Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington R1 1911 Centennial Edition sight issue

Remington R1 1911 Centennial Edition sight issue

Hello,

Ever since I purchased my R1, it has consistently shot about 5" low and 3-4" left. At first I thought it was my technique while getting used to a new pistol, but I have shot around 500 rounds through it and had several other experienced shooters have the same issue. What should I do? I would rather not replace the gold front sight.

Have you tried more than one brand of ammo?

Taller rear sight?
    Member CCFR
    Proud supporter of Wounded Warriors Canada
    Decaf is the Devil's drink.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Depends on how far you're shooting. 5'' low + 4'' left is 6.4'' off. At 7-15 meters, that's not a sight problem, that's a bent barrel. At 50 meters it can be either.

If it's the barrel you can't fix that yourself imho. You could confirm the barrel is the problem by swapping barrel with another 1911 of the same length (it's a 5'' barrell, so you'll find plenty of people at your local firing range who will have a 1911 of the same barrell length...), but fixing it will most likely require a new barrel.

Not fun to get a lemon for that price...

Ive tried probably 5 or 6 different types of ammo. The 5" low and 3-4" left is at 21 feet. still shoots low left at 15 feet. Its consistent, Ive gone so far as to aim 5" high and 3-4" right and I am bang on. Just annoying as hell. And the round count is probably closer to 1000-1500 through it. A barrel problem is an easy fix, I just don't want to have to replace the front sight.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstfishman View Post
    Ive tried probably 5 or 6 different types of ammo. The 5" low and 3-4" left is at 21 feet. still shoots low left at 15 feet. Its consistent, Ive gone so far as to aim 5" high and 3-4" right and I am bang on. Just annoying as hell. And the round count is probably closer to 1000-1500 through it. A barrel problem is an easy fix, I just don't want to have to replace the front sight.
    No way ammos are the problem then. I don't think a fixed sight on a brand new gun can be so bad that it shoots 6'' off at 7 yards. My bet would be on the barrel being bent. It could also be a sloppy barrel bushing, but it would mostly have an effect on the size of your groupings.

The barrel in a centennial edition is match-grade I think, so you're looking at a couple hundred bucks if you want a new one. But swapping the barrel for any other 1911 barrel, even a cheap norinco, will tell you immediately if that's your problem and it takes about 20 seconds to test (as long as you can borrow a barrel from someone, or if you own another 1911).

If the problem is your sights, then left/right is easily fixed by moving the rear sight with a rear sight tool, but up/down you'd need to change the front sight. The reason I don't believe your sight is the problem is because in order to shoot higher, you need a lower front sight, but to shoot 5'' higher at 7 yards, you'd need a front sight so low it would be negative height.

Either way, the problem should be fixed by whoever sold you the gun, or whoever is responsible for canadian warranties. I would contact the retailer directly and ask for instructions for exchange or warranty/repair (maybe after testing a different barrel, so maybe you can come up to them with both the problem and the solution). Failing that, You might look for a competent gunsmith in your area.

Good luck!

Go down the full check list like your buying it as a used gun. Minor movement not a big deal, lots of movement not good. A loose barrel bushing is possible and you will spot this during the fit check. Strip it down and look every part over with a flash light, look for uneven wear. Is there wear on one side of the bushing and barrel? Use a bore light if you have one or a flash light held at an angle and examine the bore, look for any weird wear, hemorrhoid at or close to muzzle. Take a section of cleaning rod and check the rod for straightness. Lay it in the belly of the bore and using the light look at the light passing under the rod, you should see the rifling making contact front to rear all around the barrel as you spin the barrel. Again look for any thing weird. If light shows through at the end or in the middle with no contact the barrels bent, it doesn't take much to throw rounds up, down or sideway. Can't see Rem putting sights that bad on a pistol. If you spot anything do as VinnyQC said time to talk to who ever you bought it from.
    Last edited by grumpyold; 03-10-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    I don't argue with stupid people, they draw me down to their level and beat me with experience.
    "Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid" John Wayne.

CGN frequent flyer
    Pretty hard to find a bent 5 inch barrel it is either ammo or sight or if you are right handed you could be curling trigger finger and pulling left and a unconscious dropping wrist to compensate for recoil!

My Remington R1S shot low and left. And yes, I own other 1911's, wasn't technique. Answer was simple, called the Gravel Agency, and ordered the OEM lower front sight Remington makes for this pistol. When I installed in the dove tail, I simply accounted for windage. There are different bullet weights. Heavier shoots higher. Can't have a sight that has perfect elevation for everyone....
    A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.

Shot placement is king; adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is just angels dancing on the heads of pins

Quote Originally Posted by cheapsk8 View Post
    My Remington R1S shot low and left. And yes, I own other 1911's, wasn't technique. Answer was simple, called the Gravel Agency, and ordered the OEM lower front sight Remington makes for this pistol. When I installed in the dove tail, I simply accounted for windage. There are different bullet weights. Heavier shoots higher. Can't have a sight that has perfect elevation for everyone....
    The front sight is gold. I would rather not replace it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast