A to Z breakdown on getting a firearm license

Marcelj1221

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I've been browsing the forum and I'm having difficulty finding a breakdown of the process between deciding on getting into shooting/hunting and the day you pick up your first gun. I'm particularly interested in non restricted for now. I'm located in Ontario. Any info would help thanks.

Hey, Welcome.

You'll need to start with a Canadian Firearms Safety Course.(google it) If you're around the GTA, there's a number of business that offer the course. It's a good opportunity to learn, and will outline the following steps to take.

If you are elsewhere in ON, just say where, and others will point you in the right direction.

If you Google "non-restricted firearms license Canada" the GOV website has an OK outline, along with a few other websites.

If you use the search option (not that I've checked) I imagine that there should be some info on this site also

ITB

A - Locate / Sign up for course / Pay for course.
B- Take course and pass course. -Upon passing the instructor will give you the appropriate paperwork to move forward.
C-Mail paperwork to CFO's office in Orillia to be "approved".
D-Go get photo taken -passport style
E-Wait....
F-Receive "approved" paperwork back from CFO
G-Mail photo, application, references, and proof of successfully completed safety course to CFP in Miramichi, NB
H- Wait. (go visit your local gun store)
I-Wait. (search the internet night and day with excitement)
J-Wait. (grow impatient but remain excited)
K-Hopefully get PAL or RPAL card in mail - best day ever.
L- Go buy non-restricted and take it home right away.

-Hunting requires more courses.
-Do your RPAL course at the same time, it's more streamlined and less waiting. It's a license, even if you don't use the Rpal portion, you'll have it in the future....when you decide that you do want it.

Restricted purchases you don't get the firearm that day, the transfer has to be approved by the CFO, so more waiting there... The CFO will want you to be a member of a gun club, eventually, or declare collector status..

I could have missed a step, and the latter portion has way more to talk about, but my fingers are tired.. :)

ITB

B- Take course and pass course. -Upon passing the instructor will give you the appropriate paperwork to move forward.
E-Wait....
G-Mail photo, application, references, and proof of successfully completed safety course to CFP in Miramichi, NB
H- Wait.
I-Wait.
J-Wait.
K-Hopefully get card in mail - best day ever.

-Do your RPAL course at the same time, it's more streamlined and less waiting. It's a license, even if you don't use the Rpal portion, you'll have it in the future....when you decide that you do want it.

Restricted purchases you don't get the firearm that day, the transfer has to be approved by the CFO, so more waiting there... The CFO will want you to be a member of a gun club, eventually, or declare collector status..

I could have missed a steps, and the latter portion has way more to talk about, but my fingers are tired.. :)

ITB

So True Hah. I should have done it right away.. after getting my PAL in the mail I then decided to do the RPAL. End up paying more money and waiting longer to get the license, should have done it all together.

E-Wait....
H- Wait. (go visit your local gun store)
I-Wait. (search the internet night and day with excitement)
J-Wait. (grow impatient but remain excited)
K-Hopefully get PAL or RPAL card in mail - best day ever.

I could have missed a step, and the latter portion has way more to talk about, but my fingers are tired.. :)

ITB

Nail on the head.
You can take your 'Hunter Safety Course' online these days. Makes it easier. I've had mine since I was 4 or 5. Still have the original paper, 25 years later. Haha.

Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for. Just one question. Who can I get references from. Does it have to be a licensed person or something more specific?

Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for. Just one question. Who can I get references from. Does it have to be a licensed person or something more specific?

The form outlines it, I forget, but it's a character reference, that you have known for 5(?) + years. A teacher, friend, employer, nothing too wild.

ITB

wait wait wait,step c there with the mailing of the shiznit to the cfo,is the instructor supposed to do that or did i miss something when i sent all my #### to miramichi after i had to wait 2 and a half months for my stamped proof?

For those in Quebec, H, I and J could be repeated a dozen times.... we like it slow and painful lol. P.S. I've visited all the gun stores in my area... trying the same shotgun over and over. Gosh I'm impatient.

For those in Quebec, H, I and J could be repeated a dozen times.... we like it slow and painful lol. P.S. I've visited all the gun stores in my area... trying the same shotgun over and over. Gosh I'm impatient.

Gun ownership in Canada is a test of patience from start to finish, every step of the way... Think of it as a continual mental health check. lol

ITB

You'll probably have to do a phone interview too if you go for your RPAL, which i recommend. I was lucky enough to get a very cranky young lady who tried to trip me up with her questions. Stupid questions, stupid answers.

Back
Top Bottom