know that aircraft unicoms are NOT AM frequencies. They are vhf and even uhf freqs.

I have been running them for years with the team I'm with for the other hobby and I can't say a bad thing about them. I have beaten it through hell and back and it still keeps on going. Hardest part is understanding the program side of it. But we have a comms guy who does that for us.

Quote Originally Posted by IHMSA View Post
    uv-5r are vhf/uhf radios,, aircraft freqs are AM.
    You will probably need an expensive radio for airbands.
    I have an iCOM 80-AD that picks up air traffic from the skies around Toronto. It does receive AM though does not transmit AM - only transmits in the VHF/UHF amateur bands. Cost me a lot more than the Baofengs...

http://www.icomcanada.com/products/amateur/amateur_ic-80ad.html (This model has been replaced by something else now)

WS
    "Rights are not a matter of numbers - and there can be no such thing, in law or in morality, as actions forbidden to an individual, but permitted to a mob." - Ayn Rand
    CSSA - ... - OFAH

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Beater's Avatar
    so much miss information.

AM = Amplitude Modulation
    FM = Frequency Modulation

VHF = Very High Frequency
    UHF = Ultra High Frequency

VHF BAND = 118-174 Mhz
    UHF BAND = 410-512 Mhz

the stock UV=5R radios operate in the VHF 136-174 Mhz and UHF bands 410 -512 Mhz and receive and transmit in the FM mode not AM. Aircraft bands are in the VHF band and are mostly all around and in the 118-128 Mhz area, and operate in the AM mode.
    the radio will also receive in the FM broadcast band 65-108 FM/
    technically speaking because the radio will transmit in the HAM bands you are supposed to have a licenced for the radio. however, if you are HAM because this radio will opereate OUTSIDE the HAM bands it is not allowed to be used in the HAM bands ether. But nobody looks anymore to see what you are using for a radio.
    if you are a commercial operator you are supposed to buy a licence from the gov, and get assigned a frequency, but again because these radios will operate in the HAM bands they are against the rules to use them commercially, and again, nobody looks anymore, nobody cares what you are using for equipment.

however, there are so many out there, and so few who care about that stuff, you will never be in trouble using them as long as you stay out of the ham bands and do not bother any commercial opperators, or the RCMP who still use the VHF band.

I have several, use them on the farm, for hunting, for whatever just don't bother others stick the the FRS frequincys and you will be fine

so the bottom line is buy them use them have fun enjoy, don't bother anyone, stay out of the ham bands, and you will be fine
    Last edited by Beater; 05-08-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    payment within 24 hours , if not i retain the right to cancel the deal

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Beater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flyte1976 View Post
    I use an avitatiin unicom and hold my restricted radio operators license. I know that aircraft unicoms are NOT AM frequencies. They are vhf and even uhf freqs.
    vhf and uhf are frequency blocks, areas. those frequincys can be transmitted on in AM, FM and DIGITAL the two are separate

aircraft operate mostly in the 118.000 - 128.999 Mhz AREAS of the VHF band, and they operate in the AM mode. lots of ground traffic and fuel ect ect in the airport may operate in both VHF and UHF , AM and FM modes, but tower to aircraft or ground to aircraft is all AM mode. for the long distances the also use SW mode and operate in the 5.5 Mhz area
    Last edited by Beater; 05-08-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    payment within 24 hours , if not i retain the right to cancel the deal

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SigWig's Avatar
    Canam no longer selling radios?

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SigWig View Post
    Canam no longer selling radios?
    Yes, we have a new batch coming soon

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    Any thoughts on when they're coming? I bought a batch of 5R's last year looking for some more ... and maybe a couple antenna's, programming cable ...

Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    ETA on radios? Will need to buy a bunch soon.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Member of the CCFR

CANAM ETA would be fantastic. And to confirm they are the 8w BaoFeng BF-F8HP

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast