Questions of submitting application for PAL

Andrewhl

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
I just passed my non-restricted and restricted firearm exam this weekend. Now I am eager to submit my PAL application.
However, after reading through the Information sheet and forms of application from RCMP, I realized that I have several issues here. Hope you guys can come up some suggestions.

1. Non-criminal record check for new resident of Canada
I am a new immigrant first came here on 2014 Nov. Before that, I lived in U.S. as a temporary resident from 2012-2013, then stayed in China( my origin country )from 2012-2013. In this case, do I have to provide RCMP non criminal record, FBI non criminal record and Chinese non criminal record? For how long will those records be valid for PAL applications? (FBI ones usually takes 3 months and I already had one issued last summer. So if I can avoid the waiting, it would be much easier for me.)

2.Divorce issue
I got my divorce certificate issued mid-2015, and I cannot get a hold of my ex-spouse right now, so I cannot provide her address/cell numbers/signatures.
should I just wait for a couple of months until 2 years period pass then submit the application to avoid the trouble? or will RCMP accept my application even I cannot provide any information about my ex-spouse besides her name?

3.Reference
I've only been staying in Canada over 2 years. So there is no way I can find anyone knows me more than 3 years inside Canada. Most of my old friends are in the States and China. Is it ok for me to put their information on the Ref section? Or is it mandatory the Ref should be Canadian residents?
If it is mandatory to provide Canadian reference information, can I just put my Canadian friends who know me over 2 years? Or do I have to wait for another 8-10 months in order to have qualified References?

4.Validity of Firearm course test result
when will the Firearm course test result, (Both non-restricted and the restricted) be expired? For example, Do I have to attend another set of courses/exams if I submit my PAL application one year later ?

I know it's a lot of situations but I really would like to get my PAL and get to know firearms as soon as possible.
Any advice is welcome! Cheers

For point 1 and 2 I have no idea. For the references, I don't think it is an issue if they are not Canadian because it is possible for visitors to get a PAL. Similarly there is no expiration to the course results, once you pass it is good forever.

For point 1 and 2 I have no idea. For the references, I don't think it is an issue if they are not Canadian because it is possible for visitors to get a PAL. Similarly there is no expiration to the course results, once you pass it is good forever.

Thanks !

Just called RCMP to confirm, I will post their answer here just in case anyone has the same situation as I do.

It is mandatory for new residents in Canada (been a resident less than 5 years) to provide non-criminal records of previous resident countries. apparently, they are familiar with the application of immigrants like me.

For those have previously residenced in the States, one thing I would like to bring up is that it is not FBI non-criminal record they are looking for. RCMP is looking for State level police clearance/non-criminal record. Say I lived in California for some time, then I need to apply to Department of Justice of California to get my non criminal record check.

besides, RCMP confirms that they do accept worldwide reference.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I have a question
I applied back in 2013 for my pal but I retracted my application at the time due to issues criminally but was told that if I waited a few years that I would have a better chance of approval so I sent my application in in February of this year and it says it was received by them February 23 I have checked online and it still just shows up as my 2013 application how long will it take to change and how long til I find out if I am approved

Back
Top Bottom