Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alexander arms 17ar

CGN Regular
    Hmmm no you don't its a rimfire no barrel length restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot762x51 View Post
    Hmmm no you don't its a rimfire no barrel length restrictions
    This was the reply rick from atrs got on this same question about a dedicated rimfire upper

Good afternoon Rick,

Your question has been referred to me. I understand the specific question to be the classification of a rifle with a 22 Long Rifle (rimfire) barrel mounted on the receiver of a semiautomatic centre fire rifle (the Modern Sporter), temporarily replacing the centre fire barrel. You also mention that the overall length will never be less than 660 mm (26 inches) on folding of telescoping stock models.

Given the above, the provisions which render a rifle a restricted firearm via a folding or telescoping stock, would not apply.

Thus the determining factor, and the precise point of your question, would be whether the 470 mm barrel length provision applies. In this case, I believe it does.

The description of the firearm clearly establishes that it is not a prohibited firearm, but also establishes the underlying firearm is capable of discharging centrefire ammunition in a semiautomatic manner, even though that is not what is intended when the 22LR barrel is installed.

The remaining factor is the length of the barrel, which would result in a restricted firearm classification if the barrel length were less than 470 mm; and with a longer barrel, non-restricted.

So if a non-restricted outcome is desired, the barrel length of the 22LR barrel must be over 470 mm (18.5 inches).

Regards,

Murray A. Smith
    Manager,
    Specialized Firearms Support Services
    Firearms Investigative and Enforcement Support Services Directorate
    Canadian Firearms Program
    Specialized Policing Services

CGN Regular
    WELL F#%$ just get a Custom barrel made then

WELL F#%$ just get a Custom barrel made then
    Still has to be over 470mm even if it's a custom barrel to maintain nr status

CGN Regular
    yes that's with I meant by saying ( Custom Barrel )

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazinDayz View Post
    WTF?! Just making up rules as they go......
    Attachment 246414
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

yes that's with I meant by saying ( Custom Barrel )
    Going custom barrel I'd go for 17 remington or similar. Extra oomph

Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    This was the reply rick from atrs got on this same question about a dedicated rimfire upper

Good afternoon Rick,

Your question has been referred to me. I understand the specific question to be the classification of a rifle with a 22 Long Rifle (rimfire) barrel mounted on the receiver of a semiautomatic centre fire rifle (the Modern Sporter), temporarily replacing the centre fire barrel. You also mention that the overall length will never be less than 660 mm (26 inches) on folding of telescoping stock models.

Given the above, the provisions which render a rifle a restricted firearm via a folding or telescoping stock, would not apply.

Thus the determining factor, and the precise point of your question, would be whether the 470 mm barrel length provision applies. In this case, I believe it does.

The description of the firearm clearly establishes that it is not a prohibited firearm, but also establishes the underlying firearm is capable of discharging centrefire ammunition in a semiautomatic manner, even though that is not what is intended when the 22LR barrel is installed.

The remaining factor is the length of the barrel, which would result in a restricted firearm classification if the barrel length were less than 470 mm; and with a longer barrel, non-restricted.

So if a non-restricted outcome is desired, the barrel length of the 22LR barrel must be over 470 mm (18.5 inches).

Regards,

Murray A. Smith
    Manager,
    Specialized Firearms Support Services
    Firearms Investigative and Enforcement Support Services Directorate
    Canadian Firearms Program
    Specialized Policing Services
    This is simply illogical. The barrel only fires a 22lr projectile. Along with the bolt, it is the component of the firearm which makes it a rimfire. Why would this particular component need to adhere to centrefire restrictions?
    And gotta love answers which include "I believe"....
    ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge

CGN Regular
    My friend we live in the land of Liberal at the moment let's start clicking are heals and wish for a logical & conservative government in canada lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazinDayz View Post
    This is simply illogical. The barrel only fires a 22lr projectile. Along with the bolt, it is the component of the firearm which makes it a rimfire. Why would this particular component need to adhere to centrefire restrictions?
    And gotta love answers which include "I believe"....
    Yes I agree it is illogical but so are the rest of our gun laws so really its par for the course. I can see where Murray is co.ing from but I also see the other side. The ms and slr were originally designed as centerfire rifles. But rifles originally made as rimfire can have a barrel under 18.6". Our laws here are about as clear as mud and I believe they are that way to trap people in a grey area where the opinion of the judge is the deciding factor not common sense

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123